U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 12:20 PM

497 posts, read 874,361 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what everyone thought of Turkey, as far as where it's going, what it's future looks like, etc. I'm also wondering about the Turkish Language, as honestly it really will only help you in Turkey and cannot really help you learn another major language.

In my opinion, I see tension growing in the Near Eastern region, as Iran, Egypt, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia all vye for some sort sort of general supremacy. However, I view Turkey as probably having the best shot of control, but its influence slighted thwarted by the language difference that is more pronounced than, say, Persian and Arabic, or Saudi Arabian Arabic and Egyptian Arabic.

Sure, Saudi Arabia has oil, but it lack many other pluses that Turkey and even Iran have....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 12:31 PM

78,813 posts, read 70,635,877 times
Actually, I was considering learning Turkish via Rosetta Stone, because I've always wanted to learn a couple of Siberian Turkic languages (Yakut, Tuvan), and I figured knowing Turkish would help. Also, learning Turkish would help students who want to work in US gov't agencies in Central Asia.

After the fall of the USSR, Turkey took the role of regional power, reaching out to the "stans" of Central Asia, and to some extent, Yakutia. In view of the more recent wars and the need for the US to set up bases in the area, I think those efforts didn't come to much, but it was a great idea while it lasted; playing big brother to emerging Turkic nations.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:47 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,412,919 times
Remember the Ottoman Empire?

Btw Persian is totally unrelated to Arabic. Iranians are, of course, not Arabs either.

What do you mean by 'control' of the region? I kind of see Turkey as as much a part of Europe, politically speaking, as the Middle East.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:04 PM

15,554 posts, read 13,546,109 times
In my opinion, the future of Turkey is great, they are a great mediator between the West and Middle East; they are in a geopolitical strategic location; a good economy, they are not China, but they are not Pakistan either; and they have made great inroads into Central Asia, economically speaking.

As for the language, I see it useful only if Turkey will be your specific interest, many Turks speak English fairly well, and even a street vendor will have some sort of understanding. Many Turks also are fluent in Russian, and has become a level of business language for the area, I have spoken Russian in Turkey more often than English, this of course is also due to the large number of Russian tourists, and Russian being the language of business in Central Asia.

I know a little Turkish, but not enough to say I am at any level of fluency, but I can tell when it is spoken, and get my way around the place.

As a disclaimer, I love Turkey, have traveled there ten times now for various lengths of time and reasons, I have family friends that reside there as well that I would consider relatives.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:16 PM

497 posts, read 874,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Remember the Ottoman Empire?

Btw Persian is totally unrelated to Arabic. Iranians are, of course, not Arabs either.

What do you mean by 'control' of the region? I kind of see Turkey as as much a part of Europe, politically speaking, as the Middle East.
I do not "remember" the Ottoman Empire, but I have researched it. Turkey's history is probably the main reason I'm seriously considering learning Turkish, certainly not for its "easiness." It's for this reason I wonder of its future. Even during the Time of the Ottomans, Egypt had an immense amount of autonomy and control, despite being "controlled" by Istanbul/Constantinople. Turkey never did fully control Northern Africa. That was Egypt's playground, which led to consistent scuffles and skirmishes within the Ottoman Empire between Egypt (colony) and Turkey (colonizer). On top of this, Iran/Persian Empire was always a serous threat to the Ottomans, in fact look here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ire_1914_h.PNG

and then here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...an_1900-en.png

These maps illustrate both the Persian Empire and the Ottoman Empire at the same time, and they were right next to each other and fought A LOT.

I say all this to show that Iran, Turkey, and Egypt have always fought for dominance in the region. Saudi Arabia is now thrown in the mix because of oil and western protection due to said oil (though, with Lybia "opening up" and Angola exporting the same thing, who knows).

Turkey has consistently been viewed as Near East, and has been treated as such. If it was so "European", it would have been in the EU ages ago. It has been BEGGING to enter the EU but most states refuse because Turkey is not "European" enough. Turkey has always wanted to move west, but has settled with controlling the East. Especially now, considering the EU having influence where Turkey used to, Turkey will look even more in the near east region for "colonies" and influence.

I'm well aware the Persian and Arab are different, as I am aware that Iranians are not Arabs. I bring up the language because it is not the same as the majorit of the region, which speaks either Persian or Arabic. I am wondering if this will be a barrier for Turkey

Old 09-02-2012, 04:53 PM

659 posts, read 815,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
In my opinion, the future of Turkey is great, they are a great mediator between the West and Middle East; they are in a geopolitical strategic location; a good economy, they are not China, but they are not Pakistan either; and they have made great inroads into Central Asia, economically speaking.

As for the language, I see it useful only if Turkey will be your specific interest, many Turks speak English fairly well, and even a street vendor will have some sort of understanding. Many Turks also are fluent in Russian, and has become a level of business language for the area, I have spoken Russian in Turkey more often than English, this of course is also due to the large number of Russian tourists, and Russian being the language of business in Central Asia.

I know a little Turkish, but not enough to say I am at any level of fluency, but I can tell when it is spoken, and get my way around the place.

As a disclaimer, I love Turkey, have traveled there ten times now for various lengths of time and reasons, I have family friends that reside there as well that I would consider relatives.

I am from Izmir Turkey and I was speaking English when I was only 5. I remember counting in English to my dad thinking I was so cool. lol

Old 09-07-2012, 11:15 AM

14,798 posts, read 19,028,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
I was wondering what everyone thought of Turkey, as far as where it's going, what it's future looks like, etc. I'm also wondering about the Turkish Language, as honestly it really will only help you in Turkey and cannot really help you learn another major language.

In my opinion, I see tension growing in the Near Eastern region, as Iran, Egypt, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia all vye for some sort sort of general supremacy. However, I view Turkey as probably having the best shot of control, but its influence slighted thwarted by the language difference that is more pronounced than, say, Persian and Arabic, or Saudi Arabian Arabic and Egyptian Arabic.

Sure, Saudi Arabia has oil, but it lack many other pluses that Turkey and even Iran have....
Turkey is a great country. Love it really. I see them having a bright future as of now. Things are changing there for the most part and people are getting very educated there nowadays. The problem is that a lot of people think they either have to have a rug shop, restaurant, or the like. That is kind of changing now though. I do see a bright future, and there's a lot of very intelligent people in that country. I remember meeting this 18 year old kid who was better at English than some people in the US. Funny to me, but very telling. Visiting there, you can tell they want to succeed, even if that means scamming you in a taxi ride. Go to any market a tourist would go to, and you see the natural businessman come out of them.

As far as the Turkish language, I know a little of it. Enough to do a basic conversation with someone in Turkey, but it's not an easy language compared to a french or spanish. It might make learning other languages easier, but I view it just like French. There's around 75 million people in Turkey, although not everyone speaks it, it's spoken in other countries too. There's around 70 million speakers, which is still a lot. A lot of people around the world don't really understand how many people live in the country.

For me, I'm learning it because I decided I want to live in Istanbul or some other cities some day. While people know basic english there, and there's other that know english very well, it's good to learn their language in this case too. Not to mention, learning languages can be fun anyway.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:14 AM

9 posts, read 29,927 times
Regardless of how far Europe wants to go with Turkey, or maybe due to these considerations, it is heartening to me to see Turkey and 3 other Turkic nations form the Turkic Council, and I think they need to work on strengthening their ties and cajoling Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan to join. They need to be careful not to rattle the Russians and Chinese too much at this time, yet they need resolve and strength within their community.
There is no reason why this organization cannot be as influential as the Arab League, or Russia, or the British Commonwealth or French Condominium, in time. And the language is the key to it!

Old 08-31-2014, 03:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,762 times
=http://kalibredost.blogspot.com.tr/]Yar [/[url url]

Old 08-31-2014, 12:35 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,449,460 times
Everyone talks about how great Turkey is doing, and I'm sure that is very true, but nobody ever mentions or talks about the Turkey East of Ankara. What about it? It doesn't look as economically thriving as Istanbul and the Agean/Mediterranean regions. It doesn't even get much tourism. How much is the East benefitting?

What some of the bigger cities in the East look like:

Van
Van, Turkey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dogubeyazit
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doğubeyazıt

Gaziantep
Gaziantep - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or