Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 04:37 AM

1 posts, read 920 times

Advertisements

Old 09-20-2012, 05:15 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
A lot of sudden VIetnam promotion by first-time posters.

Is this coming from the Vietnam Bureau of Tourism or something?

Old 09-20-2012, 07:51 AM
nui

1 posts, read 1,399 times
I have just visited Sapa, Sapa is one of the best places for trekking that I have been to. The hills, the chill weather and the local people are amazing.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:35 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Looks amazing. I'll have to add it to my bucket list...

Old 09-20-2012, 02:18 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,606,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
A lot of sudden VIetnam promotion by first-time posters.

Is this coming from the Vietnam Bureau of Tourism or something?
yeah, very odd. they're not doing a very good job in any case, much better pictures of sapa out there. plus sapa isnt even the most visually impressive place in northern vietnam, halong bay takes the cake there.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:44 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
yeah, very odd. they're not doing a very good job in any case, much better pictures of sapa out there. plus sapa isnt even the most visually impressive place in northern vietnam, halong bay takes the cake there.
I MUCH prefer Halong Bay. I did go there a second time.

I don't get the appeal of Sapa. They market hillstribes people....so 1000s of white tourists can walk around their houses and snap photos off - while trying not to get another foreigner in the photo who is snapping it from the other side of the local's house.

If I'm that inclinded to take photos of Vietnamese and where they live, I'd rather walk around a non-touristic part of Hanoi. For one, it has much more interesting architecture, more Vietnamese-Vietnamese people who are just as interesting if not more interesting than poor hills tribesmen, and less foreign tourists all over the place walking in front of each other's camera shots.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:13 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I MUCH prefer Halong Bay. I did go there a second time.

I don't get the appeal of Sapa. They market hillstribes people....so 1000s of white tourists can walk around their houses and snap photos off - while trying not to get another foreigner in the photo who is snapping it from the other side of the local's house.

If I'm that inclinded to take photos of Vietnamese and where they live, I'd rather walk around a non-touristic part of Hanoi. For one, it has much more interesting architecture, more Vietnamese-Vietnamese people who are just as interesting if not more interesting than poor hills tribesmen, and less foreign tourists all over the place walking in front of each other's camera shots.
I actually preferred Sapa to Halong, but they're pretty different experiences. Sure you're hassled by the locals when you're in the villages, but when you go trekking it can be quite peaceful. The scenery is quite breath-taking, as are some of the climbs! Halong wasn't bad, but once you'd seen one limestone karst I felt you'd seen them all. The highlight for me was going to the cave high up in one of them. Both are a bit too touristic for me, though, but that's what happened when they are heavily promoted. Some alternatives might be Mai Chau and Ba Be, problem is they're harder to get to.

I always enjoyed wandering away from the main tourist haunts/attractions. One of the best kept secrets, IMO, are some of the alleyways just outside the Citadel in Hue. From the looks of things no tourists ventured there, but the alleyways remind me a lot of the Kowloon Walled City (I never visited but from seeing it in Bloodsport before it was demolished in 1993).

Old 09-23-2012, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,340 times
sapa with cool climate is the destination of many tourists the country, people here are very warm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia