U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 06:44 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,235,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Agree with that. Of course HK will remain a very powerful city, all I am saying is it has peaked and Shanghai is bound to replace it as the most important business, shipping and financial centre. Maybe in 20-30 years time. That being said, there is definitely a lot Shanghai can learn from HK, which is more mature.

Not sure about the crown of "most visited city in the world" - if you look at the statistics in more detail, it is mostly because mainland Chinese visitors are considered "international" and made up 63% of the total number, and that includes a lot of day trip from nearby Shenzhen. Not really something to boast about.
Shanghai was probably the preeminent city in China in the 1930s, it was well known for it's western enclaves, it's reputation as the 'Pearl of the Orient' and a modern, heady, very European city and a bit of a sin city. Of course the Communist take over in 1949 (not to mention the Japanese invasion of Second World War) put an end to that, so that Hong Kong had little competition in that region. In 1990 the Pudong skyline had none of the towering skyscrapers that dominate today. In GDP terms, Shanghai will probably overtake Hong Kong soon if it has not already done so, but in other measures it still has to catch up. It will likely happen within the next 10 years.

Well yes...but if you take cities like London and Paris, for instance, they are close by so many European countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 09:15 PM

301 posts, read 403,186 times
Anyone who's ever been to Hong Kong will know that its a very British place.

The roads, the streets, the phone booths, post boxes, the skyscrapers, the shopping, the stores everything is British like.

Britain built Hong Kong and made it a massive successfull city and a global financial capital full of skyscrapers, at a time when china was still having mass starvation, epidemics and was third world poor, ridden with poverty

Britain used its free trade and economic liberalism model to make Hong Kong a rich and successfull place, hong kongers don't want to risk losing that by becoming a fully part of china.

To put it simply, hong kongers like the British style life, politics, culture and economics that made Hong Kong so successfull, they love the skyscrapers Britain built there and the increased profile they gave to Hong Kong. hong kongers like the lifestyle they have and don't want to lose it

Last edited by Obi wan spaghetti; 04-22-2014 at 09:28 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 05:06 AM

10 posts, read 10,463 times
Hong Kong and its people have a style of their own, not very British and not very Chinese as the UK or Mainland China. HK is best described as a global city with a fushion of Western and Eastern cultures, with local characteristics and influences from many parts of the world.

Mainland China has many problems associated with a typical developing country. Corruption is one big problem.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:49 PM

174 posts, read 265,457 times
A lot of the British style in terms of the older buildings, and road layouts are still there but in the way that its headed right now HK is getting a lot of mainland influence and I don't think that's a good thing.

Probably one of the most obvious things is that the locals are no longer proficient in English. Worked there for a few months at a multinational just recently and basically only the older generation had the nice British accent. All the younger locals have horrible spoken and written English - and here's the funny thing - they like to proclaim that they're "fluent in English".

Old 04-25-2014, 05:09 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,235,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchan View Post
A lot of the British style in terms of the older buildings, and road layouts are still there but in the way that its headed right now HK is getting a lot of mainland influence and I don't think that's a good thing.

Probably one of the most obvious things is that the locals are no longer proficient in English. Worked there for a few months at a multinational just recently and basically only the older generation had the nice British accent. All the younger locals have horrible spoken and written English - and here's the funny thing - they like to proclaim that they're "fluent in English".
No longer? I don't think as a whole most Hong Kongers were ever fluent in English.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:23 AM

1,011 posts, read 628,037 times
i have not felt anything associated with the britain from my last travel to HK. The shopping area looks just the same as in Shanghai or Beijing. The skyscrapers? Is there any skyscraper in UK? Even San Francisco looks a lot similar to UK than HK, as there are some colonial style architecture.

Britain built HK? are you kidding? All the real estate tycoons are chinese, like Lee Kashin. Actually these guys are buying UK nowadays.

UK is nothing but an old empire who still misses its glory days. that is pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
Anyone who's ever been to Hong Kong will know that its a very British place.

The roads, the streets, the phone booths, post boxes, the skyscrapers, the shopping, the stores everything is British like.

Britain built Hong Kong and made it a massive successfull city and a global financial capital full of skyscrapers, at a time when china was still having mass starvation, epidemics and was third world poor, ridden with poverty

Britain used its free trade and economic liberalism model to make Hong Kong a rich and successfull place, hong kongers don't want to risk losing that by becoming a fully part of china.

To put it simply, hong kongers like the British style life, politics, culture and economics that made Hong Kong so successfull, they love the skyscrapers Britain built there and the increased profile they gave to Hong Kong. hong kongers like the lifestyle they have and don't want to lose it

Old 04-25-2014, 06:27 AM

1,011 posts, read 628,037 times
Getting mainland influence is not a good thing? So you mean having a strong colony-like feel is a good thing for HK? Come on. HK is not philipines, or some African countries. It is a chinese city. And china is the second most powerful country in the world. HK being part of it should be proud.

Quote:

Old 04-25-2014, 02:17 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:

Why exactly being more British is a good thing while being influenced by China is not? Plus, what do you mean influenced by China, as during HK's entire history, it was only 100 year it was not part of China, and all of a sudden, having anything to do with the mother country becomes a bad thing.

And exactly why should all Hong Kongers need to speak English? English is a foreign language after all. I think it is pathetic for any Asian country to adopt English as a native language, as if they are so proud of being a British/American colony.

HKers should learn to speak fluent Mandarin if anything.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:19 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
Getting mainland influence is not a good thing? So you mean having a strong colony-like feel is a good thing for HK? Come on. HK is not philipines, or some African countries. It is a chinese city. And china is the second most powerful country in the world. HK being part of it should be proud.
because in this small mind, west = good; anything to do with China = bad.

people seem to forget that HK is 100% part of China. And China can do anything about its own city. "The west" should just shut up and mind their own business at home.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:02 PM

174 posts, read 265,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
because in this small mind, west = good; anything to do with China = bad.

people seem to forget that HK is 100% part of China. And China can do anything about its own city. "The west" should just shut up and mind their own business at home.
I am entitled to my own views, as are you. I'm completely fine with you disagreeing with me, but there is no reason for you to attack me for my opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or