U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 08:22 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How integrated were they? Were they just like other Japanese, or like the colonial British in Hong Kong, Malaya, India.etc?

Also interesting are the Japanese Brazilians who returned to Japan and were shunned since they were culturally Brazilian.
They were white Americans. His grandfather was a doctor, and the grandmother a missionary. That generation settled in Japan, and than his parents who were born and raised in those respective families, met each other, and gave birth to him. He's now in his 20s. I know both the second and third generation parts of the family.

Regarding integrated. Well, 100% fluent Japanese and completely bilingual. Went through the school systems, etc. I mean, both the second and third generation were like that.

However, in Japan, you can't be gain citizenship, so all three generations had to register with the U.S. and keep up there American citizenships. They've never lived in the U.S., but the U.S. still accepts them, whereas Japan does not.

Basically they are 100% able to do absolutely everything in Japanese without question, and know just about all that a Japanese person would know, from popular Japanese books and ideas and concepts to everything you'd else you'd know living and growing up and being raised, and never having left the soil of where you born (i.e. Japan).

That being said, since they don't LOOK Japanese, than Japanese will just assume that they're just a tourist or just arrived, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 06:45 PM

2,189 posts, read 4,713,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
They were white Americans. His grandfather was a doctor, and the grandmother a missionary. That generation settled in Japan, and than his parents who were born and raised in those respective families, met each other, and gave birth to him. He's now in his 20s. I know both the second and third generation parts of the family.

Regarding integrated. Well, 100% fluent Japanese and completely bilingual. Went through the school systems, etc. I mean, both the second and third generation were like that.

However, in Japan, you can't be gain citizenship, so all three generations had to register with the U.S. and keep up there American citizenships. They've never lived in the U.S., but the U.S. still accepts them, whereas Japan does not.

Basically they are 100% able to do absolutely everything in Japanese without question, and know just about all that a Japanese person would know, from popular Japanese books and ideas and concepts to everything you'd else you'd know living and growing up and being raised, and never having left the soil of where you born (i.e. Japan).

That being said, since they don't LOOK Japanese, than Japanese will just assume that they're just a tourist or just arrived, etc.
And why not?

Japanese nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-10-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Naturalization is an exception. There are plenty of rules with it however that aren't stated. However, certainly possible.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:47 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
What so someone born in Japan can't get citizenship unless what? How many generations back do they have to go?

Old 09-10-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
What so someone born in Japan can't get citizenship unless what? How many generations back do they have to go?
Generally they have to have some Japanese blood in there.

There are plenty of Koreans who were brought into Japan by the Japanese back 60+ years ago...generations of them. They all still have their Korean passports, despite most of them were born in Japan.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:44 AM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,877,440 times
Quote:
There's an example of a white lady, the daughter of American missionaries, born and raised in Hong Kong. Cantonese is her first language and she speaks English in a Hong Kong accent.
I think this is the lady...Sharon Balcombe.

Sharon speaking English and Mandarin - YouTube

Old 09-11-2012, 09:33 AM

2,189 posts, read 4,713,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Generally they have to have some Japanese blood in there.

There are plenty of Koreans who were brought into Japan by the Japanese back 60+ years ago...generations of them. They all still have their Korean passports, despite most of them were born in Japan.
That' how Hitler did it, too.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:42 PM

331 posts, read 617,014 times
There's plenty of non-Chinese people who are born and raised in Hong Kong. I met an HK Indian guy once who told me he thinks in Mandarin. When I was in HK most of the people tried to speak to me in Cantonese - they thought I was a local.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,535,820 times

Old 09-12-2012, 01:04 AM

4,454 posts, read 5,740,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Does he speak English with a Chinese accent?
Yes he does. I never seen a white guy speak like that before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or