U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-01-2012, 04:15 AM
 
268 posts, read 234,732 times
Reputation: 41

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
7000 islands at a fraction of the cost of the Carribean. Whats not to love?

If you love island hopping and music, the philippines are incredible.
Yeah! It is more FUN to island-hop and music-hop in the PHILIPPINES!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-01-2012, 04:29 AM
 
268 posts, read 234,732 times
Reputation: 41
Some think that the PHILIPPINES is still a primitive nation that is poverty stricken... yet when you actually come and visit... you will be amazed at the size of our Shopping Malls that sprout from many places... some malls are even larger than those of the Western Countries... but if you prefer to shop with a super low, low bargain prices... go to DIVISORIA and you will know what I I mean It is more FUN to SHOP in the PHILIPPINES!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2012, 05:03 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,956 posts, read 36,289,639 times
Reputation: 9496
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabalfred View Post
Some think that the PHILIPPINES is still a primitive nation that is poverty stricken... yet when you actually come and visit... you will be amazed at the size of our Shopping Malls that sprout from many places... some malls are even larger than those of the Western Countries... but if you prefer to shop with a super low, low bargain prices... go to DIVISORIA and you will know what I I mean It is more FUN to SHOP in the PHILIPPINES!
I noticed that too. Philippines is absolutely loaded with shopping malls everywhere. Probably more than any other country in Asia, by far.

Europeans have a negative stigma against shopping malls. North Americans, it depends on the person. I 'loathe' malls in theory, yet, I did appreciate the air-conditioning in the malls in the Philippines. Plus it gets you out of the street. I love walking in European streets or northeast Asian streets. But the PHilippines streets have a lot of obstacles, when you walk in them.

For me, I much prefer the beaches and islands and music. But, I did notice that the malls were very popular with locals and foreigners (of all nationalities).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2012, 06:28 AM
 
268 posts, read 234,732 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I noticed that too. Philippines is absolutely loaded with shopping malls everywhere. Probably more than any other country in Asia, by far.

Europeans have a negative stigma against shopping malls. North Americans, it depends on the person. I 'loathe' malls in theory, yet, I did appreciate the air-conditioning in the malls in the Philippines. Plus it gets you out of the street. I love walking in European streets or northeast Asian streets. But the PHilippines streets have a lot of obstacles, when you walk in them.

For me, I much prefer the beaches and islands and music. But, I did notice that the malls were very popular with locals and foreigners (of all nationalities).
Glad to know you had FUN with our islands... and beaches... and music... we love music and enjoy them...

It is also FUN to visit the cool and mountainous Baguio City up North of Manila... Or Tagaytay down South with the Taal Volcano - also called "a volcano within a volcano"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Durham
1,730 posts, read 2,205,407 times
Reputation: 1771
I mentioned the mall at Cebu Midtown. We also went to Robinson Place Mall in Manila. It was really nice too.

We also made the mistake our 2nd trip of not checking out the motels well. The one we found was on Mabini St. We spent 1 night there before going to Cebu, then got busy & found another motel. The motel itself was fine, good people, good food, etc. But Mabini St was not a good neighborhood at all, especially arriving at night. I had to go the the 7 11 on the corner & had a pimp try to divert me to a brothel nearby. Long story but I was lucky to get back OK. Doing over again, I would not have gone out at night. When we returned from Cebu, we stayed at Bayview Park Inn. Roxas Blvd I think it was. That was a good place & good neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Durham
1,730 posts, read 2,205,407 times
Reputation: 1771
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabalfred View Post
Glad to know you had FUN with our islands... and beaches... and music... we love music and enjoy them...

It is also FUN to visit the cool and mountainous Baguio City up North of Manila... Or Tagaytay down South with the Taal Volcano - also called "a volcano within a volcano"
Isn't Baguio the one place you have cooler weather? I heard from Filipino friends it can get to the low 50's there? BTW, my older daughter was fascinated 1st time she saw snow. She had only heard of it & kept asking us what it was like. Fortunately, we had snow that year. Some years we don't get any. We are in North Carolina, southeast part of US. Our summers are much like your's. Winters are fairly mild but we get some snow & ice some years. We actually get more ice than colder climates. Snow falls, melts as day warms up, freezes again at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 05:42 PM
 
268 posts, read 234,732 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Isn't Baguio the one place you have cooler weather? I heard from Filipino friends it can get to the low 50's there? BTW, my older daughter was fascinated 1st time she saw snow. She had only heard of it & kept asking us what it was like. Fortunately, we had snow that year. Some years we don't get any. We are in North Carolina, southeast part of US. Our summers are much like your's. Winters are fairly mild but we get some snow & ice some years. We actually get more ice than colder climates. Snow falls, melts as day warms up, freezes again at night.
yes, Baguio is branded as the "Summer Capital" of the Philippines... because lots and lots of people go up there during summer and enjoy the cool weather... Try going to this link to take a glimpse of Baguio and its Panambenga Festival Panagbenga Festival Baguio City

I also went to the USA and its truly a large and beautiful country too... In fact I went through all the 50 states including Alaska and Hawaii and met many nice people... but there's no place like home - the Philippines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Durham
1,730 posts, read 2,205,407 times
Reputation: 1771
Glad you had the chance to come to the USA. So you visited all 50 states? I haven't even done that. Growing up, my family didn't travel much. My mother and 2 of us kids got car sick easily. We traveled a lot in state. I've traveled slightly more as an adult. You may have seen a Jollibe or 2 in California. I used to hear they had a few of them.

Do you recall what part of North Carolina you visited?

For sure, no place like home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Durham
1,730 posts, read 2,205,407 times
Reputation: 1771
Alabalfred, the festival photos are great. Maybe we can go there for a day when we travel there again. We may be just our family or may join up with 2-3 other adoptive families.

BTW, where do you live? Around Manila, we are slightly familiar with Taytay, Antipolo & Quezon City. We've been to those areas. 1st trip, we stayed mostly at Las Brisas in Antipolo. Also stayed 1 night at Shalom Center, I think downtown Manila.

You mentioned Divisoria. Is that a large flea market kind of place? We went to a huge flea market in Manila, had indoor & outdoor areas. Sold everything under the sun. Most towns of any size here have something like that. We almost always call them flea markets. New and used items, sometimes food service. Farm people sell produce, baked goods like breads and cakes. Sometimes canned tomatoes, jellies, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2012, 02:20 AM
 
268 posts, read 234,732 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Glad you had the chance to come to the USA. So you visited all 50 states? I haven't even done that. Growing up, my family didn't travel much. My mother and 2 of us kids got car sick easily. We traveled a lot in state. I've traveled slightly more as an adult. You may have seen a Jollibe or 2 in California. I used to hear they had a few of them.

Do you recall what part of North Carolina you visited?

For sure, no place like home.
Yes I traveled through all the states mostly riding on Greyhound bus and Amtrack, except going to Alaska and Hawaii... I forgot the place in North Carolina but it was the place where the Battleship was made to become a tourist destination?

Yes there is a Jollibee in California and I got to dine there once, although it was not as huge as those Jolibees in Manila...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top