U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2012, 07:08 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,403,340 times

Advertisements

Fileeath Penalty World Map.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I find it interesting that, of all the continents, Asia is by far the biggest supporter of the death penalty, with the fewest countries as a percentage who do not have the death penalty. The list of the countries which executes the most people include the likes of China, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Singapore...

I think it stems from two things...one lies at the heart of the Confucian concept of 'moral order' at all costs, which partly explains China's very high rate. I don't think it's JUST the repressive autocratic government, as many Chinese influenced states from Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore have it and execute many people. Even the most first world and liberal nations, Japan and South Korea, still have it on the statutes although in practice they execute far fewer (in the case of S.Korea not for a long time).

Of course, Western Asia is known for even tougher laws...in that case it's strict Shariah law, which is not too dissimilar to the laws in Europe in the Middle Ages.

I think even in Africa, more and more countries are getting rid of CP (you might argue it's one of the least of their problems), but Asia will probably have it for awhile. Proponents of CP have argued that China, Singapore, Thailand etc all have low crime rates, but I think that's cultural as much as because of the DP. The exceptions, like Hong Kong, Cambodia and Nepal (and South Korea in practice) have shown that abolishing it does not result in an increase in crime rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 02:52 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,417,721 times
By your logic, your map indicates that the USA adopts the Asian culture.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:00 PM

48,217 posts, read 45,506,708 times
I don't think this is so much Asian culture. I think capital punishment is something that has existed in every society for thousands of years. We still have it in our society, in most states.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:45 AM

570 posts, read 1,505,644 times
Does Asian Culture Promote Capital Punishment?

My answer is No. it's more like Asian culture hasn't change as much as the the western culture.

Go back to history, you will noticed that Europe, Afica they all use capital punishment to control their people.
church kill people for no season other than people had other believe.
Killings for Christianity

USA still has death penalty, they still execute one or two once a while. Capital Punishment existed in every culture.
Some countries, mostly EU countries just changed the law in recent years.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:21 PM

5,095 posts, read 8,071,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think it stems from two things...one lies at the heart of the Confucian concept of 'moral order' at all costs, which partly explains China's very high rate. I don't think it's JUST the repressive autocratic government, as many Chinese influenced states from Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore have it and execute many people.
Where did you get the information about Thailand? While Thailand still has capital punishment on the books, and even issues death sentences, it's seldom carried out. Although there have been a few death sentences that have been carried out, the number is few - not many. Many of the people in death row in Thai prisons have been pardoned or have had their sentences commuted to life in prison. Even now there is an active movement to abolish the death penalty altogether.

December 15, 2010
Already, the number of executions in Thailand has dropped to only two cases in the last six years.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/...ty-in-thailand

August 14, 2012
It is reported from a prison source that an announcement was made this morning in Bang Kwang prison that all prisoners condemned to death and whose legal procedures are completed, will benefit from a royal pardon; their death penalty sentences will be commuted to life imprisonment.
Death Penalty Thailand

Old 09-06-2012, 09:47 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,962,849 times
I believe in CP.

It is a great deterrent to crimes.

Hey, the way I see it...
When there is no more excuses...

Like, Don't do it or you WILL die... guaranteed.
it is Wayyyy better than
Ehhh...
you can maybe "get away" with it...

That "don't do it, OR ELSE" is way better that the "maybe" scenario to deter crimes.
= WHY Singapore is still "so safe" after so many years of CP's practice.
Still can proudly say... a mean "NO" to drugs in our country.

(Just crossing my fingers though in hope of that influx of the new migrant who chose to come here that THEY do not choose to abuse our rules & break our laws so our country can remain in its great qualities of low crimes, safe & be drug free).

Unlike in US, where to be in jail and waiting for the months to even years of wait for the trials to go through...
Where prisoners get free food, free gym, TV, even education etc. from their "to reform" beliefs all on the backs of tax payer's money... when during economic down turns... some commit crime so they can get that "free" meals...
Singapore court systems is swift & they don't wait so law breakers do not abuse the tax payers for food and such.

Besides, a true liberal country that believe in real freedom...
the law should ensure that freedom in its safety as in....
One is "free" so long as they don't purposefully & willingly take away that freedom from someone else.
When they take away another's freedom... (like murder, theft etc.)
It is only "right" that their own "freedom" is FORFEIT!!!

Capital punishment & way of punishment works.

Else, US in their beliefs of "reforming" (compare cities, not country where SG do not have the countryside) will be that safer place than Singapore.
BUT... that is so not true that the reformer way works is it???

That people who seek "excuses" (ohhh why that mistake is made, forgive that mistake) are actually the ones who will need that excuse to advance or be of benefit from that excuse.
Best to do without ANY excuses at all.

CP is the way.

P.S. I don't break the law & have families who don't break the law... so I am NOT afraid of Capital punishment or it being implemented.
So... "if" YOU don't break that law... WHY should YOU be afraid of CP when it has absolutely no effect on YOU????

Old 09-06-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
Does Asian Culture Promote Capital Punishment?

My answer is No. it's more like Asian culture hasn't change as much as the the western culture.

Go back to history, you will noticed that Europe, Afica they all use capital punishment to control their people.
church kill people for no season other than people had other believe.
Killings for Christianity

USA still has death penalty, they still execute one or two once a while. Capital Punishment existed in every culture.
Some countries, mostly EU countries just changed the law in recent years.
Capital punishment has pretty much been a given on every continent.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:15 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,281,369 times
In countries that do not have a tradition of democracy, it is not safe to assume that government policies reflect the sentiments of the culture. In the countries you mentioned in the OP, there are a lot of things that are practiced by the governments currently in power that are not necessarily reflective of the cultural ethics.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In countries that do not have a tradition of democracy, it is not safe to assume that government policies reflect the sentiments of the culture. In the countries you mentioned in the OP, there are a lot of things that are practiced by the governments currently in power that are not necessarily reflective of the cultural ethics.
Nations not having a tradition of democracy is not limited to Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or