U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 10:12 AM

9,334 posts, read 19,486,357 times

Advertisements

[quote=alabalfred;26211826]
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I'd go:
nature and beaches.

You are most welcome to visit the Philippines and have a share of the FUN in our natural wonders and beaches...

Don't worry about the other things you mentioned that can spoil the FUN... they also happen in other countries...
Yes but its worse in some countries than others, corruption is pretty bad in the Philippines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 10:38 AM

986 posts, read 1,180,957 times
[quote=minibrings;26214394]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabalfred View Post

Yes but its worse in some countries than others, corruption is pretty bad in the Philippines.
And don't worry about the corruption when on vacation in the Philippines, because you won't even feel it when you leave it all behind after your fun in the Philippines!

Old 09-24-2012, 02:06 AM

268 posts, read 234,425 times
If anyone wants to view what particular FUN you prefer when visiting the Philippines... here's the official link :
It's More Fun in the Philippines

Old 09-24-2012, 04:03 PM

1,730 posts, read 2,201,982 times
My 2 daughters were adopted from the Philippines. One from Manila, other from Cebu. Jewels of our lives. We hope to make 1 more trip during their teens so they can see & remember better. We enjoyed Tambuli resort on Mactan Island. It was on the Philippine Sea or Sulu Sea, I forget which. Nice resort. We met a lot of good people there but I was also approached by a lot of pimps & prostitutes on the streets. Sadly, PI has a flourishing child sex trade too, as I am told by friends there.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
My 2 daughters were adopted from the Philippines. One from Manila, other from Cebu. Jewels of our lives. We hope to make 1 more trip during their teens so they can see & remember better. We enjoyed Tambuli resort on Mactan Island. It was on the Philippine Sea or Sulu Sea, I forget which. Nice resort. We met a lot of good people there but I was also approached by a lot of pimps & prostitutes on the streets. Sadly, PI has a flourishing child sex trade too, as I am told by friends there.
Thank you for your good heart by adopting your 2 daughters from the Philippines... and I'm glad that they are your Jewels... Can we also say Adopting is more FUN in the Philippines?

I'm sure you'll have more FUN in your next visit when the girls are in their teens...

As for the sad news... our new government leaders are working to have them minimized or even stopped... so as not to spoil the FUN... MABUHAY!

Old 09-25-2012, 03:30 AM

If you want to experience the FUN of riding a Jeepney (mode of transportation that was a modified version of the US military Jeep) in the Philippines... you will notice that even though the passengers don't know each other... when you pay for your fare and you happen to seat at the very end... you will just say "bayad po!" (here's my fare) and hands will stretch to take your money and give it to the driver... and when the driver gives back your change, same thing will happen... and you get your loose change. We call that "damayan" (caring for each one).

If you want to see a photo of a Jeepney... click on the link below:

The World in a Postcard - Swap, Trade, Exchange Postcards: Philippine Jeepney

Old 09-26-2012, 08:03 AM

1,730 posts, read 2,201,982 times
We saw lots of Jeepneys, didn't get chance to ride one. Both times, we hired a driver to take us around. Not knowing the cities & having certain places to go, we played it safe. Used cabs a few times also. Next trip, at least 1 Jeepney ride.

Sorry to hear the gov is getting down on adoptions. Did some major problem come up? I understand Russia tightened up after the woman sent her boy back. That was an unusual case.

Strange thing we found & others we knew. Philippine offices may take forever to review papers, ask for more info, etc. Long periods of time hearing nothing. Get word to travel, our adoption agency director notifies them of our arrival time. We get call from someone that she's a social worker coming to pick us up. From there on, it is red carpet. Everyone very friendly from social workers to directors. In Cebu, social worker met us at airport, holding a sign with our name.

Someone we met on 1st trip took us to a wood carver's village 20-30 miles out of Manila. Can never remember the name of it. We loved that. The area was rice farms too & we saw lots of rice being dried on the road. Drivers went around it, never disturbing any.

I fell in love with lumpia, fresh bananas & fresh mangoes. Have always loved rice & loved getting the mounds of rice the fast food places served. Also loved Jollibee's hamburgers.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:02 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,486,357 times
[quote=Art2ro;26214688]
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
And don't worry about the corruption when on vacation in the Philippines, because you won't even feel it when you leave it all behind after your fun in the Philippines!
No it starts at the airport. Then you have to make sure you get into an honest cab driver. My friends in Manila insist on meeting me at the airport, for my safety.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
We saw lots of Jeepneys, didn't get chance to ride one. Both times, we hired a driver to take us around. Not knowing the cities & having certain places to go, we played it safe. Used cabs a few times also. Next trip, at least 1 Jeepney ride.

Sorry to hear the gov is getting down on adoptions. Did some major problem come up? I understand Russia tightened up after the woman sent her boy back. That was an unusual case.

Strange thing we found & others we knew. Philippine offices may take forever to review papers, ask for more info, etc. Long periods of time hearing nothing. Get word to travel, our adoption agency director notifies them of our arrival time. We get call from someone that she's a social worker coming to pick us up. From there on, it is red carpet. Everyone very friendly from social workers to directors. In Cebu, social worker met us at airport, holding a sign with our name.

Someone we met on 1st trip took us to a wood carver's village 20-30 miles out of Manila. Can never remember the name of it. We loved that. The area was rice farms too & we saw lots of rice being dried on the road. Drivers went around it, never disturbing any.

I fell in love with lumpia, fresh bananas & fresh mangoes. Have always loved rice & loved getting the mounds of rice the fast food places served. Also loved Jollibee's hamburgers.

Filipinos are generally hospitable people especially to foreigners... that was why I questioned the latest Bourne Legacy movie which has a part that was shot in Manila where a Filipina mother shouted hysterically and called the police when she saw a foreigner in their shanty... very un-Filipino... but try it yourself and perhaps you already experienced our hospitality

As for the "wood-carvers village" I believe you visited Paete, Laguna... that is a paradise to wood carving enthusiasts!

I'm glad you fell in love with lumpia, I love it too, as well as bananas and mangoes - FUN to munch them indeed

And about Jollibee humburgers? Ah yes! Did you know that only in the Philippines that Mcdonald's got beaten by another hamburger chain? It's Jollibee - More FUN to eat hamburger in the Philippines!

Old 09-27-2012, 03:53 AM

[quote=minibrings;26261409]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post

No it starts at the airport. Then you have to make sure you get into an honest cab driver. My friends in Manila insist on meeting me at the airport, for my safety.
I'm glad that you also visited the Philippines ... yes, anywhere in the world we must be very careful...

I onder what made you come to the Philippines though... was it for business or pleasure? Care to share the FUN you had while visiting us? Seemingly your friends in Manila do give you FUN already
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia