U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,421,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Certainly, but if you are inferring that the Warring States Era I would not go along with that idea. It is generally considered that that period took place within China proper. The conquest of Inner Mongolia however can certainly be debated as a foreign war. There is also a very well done film about Inner Mongolia's rebellion against China and the Japanese in the first half of the 20th century. According to many Chinese it is a fairly accurate film called "Ga Da Meilin"
I'm sorry but that doesn't seem to make sense to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 11:56 PM

1,487 posts, read 2,056,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm sorry but that doesn't seem to make sense to me...
Oh sorry. I meant if you were inferring that the Warring States period was connected to foreign incursions by China then I don't agree.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:00 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,421,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Oh sorry. I meant if you were inferring that the Warring States period was connected to foreign incursions by China then I don't agree.
No, I was just referring to the idea that China has had one ruler for 5,000 years, which is not true since for large periods it was fragmented itself. China is more like Western Europe in one respect than one nation. A civilisation.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:04 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,612,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post

You would think since he needs to use a proxy to get to this site (as verified by many posters unless this has changed) that shows his government controls everything their citizens are exposed to.
For your interest:
(1) I live in Boston, MA.
(2) I worked in China, Europe and the US. I have lived in 4 states of America.
(3) I speak three languages.
(4) I have two graduate degrees from US universities.

A problem of some Americans is that they are too arrogant to listen to different opinions.
It is never possible to tell them any truth they do not want to know.

Some brainwashed Americans (aka rednecks) can never think critically either.
No surprise though. Their public high school education is the WORST in the developed world, and it is the only developed country which turns universities a money machine. So pathetic.

Last edited by Bettafish; 02-15-2013 at 12:30 AM..

Old 02-15-2013, 12:17 AM

Just listen to American politicians' speech. No matter it is from Mitt Romney or Barack Obama or others, it is always full of BS and lies.
Right, China is no better but at least the politicians don't make so many speeches.

Those things really have lowered American people's IQ.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:43 AM

1,487 posts, read 2,056,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
No, I was just referring to the idea that China has had one ruler for 5,000 years, which is not true since for large periods it was fragmented itself. China is more like Western Europe in one respect than one nation. A civilisation.
I see. What I meant but should have made clearer is that while someone eluded to a democratic state China did not have a system that would have allowed that until 1910. Until the fall of the Qing the Chinese states, kingdoms etc. were monarchies.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:52 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,876,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
For your interest:

A problem of some Americans is that they are too arrogant to listen to different opinions.

No surprise though. Their public high school education is the WORST in the developed world, and it is the only developed country which turns universities a money machine. So pathetic.

Again your speaking from what your government wants you to believe. That is ok.

I do agree with you, the public school system is lacking, however there are many top notch universities. That is why so many people from around the world flock to them.

You should not generalize redneck as a brainwashed American. It is actually offensive slang to some folks. I am glad you get so defensive over your country, everyone who cares about their country should. However, it does not change how it is ran.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:23 PM

22,164 posts, read 23,691,169 times
Quote:
For your interest:

The US's public education system has serious flaws, but it's over a huge spectrum with many regional differences. Certainly the best school districts within the US do very well but that's distributed a very large country with significant inequities and large issues with newly arrived immigrants who aren't less intelligent but must still spend a good bit of time learning the fundamentals on which English-language educations rests as well as overcoming economic difficulties given the number of people who are economic migrants before it's expected they shore up the standardized test stats.

There are a good deal of Americans who are skeptical of American political actions both domestic and abroad as has been evident in numerous protests or sea changes in the political landscape. There are a good deal of people within the US who are very vocally against an American-centric viewpoint and have a particular distaste for American exceptionalism and they are very much allowed to be public and vocal about that.

Quote:
Just listen to American politicians' speech. No matter it is from Mitt Romney or Barack Obama or others, it is always full of BS and lies.
Right, China is no better but at least the politicians don't make so many speeches.

Those things really have lowered American people's IQ.
The question is the degree of how disingenuous those speeches actually and the ability to voice criticisms outside of those speeches which become part of the national dialogue and can lead to regional if not national changes and reforms. The kind of withering criticism that US politician can be subjected to and how quickly some must adapt their positions (flip-flopping in a less polite term) is part of what makes the US system different from China's. What happens when a major media source or ideologue runs a report contrary to the party line in China as opposed to the US? And it's not as if Chinese people are always unaware of the kind of doublespeak or misrepresentations presented in state-sanctioned media--there's almost always a dose of healthy criticism but it seldom makes it on to the national scene.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:24 PM

^^ In China everyone knows the government lies. Gossiping about political rumors is a part of Chinese people's life.
Chinese people are VERY interested in politics in general. Much more than Americans do.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:54 AM

22,164 posts, read 23,691,169 times
Quote:
^^ In China everyone knows the government lies. Gossiping about political rumors is a part of Chinese people's life.
Chinese people are VERY interested in politics in general. Much more than Americans do.
In that respect, most people in the US figure politicians are crooked though and they actually have the means in place to effect change or at least the individual takedowns of politicians. I'd also argue that the ratings for various news shows and the great diversity of views in there seems to point towards Americans being a lot more interested than you believe though this changes from region to region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or