U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 05:15 PM

162 posts, read 223,208 times

Advertisements

???????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 05:44 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,765,000 times
what are you interested in seeing/doing? until you give us a better idea, i am going to recommend north korea.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:01 PM

I am honestly not sure. I just really want to sight see and explore different culture. It's also my understanding that you were joking when you said North Korea.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:52 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
What makes you interested in Asia in the first place?

If you really have absolutely no clue whatsoever, outside of 'something different', I'll steer you towards THAILAND. It's kind of the hub of people who have no clue what they want they to do, and end up in Asia trying to figure it out, while sitting around the backpacker/tourist/traveler area of Ko Sahn Road of Bangkok.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:13 AM

986 posts, read 1,178,432 times
I've been retired 15 years now and have lived in the Philippines since 1998 and my wife and I are both Filipino/American citizens.
The Philippines have predominantly English speaking Filipinos and Americans visiting here don't have any problems communicating with the locals in the English language, except in the outer provinces not exposed to tourists!
We've been to Thailand, Japan and Hong kong and enjoyed our short vacations there, but had difficulty with the language barrier!

Old 09-14-2012, 11:33 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
I've been retired 15 years now and have lived in the Philippines since 1998 and my wife and I are both Filipino/American citizens.
The Philippines have predominantly English speaking Filipinos and Americans visiting here don't have any problems communicating with the locals in the English language, except in the outer provinces not exposed to tourists!
We've been to Thailand, Japan and Hong kong and enjoyed our short vacations there, but had difficulty with the language barrier!
I'm a huge fan of the Philippines as well, because of the language, and because I've been living off and on in Japan/Korea for 20 years with desires to hear English regularly once again.

However, if I'd never been to Asia before, the Philippines is the most English-friendly, but the bottom of the list for most 'exotic'. It seems like the OP is looking for something exotic.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What makes you interested in Asia in the first place?

If you really have absolutely no clue whatsoever, outside of 'something different', I'll steer you towards THAILAND. It's kind of the hub of people who have no clue what they want they to do, and end up in Asia trying to figure it out, while sitting around the backpacker/tourist/traveler area of Ko Sahn Road of Bangkok.
I actually have been to Asia once. Tibet and Thailand. Not a fan of Thailand because a bunch of people on the street always trying to sell you sex from children. Not a fan to say the least. I just want to go back to Asia because I think I had the wrong impression the first time.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:50 AM

2,042 posts, read 3,626,969 times
If some oriental culture wanted but limited time and not knowing which culture why not look into a cruise~ might suggest staring Japan~ hitting possibly south Korea, taiwan, hong kong, ~ then possibly signapore and thialand. Or start south and go north.

My extended cruise hit all of those plus the philippines but not sure what real cruise lines offer.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:50 AM

[quote=Art2ro;26090201]I've been retired 15 years now and have lived in the Philippines since 1998 and my wife and I are both Filipino/American citizens.

Researching Philippines now.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:11 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,819,132 times
Get a Lonely Planet SE Asia book if you like warmer climates.
Go to the library and do some research, or on-line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or