U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 03:46 AM

1 posts, read 439 times

Advertisements

(VOV) - The Hoi An seaside is a real attraction to me, but there’s a much more prominent reason than that for coming back to.
During my two-year stay in Vietnam, I have been to Hoi An four times.
At first, I attributed my love for this place to the delightful seaside atmosphere. Whether I was taking a plunge in the refreshing sea, eating a local lunch at one of the many restaurants on the beach, or sunbathing with a book, I never found myself bored.
Moreover, I thought it was great to see how the locals enjoyed the beach just as much as I did. If you have been to Hoi An, you might understand that I refer to it as a town.
In most aspects, it is actually anything but a town. There are hundreds of tourists roaming around, more than plenty of restaurants to choose from, and countless shops and tailors. The streets are brightened by the countless lantern shops, one after another selling the identical product. Everytime strolling around Hoi An in the morning, I feel the atmosphere of a town. If you visit Hoi An, you will have the same experience.
At this time of day, most tourists are laying on the beach, and thus Hoi An is relatively quiet. Most shops and restaurants are closed and it is only the beautiful temples that attract people. Walking through the streets, everything is cosy.
Almost all of the buildings are made out of wood and are rather old. The cobbled roads are rather old and thus not always evenly distributed and while it requires extra attention to not trip, it is really charming. It is at these moments that I feel myself traveling back in time, to when Hoi An was just a village for her people, not so much for the tourists.
Even when I walk around at night like many tourists in the streets of Hoi An, I have the same feeling as in the morning: And like most small towns, Hoi An keeps growing on you. It is nearly impossible to visit just this once.
Eline Yara Jeanne

Old 09-20-2012, 03:58 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
I've been to Hoi An. Yeah, it is a small town, with a thousand tourists everywhere. Mostly they just shop cheaply. It seems to be a popular place for people who like to travel shop on the cheap. Lots of tailors as well.

I don't know about going again and again. I liked it, but I've never thought of going a second time. It's mostly just a nice little town to keep you from going completely insane if you are going all the way from Hanoi or Saigon by bus or train. It's a long distance between the two, and Hoi An, among a few other places, are popular stops to break up that journey.

I'd go again, if I were in Vietnam and going between those two cities again. But I'd never take a trip back to Vietnam ONLY just to go back to Hoi An.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:59 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,127,002 times
Where is Hoi An located on the coast? I'm not familiar with it. North or South?

Old 09-20-2012, 04:00 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Where is Hoi An located on the coast? I'm not familiar with it. North or South?
I don't have a map handy, but it's just about in the middle. I think it was on that spot, or around that spot, when there was a North Vietnam and a South Vietnam, that separated the two of them.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:09 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Hoi An was one of my favourite memories of Vietnam. Very quaint village, although touristy, that really comes alive at night. Best food in Vietnam, I highly recommend taking a cooking class. Also take a bicycle ride down to Cua Dai beach the scenery is very lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia