U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,857 times

Advertisements

My husband is Turkish and my mother is Japanese. I found so many things that were so close in culture I was pretty shocked and amazed. Not to much as food but the way they lived. I was in Japan in the early 70's and felt I had stepped back in to Japan when I lived in Turkey.. the customs are very similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 09:18 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sommerchoice View Post
My husband is Turkish and my mother is Japanese. I found so many things that were so close in culture I was pretty shocked and amazed. Not to much as food but the way they lived. I was in Japan in the early 70's and felt I had stepped back in to Japan when I lived in Turkey.. the customs are very similar.
Interesting. Yes I see some similarities between the Korean and Turkish language, albeit distant, but I think there's some relationship there. I didn't think it would be that similar to Japanese but then again, the Turkish language originates much further east than Anatolia itself.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,057 times
There are many similarities. First of all the foundation stock of of the Japanese race and culture originally came from the Korean peninsula from paleo-siberian (turkic?) Origins. Both Korea and Japan were Highly influenced by Chinese culture and interaction. What makes Japan unique is that Japan had more interaction with a different set of people that that of Korea. Korea on other other hand interacted mainly with China, The ethnic groups to it's north, turkic peoples, mongols, the rare silk road visitor, and more recently both countries have interacted with the world. Linguisticly Japanese is related to Buyeo branch of archaic Korean and modern Korean is defended from the dialect spoken in Shilla. Culturally yes we Koreans love meat, we eat raw meat to, we sit on the ground, and traditionally we sleep on the ground communally. And Goguryeo horse men were famous for thier horsemanship! Being able to ride and fire thier bows accurately at the same time! We also have a long tradition of being skilled at fermenting and preserving food too...maybe not dairy, but with vegetables and seafood. So yes there are many similarities. Even our Hanbok, many thought our national dress originated from Chinese fashion but from what I was taught we have been wearing Hanbok since time immemorial. We got the fashion from the scythians and turks. Okay my 2 cents.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:22 PM

6,195 posts, read 6,358,094 times
The turks and mongols are no more related to Koreans and Japanese than they are to anyone else in the region including northern chinese, tibetans, and manchurians, and Yakuts, merkits, chukhis, Ainu, and the native americans.

Plus our ancestors were not as insular and anti-social as we like to think. There have been cultural exchanges, immigration, and intermarriage between the various peoples of asia for a long time. Same with Europe.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudegirl808 View Post
There are many similarities. First of all the foundation stock of of the Japanese race and culture originally came from the Korean peninsula from paleo-siberian (turkic?) Origins. Both Korea and Japan were Highly influenced by Chinese culture and interaction. What makes Japan unique is that Japan had more interaction with a different set of people that that of Korea. Korea on other other hand interacted mainly with China, The ethnic groups to it's north, turkic peoples, mongols, the rare silk road visitor, and more recently both countries have interacted with the world. Linguisticly Japanese is related to Buyeo branch of archaic Korean and modern Korean is defended from the dialect spoken in Shilla. Culturally yes we Koreans love meat, we eat raw meat to, we sit on the ground, and traditionally we sleep on the ground communally. And Goguryeo horse men were famous for thier horsemanship! Being able to ride and fire thier bows accurately at the same time! We also have a long tradition of being skilled at fermenting and preserving food too...maybe not dairy, but with vegetables and seafood. So yes there are many similarities. Even our Hanbok, many thought our national dress originated from Chinese fashion but from what I was taught we have been wearing Hanbok since time immemorial. We got the fashion from the scythians and turks. Okay my 2 cents.
Gorguryeo apparently wasnt good enough at the horsemanship or archery. They got knocked outta the race pretty quickly.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:14 AM

335 posts, read 354,910 times
Mongolian, Korean, and Northern Chinese are similar, while Japanese, Southern Chinese, and Southeast Asian are similar.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
Mongolian, Korean, and Northern Chinese are similar, while Japanese, Southern Chinese, and Southeast Asian are similar.
Seeing as how China is in the middle of everyone, and is the crossroads, and has the most population, I would say the Chinese that border the other asians are most similar to each of those other asians.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:51 AM

12 posts, read 12,714 times
Mongols are Turks are regarded as nomads, and migrate to many different areas across Asia.
Koreans may be related to Mongols genetically, but their cultures are different. Korea is more influenced by the Northern Han Chinese in culture and is not inland but a peninsula culture.

Japanese is genetically a mixture of Northeastern and Southeastern continental East Asians. This is evident by their heights, which is more similar to South Chinese and SE Asians than the tall Koreans, Mongols and Northern Han Chinese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post

Old 12-26-2014, 11:02 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,599,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch_leggies View Post
Mongols are Turks are regarded as nomads, and migrate to many different areas across Asia.
Koreans may be related to Mongols genetically, but their cultures are different. Korea is more influenced by the Northern Han Chinese in culture and is not inland but a peninsula culture.

Japanese is genetically a mixture of Northeastern and Southeastern continental East Asians. This is evident by their heights, which is more similar to South Chinese and SE Asians than the tall Koreans, Mongols and Northern Han Chinese.
Mongols are not tall, but chunky (just typically). The tallest east Asians are found in northeast China, Shandong peninsula, and maybe Korea peninsula.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:24 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,068,944 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or