Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 04:07 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,478 times

Advertisements

Death penalty for marijuana, corporal punishment in the form of whipping brutal enough that it can send you to the hospital -- why is Singapore so obsessed with brutal vengeful punishments? They make Texas look like Norway, they're like almost as bad as Iran and Saudi Arabia.

Hong Kong doesn't have a death penalty, and they have a similar culture and demographic and they're just as safe as Singapore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 04:24 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Death penalty for marijuana, corporal punishment in the form of whipping brutal enough that it can send you to the hospital -- why is Singapore so obsessed with brutal vengeful punishments? They make Texas look like Norway, they're like almost as bad as Iran and Saudi Arabia.

Hong Kong doesn't have a death penalty, and they have a similar culture and demographic and they're just as safe as Singapore.

This is a very good question.
Our travel advice is :
Travel Advice for Singapore - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
The Laws are as severe as you can get, although Malaysia would come close.
Corporal punishment for non-violent crimes such as visa offences or vandalism is obscene.
The Death Penalty for Drug Offences likewise are at the highest end of the scale.
After the execution of an Australian citizen there in 2005, I for one, will never travel there.
He admitted his guilt, and showed remorse, but that did not matter to Singaporean authorities.
In fact, drug offences in most Asian countries you are guilty until proven innocent, so one cannot solely single out Singapore on that one.
Singapore has a right to it's soverignty, and has expressed this before, that does not mean we have to respect their laws.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:38 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Our travel advice is :
Travel Advice for Singapore - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Corporal punishment for non-violent crimes such as visa offences or vandalism is obscene.
The Death Penalty for Drug Offences likewise are at the highest end of the scale.
After the execution of an Australian citizen there in 2005, I for one, will never travel there.
He admitted his guilt, and showed remorse, but that did not matter to Singaporean authorities.
In fact, drug offences in most Asian countries you are guilty until proven innocent, so one cannot solely single out Singapore on that one.
Singapore has a right to it's soverignty, and has expressed this before, that does not mean we have to respect their laws.
It's a shame because otherwise it seems like a really cool lil city-state. I'll probably visit there someday anyways, I don't plan to break their laws. I'll just make sure I use the crosswalk at all times!

Old 09-01-2012, 04:58 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Our travel advice is :
Malaysia isn't on the same level as Singapore. That's what the OP is talking about. Like, of course Iran is worse, but who would expect anything else from Iran.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:36 PM

250 posts, read 661,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post

Singapore has a violent crime rate half of that of Hong Kong's and the same as Tokyo, or Newport Beach (a very rich suburb of Los Angeles). Singapore bans homosexuality, but I don't think they execute gays like Saudi Arabia does.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:32 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times
Good gosh, death just for smoking a "J"?? And being gay is illegal?? Gaaa...that's no place I wanna be! I thought this nasty little city-state was bad enough charging $100k just to be able to buy a car (not including the car itself ) Oh yeah, no chewing gum - not allowed...I've known about that one for ages.

Devil's Island would be a better place than Singapore - at least there you know you're in a prison...lol.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:56 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Good gosh, death just for smoking a "J"?? And being gay is illegal?? Gaaa...that's no place I wanna be! I thought this nasty little city-state was bad enough charging $100k just to be able to buy a car (not including the car itself ) Oh yeah, no chewing gum - not allowed...I've known about that one for ages.

Devil's Island would be a better place than Singapore - at least there you know you're in a prison...lol.
From this description, it sounds like a big Disneyland with better food

Old 09-02-2012, 06:43 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,588,117 times
You won't get the death penalty there for smoking a spliff, just few good ones on your backside and a few years in prison
The death penalty is for traffickable amounts of drugs. Homosexuality is illegal but is not generally enforced.AFP: Singapore court okays challenge to anti-gay law

Hefty fines also keep everyone on their best behaviour.

As for the COE tax on cars I think it is good urban planning in a small, crowded city-state. Public transport is much easier and more sensible than driving there.

Singapore is very much an authoitarian, 'do as your told' society in part I think this is due to the group oriented East Asian culture it also doesn't help that the country has been single-handedly ruled by the dynastic Lee family for 50 years now.
Until recent times most people have been willing to accept this in exchange for strong economic growth and governance which is free of corruption. There is however a much stronger push now from younger Singaporeans in particular for a more liberal society and a more humble government.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:56 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
^ Singapore is a quasi one-party state. In fact, since independence in 1963 it's only ever been ruled by one party. Dissenting voices are often silenced harshly, it can be quite politically repressive like that.

The harsh laws, I think, were put into place because the government wanted to create some sort of Utopian society. It's worked in that the crime rate is low, but I wonder how much is actually due to things like corporal punishment or the high execution rate. There are some good things in this push for unity: Singaporeans have a strong unity, there isn't much economic or ethnic based tension etc, but like the US, the government wants a passive populace more concerned with the biggest house or condo instead of being concerned with political matters. 'We'll take care of you, you just follow the rules' is their mantra.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:25 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,588,117 times
^^ Sounds like Singapore to a tee. I can in some ways understand the benefits of an authoritarian government back when it was still a third world country which had experienced race riots and was faced with an uncertain future, I think the need for such tight controls has passed now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia