U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 08:16 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,219,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
This thread still going?

By now, he should have gotten to the Philippines, gotten married, come back, and be hanging out in Daly City CA.
It seems so. The history of "feminism in the Philippines" and discerning biological females from bakla and "transpinays" might be somewhat useful to the OP.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:23 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicane View Post
Whatever, every Philipino household I have ever been in is extremely patriarchial including my own. Not because I want it that way but because for my Filipina wife that is the default. She makes over twice the money I do but if we decide that we will put dinner on her card, she hands it to me to make the transaction. Now I dont know if that makes me the slob who does her bidding or if she is by habit putting the man out as the bread winner to save "face". What I do know is her father was domineering to the extreme everyone worked in the family business and he controlled every last peso. So im going with she learned from her father that the man was the decision maker, manages the money and is supposed to protect and take care of the family.

When her parents seperated her father TOOK custody of all 5 children. So when you say the PIs is more feminist because of some political theory it doenst mean squat if the man still rules (with an iron fist) in the family
The Philippines (before it was the Philippines) was traditionally a matriarchal society, like most Austronesian societies. The Spanish & Americans brought patriarchy. So today it's a mix of both.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:09 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,765,000 times
there aren't many ladyboys in PI, dont know what you guys are talking about. sure they exist, but they exist everywhere.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:07 PM

4,370 posts, read 5,140,359 times
There are a ton of gold diggers from the phillipines from what I heard. I noticed they're always convieniently married to some rich but fat and balding white guy. Either that's what fillipino women prefer men who most of the world find physically unappealing, or they're worried about those Benjamins.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:25 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
There are a ton of gold diggers from the phillipines from what I heard.
Stereotypes. 'from what you've heard'. There is more to it than that though.

I won't say they don't exist there, but gold diggers are everywhere....any big powerful American city, and you'll see them there too.

It's not that the Philippines are filled with gold-diggers, it's moreso that the Philippines attracts a lot of western guys who spend too much time with prostitutes, and don't have enough common sense to NOT marry them. So, if you're hearing about a lot of golddiggers, you probably read or hear about it from a certain element of guys who spend a lot of time in prostitute places.

At the same time, there are also plenty of normal western men who marry completely normal filipina women who have absolutely nothing to do with the prostitute industry whatsoever. They don't experience the 'golddigger stereotype' whatsoever unless they were really unlucky and couldn't see the obvious signs of it.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:06 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,150,738 times
Default that's a stereotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
There are a ton of gold diggers from the phillipines from what I heard. I noticed they're always convieniently married to some rich but fat and balding white guy. Either that's what fillipino women prefer men who most of the world find physically unappealing, or they're worried about those Benjamins.
The worlst world diggers I know are European and East European (Russian Ukrainian Romanian) women

Old 11-07-2012, 09:21 AM

4,370 posts, read 5,140,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
The worlst world diggers I know are European and East European (Russian Ukrainian Romanian) women
I'm pretty sure fillipina women are top 5 gold diggers in the world on a bad day.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:20 PM

148 posts, read 103,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I was thinking the same.

Yep, two women have been Presidents of the Philippines. One guy I know who travels often on business throughout Asia, remarked that the Philippines had the most women in high positions than he's seen anywhere else in Asia, by far.
And both women were able to "kill" the coups while the two male presidents that faced coups got booted out.

Hahahahaha.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Everything was cool except "You need to find a Filipina." "Nice talking to you" or "enjoy your day at work" would have been more appropriate ways to part ways. Latina/Mediterranean/Middle Eastern/Filipina women are the most obnoxious and persistent in wanting to fix someone up. I don't view it as a compliment. I view it as an annoyance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Obviously they were just being friendly to you. I wouldn't take it as a 'WTF' and perceive it as a 'studid giggle' by them entertaining you with simple chit-chat after exchanging eye contact.

Would you have preferred a good ol' American 'what'r'u'looking at' response instead?
I will tell you this:

In the Philippines white lies are common. It's not "malicious" lies but rather with the intent to make the other comfortable, avoid conflict, please you, or just tell what you want to hear.

As a matter of fact, unless you are a spouse, Filipinos will tell you another opinion (as a foreigner) but will have the opposite opinion when with Filipino peers.

We don't always mean what we say especially "flattering" words.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:03 PM

One mistake foreigners make is to think that Filipinos/Filipinas/The Philippines is monolith. The Philippines itself is very diverse, not only linguistically, also "mentally" and culturally.

I don't mean to disrespect men with wives from the Visayas or Mindanao, but my observation is that they are the ones to marry out most and actively seek foreign partners (not necessarily in a scamming way). On the other hand, the extreme north Luzon tend to be VERY conservative in marriage. They prefer their own kins especially the Ilocanos, Igorots and Ibanags. if they marry outside their kin, it's usually among these three groups. Maybe because of the language. The Igorots and Ibanags are largely proficient in Ilocano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia