Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 08:21 PM

47 posts, read 99,678 times

Advertisements

I have been offered a teaching position in Shanghai and would like to hear from other people who have visited or lived (preferably) in the area about their experiences. I would like to learn about the weather, nightlife, cost of living and places that cater to ethnic hair care as I am a black woman. I am excited yet extremely nervous about the year abroad, but something tells me I will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 09:46 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
There are videos on youtube by expats in Asia, many of them seem to be black, for some reason. You should check them out.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:16 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
I have a friend who went to China. She is Nigerian. She said that everyone wanted to touch her hair. As for hair care, I don't know if there are any places in Shanghai that cater to Black hair.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:34 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have a friend who went to China. She is Nigerian. She said that everyone wanted to touch her hair. As for hair care, I don't know if there are any places in Shanghai that cater to Black hair.
I think Chinese people don't have the same sense of personal boundaries as those in the West. Most are genuinely curious, though, they're just not used to seeing many black people. If you know any Chinese, however, you can tell them that next time it's polite to ask before randomly touching someone's hair lol.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:34 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think Chinese people don't have the same sense of personal boundaries as those in the West. Most are genuinely curious, though, they're just not used to seeing many black people. If you know any Chinese, however, you can tell them that next time it's polite to ask before randomly touching someone's hair lol.
It is also interesting to note something else. I know a Black guy who went to China, and some people want to take pictures with him.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:51 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't know about Shanghai in particular, but I've seen plenty of Africans from Africa live and work and get involved in some kind of trade or business throughout all the major cities in Asia. In short, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a black congregation of businesses that have some hair care.

I've seen that in Tokyo, Seoul, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Jakarta...and pretty much every other big city in Asia...so most likely there is someone black somewhere in Shanghai who is also doing a hair salon or two for the African clientele.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:34 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I met a couple of black people (a female teacher and a male businessman) living in Shanghai when I visited the city. They seemed to be enjoying their life in Shanghai.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:42 PM

47 posts, read 99,678 times
Bumping for more responses.

I have watched videos on YT and have conducted numerous searches on various websites to learn more about the experiences of black people in Shanghai. Thanks to all who have responded.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:55 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
I've lived in South Korea and Japan for many years. I've known MANY African-Americans and others (Nigerians, Jamaicans, Haitians, etc.)

Generally, China and Korea had similar experiences. African skin/hair is a novelty. People are curious just to see or feel, nothing threating, but pure curiousity. Over here in Japan, I think they are slightly more use to seeing black people. But, probably similar reactions.

In Japan, there are many hip-hop shops everywhere with the 'authentic' black person, usually from Africa, who owns it, but sporting some American basketball jersey, etc.

In Korea/China, I don't think that image is as popular as it is Japan. But, at least when I was in Korea, it seemed mostly people were just very very curious. I have noticed a regular theme of non-Americans trying to portray themselves as Americans though. I can't count the number of times I've met someone with a very clear Nigerian or African accent trying to tell all the locals that he's from Houston or somewhere in the U.S.

But, anyways...can't think of a ton of negatives....most of the experiences seem to be based around curiousity more than anything. You'd just have to get use to the fact that people will be very curious about you, over here in Asia.

I'm white...but this is based on dozens and dozens and dozens of AA's/Blacks, etc I've known and met and everything else over here.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:37 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,410 times
I would not be able to deal with the stares day in and day out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia