Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 02:30 AM

268 posts, read 275,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Alabalfred, the festival photos are great. Maybe we can go there for a day when we travel there again. We may be just our family or may join up with 2-3 other adoptive families.

BTW, where do you live? Around Manila, we are slightly familiar with Taytay, Antipolo & Quezon City. We've been to those areas. 1st trip, we stayed mostly at Las Brisas in Antipolo. Also stayed 1 night at Shalom Center, I think downtown Manila.

You mentioned Divisoria. Is that a large flea market kind of place? We went to a huge flea market in Manila, had indoor & outdoor areas. Sold everything under the sun. Most towns of any size here have something like that. We almost always call them flea markets. New and used items, sometimes food service. Farm people sell produce, baked goods like breads and cakes. Sometimes canned tomatoes, jellies, etc.
Yeah! You will enjoy and will surely have FUN in that Summer Capital... perhaps you can check your travel agency when's the Flower festival so you would be able to have FUN along with many foreign and local tourists.

I live about an hour and a half drive south of Manila... In Cavite - the Revolutionary province that led in our fight for independence from foreign aggressors.

I'm amazed you're still familiar with those places you visited here - you surely had some FUN here and I'm glad that it's not the wrong kind of FUN

I believe you went to Divisoria Flea Market indeed... now-adays they bring these flea markets inside malls... Try to visit Market-Market in Taguig or the Port... as well as the Mall of Asia where one cann hurt their feet walking around but having FUN still
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 06:06 AM

2,616 posts, read 3,144,625 times
Ha ha. Alabalfred don't give me too much credit! I remember the names of the places but set me down in Manila & I'd have no idea how to get to any of them. I'd have to get a cab & tell the driver where to go.

Battleship North Carolina, that is in Wilmington. Wilmington is 1 of our major port cities, Morehead City is the other. For some years, Wilmington was our largest city. Lots of beach towns near there. We go to Carolina Beach sometimes. Wilmington has become a motion picture city also. A number of films have been produced there.

I have heard of Cavite but don't know anyone there. I imagine Jose Rizal lived or spent time there if it was a leading province in your independence movement. I'm rusty at the moment but I remember reading up on him before we took our 1st trip. He said something about not wanting "the slaves of today to become the tyrants of tomorrow". Great wisdom, as we look around the world & see people like Mugabe, Amin, Bokassa and countless others who fought dictators or colonial powers just to become the new head tyrants. I have several friends from Liberia, who lost lots of family in the civil war there, speaking of tyrants. IMHO, one of our biggest mistakes in the US was not supporting Philippine independence right after the Spanish American War. The Philippine War should never have happened. In spite of that, the Philippines chose to fight with us in WWII, a blessing to us that opened our eyes. I think I remember from history class that Japan offered the Philippines the chance to team up with them. A Filipino vet lives in our town. I see him at Memorial Day & Veteran's Day ceremonies each year.

Thinking back, I think the Taytay market is another of the places we went. Have you shopped there? We heard people talk about the Antipolo market too, but I don't think we went there.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:27 PM

ha ha. Jmellc... me too. I had a map of the US of A with me when I went through the 50 states - but all I need to remember was NEWS - North, East, West and South and I will not be lost

Yes that's right! I was in Wilmington! and took some picture with that Battleship as background...

And yes Cavite was the leading province during our fight for independence... Rizal was already dead - executed by the Spaniards which sparked the revolution... although Rizal was not from Cavite but from the neighboring province of Laguna. He is from Calamba Laguna but spent his school years out of it and spent mostly in Europe where he wrote his two novels (Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo)... He gave his life in Luneta, now Rizal Park... tourists usually come by there for picture-taking

Its a blessing that we were born at peace time... although China is bullying us now and trying to take what is rightfully ours - the Scarborough Shoal and Spratly Islands that are rich in oil of about trillion of barrels... something good is happening in the Philippines lately that even our Stock Exchange do good PSEi closes at new all-time high - Yahoo! News Philippines

Nope I haven't shopped in Taytay yet but yes in Antipolo Market

Last edited by alabalfred; 10-03-2012 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: Spell check

Old 10-04-2012, 02:48 AM

If you are a diver... and want to have FUN in one of our diving spots that is world class... you might want to try "The Tubbataha reef in Palawan was named the eighth best dive site in the world by CNN’s travel news website CNNGo.com. Tubbataha Reef Photos | Tubbataha Reef Pictures - Yahoo! News Philippines

Old 10-04-2012, 02:56 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
What are you trying to do, sub-consciously make us want to visit by constantly mentioning how FUN it is?

Old 10-04-2012, 03:32 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
Mabini street

It's in the heart of Ermita, the red light district of Manila! no wonder there were pimps there!

Old 10-04-2012, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What are you trying to do, sub-consciously make us want to visit by constantly mentioning how FUN it is?
Hi there! I'm just echoing the tag line of our Department of Tourism that it's more FUN in the PHILIPPINES

Try visiting this site : It's More Fun in the Philippines

Old 10-04-2012, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Mabini street

It's in the heart of Ermita, the red light district of Manila! no wonder there were pimps there!
There are other places and activities that are more FUN to visit in the PHILIPPINES... It's More Fun in the Philippines

Old 10-04-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Mabini street

We had chosen the motel from a website with side notes on convenience to airport, etc. Unfortunately it did not give notes about neighborhoods, etc. Didn't take long for us to find out though! We talked a lot to a Filipino business executive next day on the plane to Cebu. As soon as I said Mabini St, he said we needed to find another motel. I said we were already working on it. We talked on & told him what parts of North Carolina we were from. He asked if I knew of Wilson & Rocky Mount. Wilson was 1/2 hour from my home town & Rocky Mount 1 hour. His co. sold packaging products of all kinds. He had visited companies in those towns to sell packaging. It really is a small world and getting smaller.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:13 AM

We tried to learn some Tagalog before our 1st trip. Bought a tape. We flopped pretty badly, other than learning a few words. 2nd trip, the social worker in Cebu gave us a list of Cebuano words. I saw some were very similar, some different. Unfortunately, I lost the list, along with a whole clipboard of journal notes. I learned 1st time around to journal if I wanted to keep days/events straight. Any time in a new place doing new things, time gets confused. So, 2nd trip I started notes from the time we left our house. Had notes about Detroit airport, Tokyo airport, Manila, Cebu, etc. Best journal notes I ever made. I left clipboard on a paper towel dispenser in a men's room. Went back 10 minutes later & it was gone. That was at Bayview Park Inn. I kept checking with the front desk but it was never found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia