U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-28-2012, 09:56 PM
 
15,034 posts, read 13,621,855 times
Reputation: 6916

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Are the Kazakhs descended from the ancient Scythians or the Saka? Or are they are group that moved out of east asia and into central asia. If the kazakhs were indeed in Kazakhstan all this time, this boggles my mind thinking there were asian people living this close the Europe. Do they have any relations to the Khazars by any chance?
Scythians are Iranian people, where Kazakhs are more similar to Mongols. So most likely their ancestors did move out of east Asia into Central Asia, which originally was populated with Iranian tribes ( at least big part of it.)
Now in terms of relations to Khazars, the answer is probably yes and no, because ( at least Russians) consider Khazars not homogenous group, but rather a result of combination of three ethnic groups; Iranian, Turkic and Finno-Ugric. So taking this in consideration, Khazars are only somewhat related to Kazakhs, who themselves are probably combination of Mongolians and Turkic/Altaic people. (Who knows.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2012, 12:24 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Scythians are Iranian people, where Kazakhs are more similar to Mongols. So most likely their ancestors did move out of east Asia into Central Asia, which originally was populated with Iranian tribes ( at least big part of it.)
Now in terms of relations to Khazars, the answer is probably yes and no, because ( at least Russians) consider Khazars not homogenous group, but rather a result of combination of three ethnic groups; Iranian, Turkic and Finno-Ugric. So taking this in consideration, Khazars are only somewhat related to Kazakhs, who themselves are probably combination of Mongolians and Turkic/Altaic people. (Who knows.)
Still, i love how Kazakhs are a big middle finger to those racial purists. It goes to show that not everyone fits neatly into these racial categories as defined by these racists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 11:46 AM
 
15,034 posts, read 13,621,855 times
Reputation: 6916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Still, i love how Kazakhs are a big middle finger to those racial purists.
"Middle finger"? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 02:22 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
78,603 posts, read 70,482,002 times
Reputation: 76561
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Are the Kazakhs descended from the ancient Scythians or the Saka? Or are they are group that moved out of east asia and into central asia. If the kazakhs were indeed in Kazakhstan all this time, this boggles my mind thinking there were asian people living this close the Europe. Do they have any relations to the Khazars by any chance?
Uzbeks and Kazaks have a high percentage of the R1a genetic marker, the Indo-European (pre-"Scythian") marker. In Uzbeks, this reaches over 60% of their genetic heritage, in Kazakhs, it's around 40%. What happened was that after the last Ice Age, proto-Indo-Europeans migrated into Central Asia, the Altai, and Mongolia. Mongol and Turkic people were just beginning to develop at that time (from an early undifferentiated Turko-Mongol-Tungusic prototype) in Manchuria. Eventually, those "Asiatics" moved west, and mixed with the Indo-Europeans already occupying parts of Inner Asia. So people like the Uzbeks, the Uighurs, the Kazakhs are hybrids resulting from that meeting of Far East and ("Western"- Indo-Euro) Central Asia. At that early point, though, the Indo-Euro contingent were not yet Scythians. They were just nomadic tribes moving around, populating different parts of Inner Asia, and eventually Iran and northern India. When they settled into the desert areas of Western China and created a civilization there, they evolved into the Tocharians. At what point the Scythian mounted warrior tradition developed, I"m not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 07:43 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
"Middle finger"? Why?
They don't neatly fit into the 'white' or 'asian' racial category. Americans would see them as 'mixed'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 08:02 PM
 
15,530 posts, read 13,519,456 times
Reputation: 21236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Still, i love how Kazakhs are a big middle finger to those racial purists. It goes to show that not everyone fits neatly into these racial categories as defined by these racists.
Edit, already answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 08:06 PM
 
15,530 posts, read 13,519,456 times
Reputation: 21236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
They don't neatly fit into the 'white' or 'asian' racial category. Americans would see them as 'mixed'.
You obviously have no idea about the racial categories as defined for EEO and census purposes in the US.

I am not saying I agree with them, as they are pretty much BS and their purpose is BS; but you still show a lack of understanding on how they are currently defined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Burnsville, Minnesota
2,702 posts, read 2,107,318 times
Reputation: 1456
Aren't those countries not very well off because of the former Soviet occupation? Plus, they're just not well known, for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Burnsville, Minnesota
2,702 posts, read 2,107,318 times
Reputation: 1456
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You obviously have no idea about the racial categories as defined for EEO and census purposes in the US.

I am not saying I agree with them, as they are pretty much BS and their purpose is BS; but you still show a lack of understanding on how they are currently defined.
They're Asians. Why? Because their nations are located in Central Asia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 11:32 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
78,603 posts, read 70,482,002 times
Reputation: 76561
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Aren't those countries not very well off because of the former Soviet occupation? Plus, they're just not well known, for whatever reason.
Yes, thanks for bringing the discussion back to topic. This is why they're underrated. They're way off the beaten path, and underdeveloped, so few people know they're interesting places to visit. They're just not on most people's radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top