U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-31-2012, 02:30 PM
 
Location: San Diego
993 posts, read 800,742 times
Reputation: 854

Advertisements

I've heard that Vietnam, Thailand and Hong Kong are all great places for custom shirts/suits, etc. and I'm planning on doing my first Asia (unless you count Israel/Jordan as Asia) trip sometime in 2013 assuming the world doesn't end

I really want custom clothing to wear to work every day, I love having tailored pants, shirts that are cut to fit me, etc. but I don't have the budget to do that here in America where those cost $200+. Where in Asia is this cheapest and of the highest quality? I'm very slender and buying clothing off the rack makes me look like I'm wearing a bigger man's clothing because it's all cut too big for me. I can't even find pants in my size in stores (28" waist x 32" length), so custom items would be awesome.

While I know that the custom clothing is not the only reason to visit Asia, I will find plenty to do in whichever country/city is considered the best place for this.

Thanks in advance for your help people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2012, 03:37 PM
 
1,269 posts, read 3,415,317 times
Reputation: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
I've heard that Vietnam, Thailand and Hong Kong are all great places for custom shirts/suits, etc. and I'm planning on doing my first Asia (unless you count Israel/Jordan as Asia) trip sometime in 2013 assuming the world doesn't end

I really want custom clothing to wear to work every day, I love having tailored pants, shirts that are cut to fit me, etc. but I don't have the budget to do that here in America where those cost $200+. Where in Asia is this cheapest and of the highest quality? I'm very slender and buying clothing off the rack makes me look like I'm wearing a bigger man's clothing because it's all cut too big for me. I can't even find pants in my size in stores (28" waist x 32" length), so custom items would be awesome.

While I know that the custom clothing is not the only reason to visit Asia, I will find plenty to do in whichever country/city is considered the best place for this.

Thanks in advance for your help people!
You're not very far from Vancouver, BC, where we have a significant population of slender build. Try our boutiques and departmental stores and get the right fit with clothing.

On a recent trip to Asia, work-related, I helped a friend (who owns manufacturing facilities in Canada) to gather market info. The styles, the cutting, the fabrics used over there will look outlandish 99% of the time when worn here in North America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2012, 07:13 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
You're not very far from Vancouver, BC, where we have a significant population of slender build. Try our boutiques and departmental stores and get the right fit with clothing.

On a recent trip to Asia, work-related, I helped a friend (who owns manufacturing facilities in Canada) to gather market info. The styles, the cutting, the fabrics used over there will look outlandish 99% of the time when worn here in North America.
Vancouver is still in Canada, and as far as I know, they don't make more clothes of smaller sizes just because many Asians live there.

There are actually some brands that carry your size. For example, Club Monaco definitely has 28*32 pants. H&M etc too. I have even seen 28*34 pants, only yesterday. But admittedly there are not many.

Of course if you travel to Asian countries, such as China, Vietnam, Thailand etc, why not make a lot of customized clothes? They are extremely cheap ($10-$20 including the fabric depending on where you go). You can buy your own fabric too if you want.

Both US and Canada are weird countries. I understand there are lot of really really fat people therefore there is a demand, but don't we seen every time clothes are on sale, they are predominantly XXL, XXXL etc, like pants with waistlines of 36, 38, 40 even more... year after year, it is the extra large size that are one sale, yet the companies don't learn their lesson and keep making too many large clothing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2012, 07:17 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
The styles, the cutting, the fabrics used over there will look outlandish 99% of the time when worn here in North America.
Outlandish, here I guess it means more stylish.
Clothing in North America, for both men and women, are extremely boring I would say. Women don't really care about what they wear until it is really an important occasion. On the streets of Seoul, Tokyo or Shanghai, most girls are dressed very pretty as if on their way to a party. Yeah, sometimes they are overdressed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2012, 07:36 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Reputation: 11862
I had a custom jacket, pants, and shirts made in Hoi An, Vietnam. Tbh, I'm not that happy with the result. 6 months after buying them, the seams are coming undone, the buttons are coming off. It may just be that tailor, though. It also wasn't all THAT cheap. Shop around, and maybe get some unbiased opinions. Hoi An is know for tailoring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2012, 07:50 PM
 
1,269 posts, read 3,415,317 times
Reputation: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Outlandish, here I guess it means more stylish.
Clothing in North America, for both men and women, are extremely boring I would say. Women don't really care about what they wear until it is really an important occasion.
On the streets of Seoul, Tokyo or Shanghai, most girls are dressed very pretty as if on their way to a party. Yeah, sometimes they are overdressed
More like under-dressed.
Her Velvet Vase


Here is our Fall '12 casual wear.
Aritzia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2012, 07:58 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
78,512 posts, read 70,430,585 times
Reputation: 76472
Hong Kong. They're set up to cater to North Americans and Europeans, they've been tailoring business wear for that market for generations. Once you're set up with a tailor there and they have your measurements, you can order anything you want from home. You get high-end tailoring and quality fabrics for a fabulous price. Very popular with businessmen, lawyers, etc. around San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 09:17 AM
 
Location: San Diego
993 posts, read 800,742 times
Reputation: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I had a custom jacket, pants, and shirts made in Hoi An, Vietnam. Tbh, I'm not that happy with the result. 6 months after buying them, the seams are coming undone, the buttons are coming off. It may just be that tailor, though. It also wasn't all THAT cheap. Shop around, and maybe get some unbiased opinions. Hoi An is know for tailoring.
Good information. I heard that Hoi An was a good place to go, but I hadn't heard much about the quality of the construction.

I really would love to get a few custom-fit suits AND take a vacation somewhere cool, but can only do the former if they are really cheap and actually worth the money/effort.

Thanks everyone for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 AM
 
16,437 posts, read 19,127,002 times
Reputation: 9518
Vietnam wasn't good at all during the war; I don't know about now. Hong Kong has been legendary for many, many years for tailored suits. Bangkok is not up to HK standards IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2012, 01:38 AM
JL
 
7,351 posts, read 11,876,045 times
Reputation: 7198
Try Duc Tan tailor in HCMC, Vietnam. Inside district 1, but i can't recall the street. I didn't buy anything there, but my brother-in-law purchased a suit. He seems to have no complaints even after a year. Like always, bargain as much as you can. The best way is to just walk down the streets and check out as many stores for yourself. Just remember, if you're getting some Italian fabric, you're gonna pay more. Also, make sure they are able to have your suit done in a certain time frame that fits your schedule. Some places take several weeks to get it done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top