U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 05:45 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,745,809 times

Advertisements

Lots of stereotypes here, but Caucasian guys traveling to the Philippines to meet their girlfriends are VERY common. I've been seated next to them in quite a number of flights, you can see them around the shopping malls and restaurants in the Philippines. And they do run the gamut, from guys who are as young as 25 to as old as more than 80, and ladies who are dirt poor to highly-educated professionals or even rich heiresses. There are more than 90 million Filipinos in the Philippines (more than twice the population of California), so there are a LOT of women, so it's very difficult to generalize. However, it is very evident that the Philippines is a developing country and relationships between old Caucasian guys and young poor/desperate ladies are the most commonly found one.

To the OP, if you are indeed 33 and fairly good-looking and has an above average income, then you can at least get a woman who is honestly attracted to you and really care for you, rather than being viewed as a ticket out of poverty. Be aware that the poorer the family of the woman is, the more likely it is that you will be the meal ticket of not just your wife, but the entire family. Sometimes, not just the immediate family but also the extended family. And in some cases, the meal ticket of the whole barangay (Filipino for barrio/village). If your wife doesn't care about you, then you will certainly have problems on what she does with your money.

The Philippines is relatively Westernized compared to other Asian countries and English is an official language. Be very concerned if your girl cannot speak basic English as English proficiency is a good indicator of educational level and social status in the Philippines. If you are as you describe yourself, you will be openly flirted by Filipinas even with the presence of a girlfriend. You might suddenly develop a superiority complex and think you are the most desirable guy in the world from all the attention, but to steer out of trouble, remember to be humble as arrogance can get you in trouble, especially if you offend the wrong people in a foreign country. Just to be on the safe side, be very wary if your girl has relatives or friends who has access to firearms.

Just use your common sense and take time to evaluate the situation. What do you see in the girl? What does she see in you? Where did you meet and how much do you know her? The best relationships have been referrals from Filipinas who are happily married to Western guys who introduce their friends/sisters/cousins to their husband's friend/relative. Both sides know what to expect.

If you know some Spanish, you might be able to pick up some words from the local language: suerte (luck/lucky), guapo (handsome). Important to maintain your humility though even if your girl's friends are saying how lucky she is to have a young handsome Caucasian guy.

For Americans, most use the fiancee visa. As mentioned earlier, two main advantages are it gets the woman relatively faster into the US compared to a spousal visa, and the marriage is done in the US (which means divorce is allowed and done in the US).

Old 11-21-2012, 10:58 AM

681 posts, read 1,430,874 times
I know 3 filipinas, all sisters, all in their 20-30s and all are dating and only date white guys!!

Old 11-21-2012, 11:07 AM

986 posts, read 1,201,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
I know 3 filipinas, all sisters, all in their 20-30s and all are dating and only date white guys!!
That's their prerogative for their own reasons! Who are we to judge them otherwise!
It's none of our business, unless they ask for advise or our POVs and opinions on a specific matter!

Old 11-21-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
That's their prerogative for their own reasons! Who are we to judge them otherwise!
It's none of our business!
What's your problem? Let's not jump the gun. Where was I ever judging them? I was just citing an example.

Did I say something negative about them, or are you just assuming?

Old 11-21-2012, 04:24 PM

986 posts, read 1,201,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
What's your problem? Let's not jump the gun. Where was I ever judging them? I was just citing an example.

Did I say something negative about them, or are you just assuming?
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad

The assumption came from you and it sounded judgmental (example, hint) without further saying anything more!

Old 11-21-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad

The assumption came from you and it sounded judgmental (example, hint) without further saying anything more!
Well my friend, cry me a river, you are reading way too much into it

Old 06-18-2013, 09:51 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,999,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
Lot's of good info but I'm a little confused. So if I understand correctly the easiest way would for me to bring my docs over there, marry over there and then I can bring her back? Otherwise have her apply for a marriage visa and wait 6 months to a year and then she can come over here and we can marry here?

I'm a little confused on the proving 125% poverty level thing, my income or hers? I appreciate the help. Oh and I forgot to mention she's 27 and I'm pretty sure she has a job, so it's looking pretty good.
Fiancee visa is faster, it takes 6 months to less than a year. I don't know why it is faster than Spouse visas when it should be the other way around. I think spouse visa takes 2 years which is stupid.

Is she educated ? If she is, then for sure she is serious with you and not only using you as a ticket to USA or for desperate reasons. Does she speak good English ? That's one way of knowing her social status.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:26 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,999,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
33. You are going to be told constantly how young you are. Regarding attraction, they'll be attracted. Most Filipinas absolutely love foreign men. You could be much much older, with no hair, and never had taken care of your body, and they'll still be attracted to you. Personally I think it's not only economical, but they just really believe that any guy with white skin is going to give them absolutely beautiful babies. Plus, once you get familiar with Filipino TV...you'll see that the mass majority of all the Filipino tv personalies are always half something that isn't Filipino. So it taps right into those fantasies of having a potential celebrity baby as well. The women love kids.

I always got a kick out of walking around some of the malls, ESPECIALLY the Cebu malls. Cebu is the #1 most comfortable city for foreign expats who marry Filipinas. You go through the malls and you'll see dozens and dozens of 'second lifers' - guys who look like they've been life in a major way, got into the ages of 60s, 70s, etc....somehow moved to the Philippines, met a Filipina, and suddenly, no doubt with great influence/pushing from the Filipina spouse, to have kids...even at their old age like that. So you'll constantly watch them tromping around the malls with a couple kids in tow, during their golden years.

Regarding your potential marriage. Filipinas are generally quite loyal and faithful. Many of them are actually seriously seeking love with a foreigner, in a very fantasy dream like way. Like really dreaming and seeing a prince coming to rescue despite any and all major glowing flaws the guy may have.

That being said, if you have ANY RESERVATIONS whatsoever with this particular one you've become smitten with, than certainly don't risk deeper involvement with the one. While there are some great ones, there are also some not so good ones. If you go to the malls anywhere in the Philippines, you'll see multitudes and multitudes of filipinas online chatting up potential guys all around the world. You'll see their computer screens with 5-7 people at a time...and they'll be saying 'I love you' to all of them, while giving out their phone numbers. Some of them even ask for money, etc. If you get any sense of something like that, be really wary with the one you're finding yourself falling in love with. I'm not saying yours is one of those girls, but that that element certainly exists there. Many also chat online though, and are serously looking for true love, and will be faithful as well though. Just think about it, while you are there visiting her.

Additionally, while you seem smitten with one in particular that you've never met in person. Take in mind, that in the Philippines, if you do visit, you'll be extremely desireable by many of the Filipina population. I've been approached by Fathers asking me to meet their daughters. I've had an immigration official try to play matchmaker with me. I've certainly got plenty of eye contact and flirtation on an extremely regular basis. Being that you're only 33, you're going to get a ton of it. They are more use to guys visiting their country who are in the 60+ age range.

Additionally, I saw the one you are interested in lives in Davao. That's actually great, because few foreigners go to Davao or Mindinao. Ironically Davao has always felt a million times safer than Manila/Luzon, but Filipinos in Manila/Luzon will always be afraid of people from Mindinao, and assume it's much more dangerous down there. In short, most of people from Davao/Mindinao seem to be absolutely sweethearts. Just based on her location alone, I'd say you have a potential lifer - a really good ones.

If you ever meet an online girl from say Angeles City, you better stay clear. It's essentially a city of prostitution. There is desperation to many Filipinas, but the ones that tap regularly into prostitution have generally crossed another line, in my opinion, although they'll initially come across very sweet in that typical Filipina way. That being said, there are millions and millions of extremely hardworking Filipinas just doing their non-prostitution jobs, and working hard at it, who make ends meet, without resorting to such measures. So, if you meet one that seems to think prostition was her only option, take in mind there are plenty in similar conditions who don't think that way and make other choices. However, it's been really rare that I've heard of Filipinas from Mindinao/Davao who ever have that Angeles kind of mindset.

Marriage questions. Yeah, if you marry her, she's allowed to live in the U.S. You'll have to go through paperwork and time.
I think it depends on the social status. Most girls in the upper class, middle class or girls who are more educated don't really have so much interest in white men and especially if they aren't even good looking at all.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 20,274 times
anybody who has experience traveling to the Philippines can share the best area for a late 50's guy from the US to go to meet woman and have a good time. I am not looking for a wife or a hooker. I want to be in the safest parts to travel. I grew up in NY and have a street sense but it is always different when traveling to a third world or developing country. I have been married and divorced twice and sick of the mind games. I like having the comfort and convenience of a relationship but the downside is just not worth it anymore. I need to get my head feeling good again. Can anyone direct me to where and when to travel I am not stuck on the Phillipines either. I do have yellow or brown fever though. My first wife was half Japanese and my second was Filippino [grew up in US]

Old 06-23-2013, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 30,216 times
I agree with all the good advice. I would not go there just looking to get hooked up in marriage. You can have the time of your life there (single). Actually; If I could find a way to make a living there, I would rather live there most of the time just due to it is inexpensive to live. Once you get used to the dirt and poverty life is great!

If you have been there you notice that people may be poor but they are damn sure happy. Viva Olongapo/Subic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia