U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 06:13 PM

32 posts, read 111,628 times

Advertisements

I'm not too sure about Shanghai but I've been in China, specifically Chengdu and a bit in Beijing and I literally only saw two black people in Chengdu. As for Beijing, it was more diverse than Chengdu but I still haven't seen many.

I made friends from Norway in China and the locals will stop you and ask to take pictures of you whether you're white, black, or blonde hair. But maybe that's only in the Sichuan province because some areas just never see foreigners.

When I did see a few black people, the Chinese people were as curious as seeing someone with red hair or blonde hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 01:18 PM

270 posts, read 536,992 times
I lived in Shanghai for 2 years and loved it. I also taught English at a summer camp and privately. There's a lot to know about living in China and Shanghai.

Let me ask, where are you planning to teach?

I can give you a lot of information regarding Shanghai. Just need to know where you're planning to work and live.

Bill

Old 01-15-2013, 12:19 PM

47 posts, read 85,616 times
Thank you for the responses. I have declined my job offer.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,658 times
Well it's November 2013 and I have been in Suzhou for only 3 months. I have many paparazzi here. Too many Chinese take pictures without my notice. Many other ask to take pictures with me. Some also ask to touch my African hair. And I hear all the time behind me people gossiping I am a model. I speak a lil mandarin so I hear that a lot. It doesn't make going out fun but I have no choice cos of the purpose for which I am here for.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:07 AM

6,631 posts, read 8,315,973 times
How large is the black population in some of these Chinese cities?

I recently saw pictures of an African neighborhood with hundreds if not thousands of people in Guangzhou, China. It's shocking how the world as a whole is becoming more diverse and dispersed.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:53 PM

6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
How large is the black population in some of these Chinese cities?

I recently saw pictures of an African neighborhood with hundreds if not thousands of people in Guangzhou, China. It's shocking how the world as a whole is becoming more diverse and dispersed.
It's said Guangzhou has up to 200,000 Africans, and many are illegal.
Some of them marry Chinese women and settle down.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:49 AM

2,803 posts, read 3,038,780 times
You will stand out for sure but whether you enjoy that experience depends very much on your personality. If you are an introvert, you will probably hate life. If you are an extrovert like me, you will love the attention. Some of the best trips I've had are the ones where I'm the rarity. It's a very empowering feeling to have everyone walk past you look you in the eyes. I can never get that type of response walking around my native NYC.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:41 PM

347 posts, read 414,527 times
The Chinese are notorious for hating other cultures and ethnic groups. So Racism is common there. But they will try to keep this part a secret. Just remember what you learned in US HISTORY class about the CHINESE, money don't change anyone for the better.

I know you eat their food and watch shows with oriental people on it and buy their chinese made products, but the reality is be prepared.

If the Chinese hate other neighboring Oriental countries, then just think about what they think of black people from America.

Orientals can be mean toward one another, so just think how they may treat you, expect for someone talk behind your back etc.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:16 PM

6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyexpat View Post
The Chinese are notorious for hating other cultures and ethnic groups. So Racism is common there. But they will try to keep this part a secret. Just remember what you learned in US HISTORY class about the CHINESE, money don't change anyone for the better.

I know you eat their food and watch shows with oriental people on it and buy their chinese made products, but the reality is be prepared.

If the Chinese hate other neighboring Oriental countries, then just think about what they think of black people from America.

Orientals can be mean toward one another, so just think how they may treat you, expect for someone talk behind your back etc.
Nonsense.
Chinese people may have some problems with neighboring countries but it is not based on race.

Most Chinese people do NOT believe they are born to be superior or inferior, which is very different from white supremacists.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:35 PM

2,803 posts, read 3,038,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyexpat View Post

Nothing like accusing another group of racism with your own brand of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia