U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 08:38 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times

Advertisements

In my opinion:

Overrated:

Bangkok
Pattaya, Thailand
Phuket (nice, but the beaches are spoilt by tourist's)
Nha Trang and surrounds, Vietnam
Parts of Laos and Cambodia
Halong Bay, Vietnam
Yangshao-Guilin region, China
Great Wall of China, China
Bali - mostly the touristy spots, Indonesia
Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Doha
Antalya, Turkey

Underrated:

Yunnan Province, China
Hoi An, Vietnam
Central Highlands, Vietnam
Penang, Malaysia - better than Phuket for culture
East Malaysia/North Borneo, better beaches than Thailand and better wildlife by far
Much of China in general
Hainan Island, China
South Korea
Most of the Philippines
Sumatra and Borneo
Eastern Turkey
Most of India
Sri Lanka
Myanmar
Central Asia
Iran

Appropriately rated:

Singapore
Chiang Mai
Shanghai
Tokyo
Kyoto and the rest of Honshu
Most of Malaysia, inc. KL
Hong Kong, although overrated in some aspects

Old 09-25-2012, 01:17 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,765,694 times
just because a place lacks appeal to international travellers doesn't mean it's underrated. it's prolly unpopular for a reason.

curious as to why you put pattaya in the overrated category. the general consensus among western tourists is negative, so how can it be overrated? if you're not into the bar scene, golf, etc you're not going to like the city and no one really goes there for anything else. unless theyre russian or indian or something and dont know any better.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:43 PM

111 posts, read 240,955 times
Myanmar is not underrrated. It's simply NOT a good place to visit. lol
Great Wall of China is not overrrated. It's an impressive structure that has been around for centuries.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:20 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,880,681 times
The Great Wall is not even close to being overrated...it is a place that everyone should see before going six feet under.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
The Great Wall is not even close to being overrated...it is a place that everyone should see before going six feet under.
It's definitely magnificent. Actually it was a bit unfair to put it there, but I did so for two main reasons:

1. The main wall that the majority of tourists see, at Badaling, isn't mostly a 're-creation'! That's right, I think some of it was 'real' but a lot of it was rebuilt recently. There are very very few 'original' sections of the wall still visible (we're talking 200 BC). And they don't resemble what the popular image of the wall is at all, they're more like mud ramparts.

2. I guess it's not a fault of the wall but it's a structure you can't appreciate fully from just seeing it at one point (goes without saying). Maybe walking along it's length or part of it's length will give you a better idea.

Either way I wouldn't say I was let-down, but in terms of sheer impact of visiting it doesn't quite measure up to the Great Pyramid or the Vatican City but then few places do.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:45 AM

32,071 posts, read 32,968,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's definitely magnificent. Actually it was a bit unfair to put it there, but I did so for two main reasons:

1. The main wall that the majority of tourists see, at Badaling, isn't mostly a 're-creation'! That's right, I think some of it was 'real' but a lot of it was rebuilt recently. There are very very few 'original' sections of the wall still visible (we're talking 200 BC). And they don't resemble what the popular image of the wall is at all, they're more like mud ramparts.

2. I guess it's not a fault of the wall but it's a structure you can't appreciate fully from just seeing it at one point (goes without saying). Maybe walking along it's length or part of it's length will give you a better idea.

Either way I wouldn't say I was let-down, but in terms of sheer impact of visiting it doesn't quite measure up to the Great Pyramid or the Vatican City but then few places do.
I have been to the Great Wall and I wasn't disappointed. I think everyone who has the opportunity should get there.

I have also been to Vatican City and I also think it is a place that one should visit if they have the opportunity to do so.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:38 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,765,694 times
the great wall is not visually impressive at all, so don't see what all the fuss is about. i think it's insanely overrated as a tourist attraction. nice to read about, a complete waste to visit if you only have a limited amount of time in the country, since there are much more worthy things.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:13 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,775,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

can you rate what would be your first pick if you have only been to the UK and France, and most or Europe?

I am planning a trip , many people recommend Bali or Thailand. Why do you like Vatican City so much? I have heard Venice and Florence are stll interesting to visit. Thanks for any suggestions for a newbie whos finally having some travel time , and money

Old 10-03-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
can you rate what would be your first pick if you have only been to the UK and France, and most or Europe?

I am planning a trip , many people recommend Bali or Thailand. Why do you like Vatican City so much? I have heard Venice and Florence are stll interesting to visit. Thanks for any suggestions for a newbie whos finally having some travel time , and money
I haven't been to Europe yet , but I hope to this year. It's just what I've seen from travel vids etc. Vatican City and Rome look pretty amazing, I think I'd like Florence more than Venice.

I hope to go to Italy, Greece, UK, France, Spain, Germany, Denmark first, but might just see 3 countries.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:34 PM

12,584 posts, read 15,050,467 times
Bangkok is overrated, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or