Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:12 PM

331 posts, read 731,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
Pretty much.
OK, most South Asians, as in Indians, Pakistanis have a very different attitude towards white guys - they look down on them.

Actually one big difference between South Asians and east Asians is the following regarding marriage - this is a big generalisation BTW:

South Asian male - preferably marries another South Asian female, but if he doesn't it's not the end of the world, since the family name will start carry on. Kids are supposed to follow the father's culture anyway.
South Asian female - has to marry a South Asian male - to preserve the family honour

East Asian male - has to marry an East Asian female, to preserve the family name and culture
East Asian female - can marry whoever, since they're not as important as the men.

My background is British-Indian, but I've never come across anybody in my community put white guys on a pedestal. My parents never talked crap about anybody but I have heard other people talk crap about white guys.

I've come across a few east-Asian women who told me that their mothers told them to marry white guys.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,868,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBodyUK View Post
OK, most South Asians, as in Indians, Pakistanis have a very different attitude towards white guys - they look down on them.

Actually one big difference between South Asians and east Asians is the following regarding marriage - this is a big generalisation BTW:

South Asian male - preferably marries another South Asian female, but if he doesn't it's not the end of the world, since the family name will start carry on. Kids are supposed to follow the father's culture anyway.
South Asian female - has to marry a South Asian male - to preserve the family honour

East Asian male - has to marry an East Asian female, to preserve the family name and culture
East Asian female - can marry whoever, since they're not as important as the men.

My background is British-Indian, but I've never come across anybody in my community put white guys on a pedestal. My parents never talked crap about anybody but I have heard other people talk crap about white guys.

I've come across a few east-Asian women who told me that their mothers told them to marry white guys.
I believe you. My background is Asian-American so I know what this is like.

The bold part was pretty much my point.

I'm friends with Middle Easterners and Persians (DC area has a high # of Iranians). I know what their social circles are like as well.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:40 PM

16,265 posts, read 42,980,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I think its very obvious Asian women prefer white men. Half the Asian girls I went to HS with are married to white guys even though there are no shortage of Asians in the DC area. I only know one Asian guy married to a white woman and she is immensely overweight and has a poor disposition to put it mildly. I would say most white guys prefer white women but some have a very serious Asian fetish lol. A lot of white guys who are kind of average also go for a pretty Asian girl rather than a white woman of his equivalent attractiveness.

If I had to give a reason, it's the reputation of Asian men as nerdy and somewhat less masculine than other men. That's a stereotype but it's pretty true since I would say Asian Americans have more than its share of nerdy guys than other races. More masculine type Asian guys do a lot better although I'm having trouble thinking of one off the top of my head.

#11 Asian Girls « Stuff White People Like
In California, you'll see a lot more white girls who are into asian guys. CA/WA, etc. has a ton more 2nd 3rd generation asian, than metro DC.

Once Asians have been in the US for a couple generations, they take on many 'American' characteristics. You'll see more tattoos, cool guys, and all the rest....that attract all kinds of American women.

In short, many white girls are attracted to Asian-American men, but not many are attracted to fresh-off-the-boat from Asia men.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:51 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,788,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBodyUK View Post

I always figured it was the opposite. That those conservative families got more upset if their daughters married out than their sons. For a start, if the son marries out at least the family name is preserved, while if the daughter marries out it is lost.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
In California, you'll see a lot more white girls who are into asian guys. CA/WA, etc. has a ton more 2nd 3rd generation asian, than metro DC.

Once Asians have been in the US for a couple generations, they take on many 'American' characteristics. You'll see more tattoos, cool guys, and all the rest....that attract all kinds of American women.

In short, many white girls are attracted to Asian-American men, but not many are attracted to fresh-off-the-boat from Asia men.
Also, prior to probably the Vietnam war era, when Asian women suddenly become popular due to what the GI's had been exposed to, the most common Asian/white pairings involved Asian men. Prior to 1900 by a long shot, largely because most immigrants from Asian nations were mostly men.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:58 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,447,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
very true, tons of white guys worship asian women and they think they know everything there is to know about asia / asians because they are married to an asian or their girlfriends asian so they think they can say anything they want about them

also lots of white guys that marry asian women are racist against asian people but they say they are married to an asian lady so they are not racist, etc, but they still try to put down asian men as inferior

Ive seen tons of nerdy white guys too, it's not just one group
I have seen this more than once or twice.

When my uncle was in the Air Force, he had a neighbor (also in the Air Force) who was married to an Asian woman and he used to say the most bigoted things about "orientals" and treated that lady like she was a servant. It was so sad to watch.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:07 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,253,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

When my uncle was in the Air Force, he had a neighbor (also in the Air Force) who was married to an Asian woman and he used to say the most bigoted things about "orientals" and treated that lady like she was a servant. It was so sad to watch.
There was a time when "Orientals" was THE word, and it didn't offend. That changed, though.

I've also seen white guys, usually of the more low-class variety, marry Mexican women, treat them the same way, yet generally want to avoid Mexicans.

I guess it has to do with how one wants to "perceive" their spouse as a part of their lives.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

That's what some people with no experience, who see it from a rosy-eyed PC perspective don't get.

Sure, of course, don't need to tell us, most pairings regardless of race are (supposedly) for love (although many pairings within race aren't really for love but getting off tangent).

But in some cases, there's an element of veiled superiority behind some of these fetishes. Like you say, these men choose Asian women because they think they are servants or that they can easily boss them around. Typically older men and mail order brides from poorer countries but even Asian Westerners. Just be aware that this exist, and it isn't all that uncommon with some of these pairings.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
There was a time when "Orientals" was THE word, and it didn't offend. That changed, though.

I've also seen white guys, usually of the more low-class variety, marry Mexican women, treat them the same way, yet generally want to avoid Mexicans.

I guess it has to do with how one wants to "perceive" their spouse as a part of their lives.

Dating someone of a certain race doesn't mean you can't also be racist towards them, let alone using them for sex. Think of those old slave owners.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:12 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,253,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Dating someone of a certain race doesn't mean you can't also be racist towards them, let alone using them for sex. Think of those old slave owners.
Like President Thomas Jefferson?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia