U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-28-2014, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Reputation: 2833

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
Guangdong is the largest province in terms of population and total GDP.
However, its importance to the rest of China should not be exagarated. Due to language barriers, and its distance from the mainland, Guangdong does not have much influence over the rest of China.
Well most younger folk in Guangdong can speak Putonghua. I once read a statistic like 75% of some absurd number of all computer chips in the world came from the PRD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2014, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Reputation: 2833
"Xiamen ranked number eight GDP per capita among 659 Chinese cities, ahead of Shanghai and Beijing, while Fuzhou ranked no. 21 (number 4 among 30 provincial capitals)"

Fujian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Xiamen is probably the most liveable city in China, with comparatively clean air, a charming old quarter (Gulangyu), interesting alleyways, mild climate, nice beaches (for China at least).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 10:18 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
"Xiamen ranked number eight GDP per capita among 659 Chinese cities, ahead of Shanghai and Beijing, while Fuzhou ranked no. 21 (number 4 among 30 provincial capitals)"

Fujian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Xiamen is probably the most liveable city in China, with comparatively clean air, a charming old quarter (Gulangyu), interesting alleyways, mild climate, nice beaches (for China at least).
Xiamen has one of the highest GDP per capita because it is more like a niche city with a very small land exclusive of many of the large poorer rural communities other larger cities have. It also has a very small population of 3.5M (small by Chinese standard), compared with 23M for Shanghai and 14M for Guangzhou.

If you do visit Xiamen in person, trust me you will find Shanghai a lot wealthier than Xiamen. Income is much lower in Xiamen than Shanghai, Beijing or Guangzhou.

It is like comparing Hartford, CT with New York or LA.

I agree that it is a very liveable city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 04:30 PM
 
Location: East coast
613 posts, read 892,082 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
The written language is separate from the spoken language of Mandarin, though, isn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
no, it is not. Mandarin has a complete written form.
None of China's regional direct has a complete written form, including the most famous Cantonese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Oh I thought that each character had a meaning that corresponded to a word with that meaning in the respective language it was used for, whether Mandarin, Cantonese, Hokkien, Japanese, Vietnamese.etc.
There is such a thing as Written Cantonese.

Written Cantonese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Xiamen has one of the highest GDP per capita because it is more like a niche city with a very small land exclusive of many of the large poorer rural communities other larger cities have. It also has a very small population of 3.5M (small by Chinese standard), compared with 23M for Shanghai and 14M for Guangzhou.

If you do visit Xiamen in person, trust me you will find Shanghai a lot wealthier than Xiamen. Income is much lower in Xiamen than Shanghai, Beijing or Guangzhou.

It is like comparing Hartford, CT with New York or LA.

I agree that it is a very liveable city.
I have been to Xiamen, it's a nice city. Maybe not bristling with wealth, but Fujian is doing quite well economically. A lot of overseas money invested since a lot of 'Overseas Chinese' trace their ancestry to this region. Well income tends to be lower in smaller cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 02:08 AM
 
1,011 posts, read 627,651 times
Reputation: 283
Take some caution when comparing the chinese cities by GDP per capita. Sh and Bj do not rank very high in terms of GDP per capita. Wuxi, Suzhou are at least 30% higher than SH in terms of GDP per capita. But the real household income is much lower than SH. The reason is that a high percentage of SH GDP goes to household income, while in Wuxi a good portion of that GDP goes to investment by manufacturers.



Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
"Xiamen ranked number eight GDP per capita among 659 Chinese cities, ahead of Shanghai and Beijing, while Fuzhou ranked no. 21 (number 4 among 30 provincial capitals)"

Fujian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Xiamen is probably the most liveable city in China, with comparatively clean air, a charming old quarter (Gulangyu), interesting alleyways, mild climate, nice beaches (for China at least).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 02:12 AM
 
1,011 posts, read 627,651 times
Reputation: 283
Xiamen is very nice. But the living cost is quite high there, especially the housing price.

Generally speaking, Suzhou and Hangzhou are most agreaable cities in CHina as the Chinese saying goes: There is heaven in the sky and there are Suzhou and hangzhou on the ground.

Chengdu is another city that ranks high in terms of livability. Chengdu and Hangzhou are ranked top 2 cities in China for leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
"Xiamen ranked number eight GDP per capita among 659 Chinese cities, ahead of Shanghai and Beijing, while Fuzhou ranked no. 21 (number 4 among 30 provincial capitals)"

Fujian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Xiamen is probably the most liveable city in China, with comparatively clean air, a charming old quarter (Gulangyu), interesting alleyways, mild climate, nice beaches (for China at least).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 06:04 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Reputation: 2833
Yes, I really want to go to Suzhou and Hangzhou, they look really pretty, like a Chinese painting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
143 posts, read 152,227 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Hong Kong belongs to china to start with. It is not up for the UK, a declining power to determine what happens to it. The robbed HK from China by force, remember?

On the other hand, I don't think it is wise for HK to antagnize China

1) HK is current prosperity largely depends on its special status as the free port. If vexed, China can easily abandon this preferential policy and build a free port somewhere else, in Shanghai, or Tianjian as it pleases. I am sure HK will lose its glamour within a couple of years.

In fact, I am quite sure Shanghai will surpass HK within the next 20 years.

2) HK residents life largely depends on mainland China, in terms of water and electricity supply, among others. You want China to cut it off? London will air transport all the necessities to HK on a daily basis? China has no obligation to supply HK with anything.

HK never had the chance to be "independent" and never will. And if it does, its future won't be that bright. You talk as if Britain had some claim to HK. It stole the city from China and it was simply time to return, end of story. There is no room for negotiation.

50 cents deposited to your account, paid by the CCP.

HK has its own infrastructure (and is an established civilized society with laws and order) before it was returned to China. You are not helping your argument by mispresenting the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 06:45 AM
 
1,011 posts, read 627,651 times
Reputation: 283
HK has a great infrastructure not because of the giving of the brits. but because of its 8 million hardworking chinese residents.

are you going to attribute the prospesity of the USA to its colonization by the British?


Quote:
Originally Posted by EPKS View Post
50 cents deposited to your account, paid by the CCP.

HK has its own infrastructure (and is an established civilized society with laws and order) before it was returned to China. You are not helping your argument by mispresenting the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top