U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2014, 12:39 PM
 
Location: LONDON BABY
301 posts, read 403,186 times
Reputation: 276

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Maybe because HK has 6M while China has 1.3B? Do you think HK is highly developed irrespective of China?

I doubt you have ever been to China judging from your dismissive tone typical of westerners who seldom travel outside their comfort zone.

Go to some nice cities such as Shanghai, Nanjing, Suzhou and Hangzhou and come back and say China is "dirt poor". These two cities alone have 60 million people, comparable to the UK and France. Manchester and Philadelphia would look backward in comparison.
What difference does chinas population make. Europe and North America both have big populations but they are still rich, china is poor because it is poor, you are just trying up make excuses, do you even believe what you say.

Its not just Hong Kong that Britain built and made rich, British Singapore is another rich successful country that Britain built while china was poor and poverty ridden.

Last edited by Obi wan spaghetti; 04-29-2014 at 01:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2014, 12:48 PM
 
Location: LONDON BABY
301 posts, read 403,186 times
Reputation: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Maybe because HK has 6M while China has 1.3B? Do you think HK is highly developed irrespective of China?

I doubt you have ever been to China judging from your dismissive tone typical of westerners who seldom travel outside their comfort zone.

Go to some nice cities such as Shanghai, Nanjing, Suzhou and Hangzhou and come back and say China is "dirt poor". These two cities alone have 60 million people, comparable to the UK and France. Manchester and Philadelphia would look backward in comparison.
Philadelphia is more beautiful that any Chinese city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 02:44 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
Philadelphia is more beautiful that any Chinese city
whatever you said Sir.


Crime rates (2012)Crime typeRate*Homicide:21.5 Forcible rape:57.2 Robbery:518.8 Aggravated assault:562.6
Total Violent crime:1,160.1 Burglary:780.0 Larceny-theft:2,507.7 Motor vehicle theft:415.9

Even in the crime ridden USA, Philly is a dangerous city to be. Good job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2014, 02:19 AM
 
1,011 posts, read 628,037 times
Reputation: 283
India was under the British rule. Why is it still poor?

China is not poor. It is the biggest exporter and biggest US debt holder. China ranks third (maybe second) in terms of number of millionaires in the world. Admittedly, income disparity is huge in China. That is because China has only 20 years or so for economic development. Prior to that, China was in political chaos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
If that was true why was British Hong Kong rich and china dirt poor.
While Britain was building a modern world city and financial centre in Hong Kong, china was suffering mass starvation and humiliating collapses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2014, 02:23 AM
 
1,011 posts, read 628,037 times
Reputation: 283
Europe is rich. Of course, with half the population unemployed in countries like Italy and Spain, they count on Chinese shoppers for stuff like LV, Gucci. The poor Chinese come to the rescue of Europe.

North America is rich. US is heavily indebted and count on China for the purchase of its junk debt. Canada is increasing dependant on Chinese investor to avoid the property bubble.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
What difference does chinas population make. Europe and North America both have big populations but they are still rich, china is poor because it is poor, you are just trying up make excuses, do you even believe what you say.

Its not just Hong Kong that Britain built and made rich, British Singapore is another rich successful country that Britain built while china was poor and poverty ridden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2014, 02:27 AM
 
1,011 posts, read 628,037 times
Reputation: 283
Have you riden the subway in Shanghai? Compare that to the Tube in London. You know which city is the third world. I forgot you guys in London cannot ride the Tube due to the strike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
Shanghai is an ocean of cheap concrete "commie blocks", it looks very poor and run down. There are beggars and donkeys and chickens walking the streets, I saw it with my own eyes.

The only attractive parts of shanghai is the British colonial streets, houses and shops. The rest is literally a concrete ocean covered with thousands of commieblocks, that would never be allowed in the developed cities of the west.

I did see a few nice western designed skyscrapers, but they too are made with cheap materials, cladding and glass.

It's surreal seeing skyscrapers with chickens and peasants walking around among them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2014, 05:41 AM
 
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
143 posts, read 152,260 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
Have you riden the subway in Shanghai? Compare that to the Tube in London. You know which city is the third world. I forgot you guys in London cannot ride the Tube due to the strike.

Even the new glitzy Shanghai subway can't mask the poorness of China as a whole. Do you know when the tube was built? it was built more than a century ago when China is still on horses, let alone bicycles. Only a fool would look down on the tube because it is a relic and one of its kind. It is commendable the China has made some strides in her progresses, but to say that China is richer than any countries in Western Europe and North American is a blinded observation from an inflated ego with full of unfound biases. There are a lot of metrics which can measure the wealth of a nation, but yours is not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2014, 06:41 AM
 
1,011 posts, read 628,037 times
Reputation: 283
No one is claiming China is richer than UK. But saying China is dirt poor is also nonsense. At least in the coastal provinces, the living standard is at least at par with countries like Spain or Greece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPKS View Post
Even the new glitzy Shanghai subway can't mask the poorness of China as a whole. Do you know when the tube was built? it was built more than a century ago when China is still on horses, let alone bicycles. Only a fool would look down on the tube because it is a relic and one of its kind. It is commendable the China has made some strides in her progresses, but to say that China is richer than any countries in Western Europe and North American is a blinded observation from an inflated ego with full of unfound biases. There are a lot of metrics which can measure the wealth of a nation, but yours is not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2014, 07:20 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,123 posts, read 23,642,005 times
Reputation: 11611
It wasn't so much that being British was what made Hong Kong successful as it was not being a part of Communist China. Hong Kong could not have been what it was without its status from being economically and politically separate from the Chinese Communist Party. Were the CCP in control of Hong Kong and Taiwan, then neither of those areas would be nearly as economically successful with nowhere near the same standard of living or personal/political liberty they have today.

Likewise, China's recent decades of growth would probably not have been at nearly the same pace it was without the economic and industrial funnel that Hong Kong and Taiwan serve as, both in terms of capital (from HK/Taiwan and through HK/Taiwan from elsewhere) and knowledge transfer.

China has had a persistent, historical danger of having a single unified political authority without much counterbalance which can abruptly make incredibly terrible decisions. It's great for China that Hong Kong and Taiwan exists. It's a mixed bag for whether or not it's better for China to have Hong Kong have any significant change in its status (i.e. complete integration).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2014, 07:23 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,123 posts, read 23,642,005 times
Reputation: 11611
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
No one is claiming China is richer than UK. But saying China is dirt poor is also nonsense. At least in the coastal provinces, the living standard is at least at par with countries like Spain or Greece.
Yes, the coastal provinces are doing quite well aside from the massive environmental pollution whose costs generally grind on for much longer than most governments account for, but it's a bit disingenuous to have to discount such a huge portion of the country's population in a comparison as there is a tremendous population both in absolute numbers and in percentages that are not in those wealthier coastal provinces.

Also, I'm not sure about Greece, but definitely few Chinese cities overall rival the living standard in most ways in even post-recession Spain. In fact, there is no single mainland Chinese administrative unit that ranks with a higher per capita GDP (nominal or purchasing power parity) or human development index with an average higher than the average of Spain as a whole. I'd actually have a hard time thinking of a single place in China that would have a higher living standard--even if all other things were equal in terms of consumer purchasing power, Spain still would be better just from the knowledge and trust of food safety, the civil liberties afforded, the far greater social safety net, the much shorter work hours and longer vacation days, and far less grave environmental issues. Hell, the AQI might alone be a good enough of an argument.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-30-2014 at 07:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top