U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 08:49 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,020,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphoneneedsbattery View Post
I agree on your last comment . Internet seen many finlipinos on the internet such as youtube and including here. But arent filipino in poverty? They are not like Malaysia.
Yeah I don't understand it at all.

Very slow internet + mostly poor people= Filipinos all over the internet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 09:43 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,150,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post

Maybe it has something to do with 15 million overseas Filipino? if they're in Dubai or US the internet is very good and their income is probably higher than average Filipinos at home.

And also something to do with English proficiency, the Indonesian and Thais are everywhere in the media, but most of them only limit themself to the sites with language they can understand. For an instance Indonesian flooded kaskus with extremely high rate of new topic post per second.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:01 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,863,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Maybe it has something to do with 15 million overseas Filipino? if they're in Dubai or US the internet is very good and their income is probably higher than average Filipinos at home.

And also something to do with English proficiency, the Indonesian and Thais are everywhere in the media, but most of them only limit themself to the sites with language they can understand. For an instance Indonesian flooded kaskus with extremely high rate of new topic post per second.
Not just the overseas Filipinos but the Filipinos that are really in the Philippines. Filipinos in the Philippines use the net so much notwithstanding being poor. There are internet stations everywhere and many foreign tourists find it fascinating that there is Wifi everywhere. There was even a proposal to have Wifi in bus stops.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:50 PM

10 posts, read 9,115 times
I am an Asian woman, me and my Asian relatives and friends, female and male, do not like to travel to the Philippines.
I don't think most Western women like the Phillippines much.

The Philiippines is really for the Western men only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I'd go:
nature and beaches.

I wouldn't go for:
1. women looking for foreigners to marry to escape poverty, the sex trade I've seen in other SE asian countries, I find disturbing
2. poverty
3. Manila esp crime
4. Any area where people have been kidnapped
5. Heat and humidty
6. Insects and other vermin

Old 08-15-2014, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourmotheruis View Post
I am an Asian woman, me and my Asian relatives and friends, female and male, do not like to travel to the Philippines.
I don't think most Western women like the Phillippines much.

The Philiippines is really for the Western men only.
Maybe you and your Asian friends don't like to go there, but 1 million Koreans travel there each year.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:25 AM

15,956 posts, read 36,230,096 times
Quote:

I don't think it's so unusual.

The Internet is a relatively cheap activity to engage in, much like watching TV. When you can't afford restaurants, travel, on and on, you can always get together some pesos to get more 'load' for your phone.

I think what happens is family who work abroad, end up getting their friends and family connected, so they can chat and skype and everything else.

Then once those facilities are setup, that can be your 'thing to do' when you don't have any money to go out or do other things.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I don't think it's so unusual.

The Internet is a relatively cheap activity to engage in, much like watching TV. When you can't afford restaurants, travel, on and on, you can always get together some pesos to get more 'load' for your phone.

I think what happens is family who work abroad, end up getting their friends and family connected, so they can chat and skype and everything else.

Then once those facilities are setup, that can be your 'thing to do' when you don't have any money to go out or do other things.
Yeah, but the internet is the slowest in Asia, yet Filipinos are all over youtube videos (comments section especially) It's like they're wasting half of their day waiting for youtube videos to load.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:47 AM

15,956 posts, read 36,230,096 times
Quote:
Yeah, but the internet is the slowest in Asia, yet Filipinos are all over youtube videos (comments section especially) It's like they're wasting half of their day waiting for youtube videos to load.
Complete addicts Well, all the malls, and the streets also have Internet Cafes everywhere, some of them really cheap too. All hooked up with webcams and such as well. Actually, speaking of which, all the internet cafes that do exist in HK/SG, and there aren't a lot, but the internet cafes that are around, are all loaded up with Filipinas as well, chatting away on skype and such!

I think it's in the culture...

THE OTHER THING. When I visit the U.S., the malls are completely empty during the daytime hours. Almost everyone is at work, wives, husbands, everyone. In comparison, when I visit the Philippines, it almost feels like no one works, at times! Malls are absolutely filled at all times of the day, any day of the week, at anytime.

I don't know people get their money...but they certainly have a ton of free time available to themselves in the Philippines! With that much free time, I think getting online is almost inevitable.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:03 AM

399 posts, read 581,534 times
I don't think jobs are plentiful in the Philippines. That's why so many people go overseas. There is seasonal work but it's seasonal. So many people have free time. My wife has many young cousins. Some go to college. Others have seasonal work which is temporary. Some have nothing to do. Others just help their parents doing on the field or doing little jobs for others.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:03 PM

4 posts, read 3,494 times
Internet in the Philippines might not be as fast as those in other asian countries but it doesn't mean it takes hours to load a website. Furthermore, in the Philippines, you can purchase internet access for as low as P15/hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia