U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 08:26 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,055,789 times

Advertisements

Whose system is more draconian? Singapore's, where you get your butt whipped, it's over and you never go back to jail. Or the United States?...where a similar offense can send someone to a God-forsaken place for a few years, an experience where they can be damaged psychologically and when they get out they can not find a job...hence, they return to the same stinkhole again and again.

As for the death penalty...I do not believe in it and do not support its use in any country. But what is worse? Twenty years for drugs in an awful inhumane place (San Quentin may not be the worst, but it is definitely up there in misery), followed by complete dis-functionality on the outside. Perhaps being executed is more humane since you will already be dead if you receive a long prison sentence for crack! As for the murderers, I would rather be put against a wall and shot than live the rest of my life at Sing-Sing or a hellhole like that.

So is Singapore that draconian? Who is more inhumane? Personally, I feel the United States is at least right up there with Singapore in the draconian nature of their justice systems. So as an American, I can not criticize their system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 09:46 PM

48,147 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Death penalty for marijuana, corporal punishment in the form of whipping brutal enough that it can send you to the hospital -- why is Singapore so obsessed with brutal vengeful punishments? They make Texas look like Norway, they're like almost as bad as Iran and Saudi Arabia.

Hong Kong doesn't have a death penalty, and they have a similar culture and demographic and they're just as safe as Singapore.
I don't know why. My only theory is that this might have come from Lee Kwan Yew. He was in favor of caning.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Whose system is more draconian? Singapore's, where you get your butt whipped, it's over and you never go back to jail. Or the United States?...where a similar offense can send someone to a God-forsaken place for a few years, an experience where they can be damaged psychologically and when they get out they can not find a job...hence, they return to the same stinkhole again and again.

As for the death penalty...I do not believe in it and do not support its use in any country. But what is worse? Twenty years for drugs in an awful inhumane place (San Quentin may not be the worst, but it is definitely up there in misery), followed by complete dis-functionality on the outside. Perhaps being executed is more humane since you will already be dead if you receive a long prison sentence for crack! As for the murderers, I would rather be put against a wall and shot than live the rest of my life at Sing-Sing or a hellhole like that.

So is Singapore that draconian? Who is more inhumane? Personally, I feel the United States is at least right up there with Singapore in the draconian nature of their justice systems. So as an American, I can not criticize their system.
I think the USA and Singapore have their own versions of draconian. In Singapore, you will get cane, and you will go to prison, which is bad, and you get the death penalty. The USA has a higher incarceration rate than any other nation on earth, even China. I think the difference is this. The USA will send people to prison for a long time, but then people repeat their crimes. In the USA, there is no death penalty for marijuana. However, there is prison time for that. I think it is about how its used. In Singapore, they use more corporal punishment. In the USA, we lock people up.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:15 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times
Although I actually still donate to Amnesty International, sometimes I wonder what's so terrible about corporal punishment? As long as the person is not injured, I mean a few whips of the cane might actually go a long way to discouraging vandalism.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Although I actually still donate to Amnesty International, sometimes I wonder what's so terrible about corporal punishment? As long as the person is not injured, I mean a few whips of the cane might actually go a long way to discouraging vandalism.
Not in the USA. Please remember this. In the USA, we have access to guns. The only reason that I think corporal punishment works in Singapore is because the population is basically disarmed because it is so difficult to get a gun. In the USA, the average vandal might have access to a firearm, so said vandal might respond with deadly force. Some criminals really don't care if they live or die, so it might not be any skin off of their nose to kill someone. Please remember, this is a not an argument against gun ownership. I'm just telling it like it is. Corporal punishment would never work in the USA because we wouldn't allow it.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:23 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,213,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
You won't get the death penalty there for smoking a spliff, just few good ones on your backside and a few years in prison
The death penalty is for traffickable amounts of drugs. Homosexuality is illegal but is not generally enforced.AFP: Singapore court okays challenge to anti-gay law

Hefty fines also keep everyone on their best behaviour.
LOL @ the "No durians" sign. What a strange cultural artifact.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:24 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,213,000 times
Quote:
but like the US, the government wants a passive populace more concerned with the biggest house or condo instead of being concerned with political matters. 'We'll take care of you, you just follow the rules' is their mantra.
Get outta here with that mess.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
LOL @ the "No durians" sign. What a strange cultural artifact.
You ever smelt a Durian?

Old 09-02-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
You ever smelt a Durian?
I have. It smells bad. I hear it doesn't taste very good either.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have. It smells bad. I hear it doesn't taste very good either.
It's a love or hate thing. I'm not a fan, but I don't HATE it.

What other tropical fruits - aside from the usual banana, pineapple, mango - have you tried? I love jackfruit - but when it's juicy, not dry and stringy. Dragonfruit is really good too. But it is hard to beat the mango you can get in SE Asia: so fresh and juicy...actually we grow some really good mango here in Australia too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or