U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 12:35 PM

986 posts, read 1,204,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
How is life in Japan simple? Define simple, because Japanese seem to have stressful lives compared to other developed nations, when it comes to the high expectations of education and work and what not.

As for the OP's question, thank anime and manga for the proliferation of the "Wapanese"

My view is of a simplistic style only (aesthetic wise) and not about the stresses of their lives, that's their business how they want to live their lives! Each to their own!

aes·thet·ic/esˈTHetik/

Adjective: Concerned with beauty or the appreciation of beauty.

Noun: A set of principles underlying and guiding the work of a particular artist or artistic movement.

Synonyms: esthetic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 02:17 PM

25,058 posts, read 23,834,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
My view is of a simplistic style only (aesthetic wise) and not about the stresses of their lives, that's their business how they want to live their lives! Each to their own!

aes·thet·ic/esˈTHetik/

Adjective: Concerned with beauty or the appreciation of beauty.

Noun: A set of principles underlying and guiding the work of a particular artist or artistic movement.

Synonyms: esthetic
So aesthetic in an artistic sense, then? Because the way you used simplicity I thought you meant their lifestyle, not their looks or tastes I'm still confused

Old 09-30-2012, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,666 times
I like Japan just b/c I like their manga and amine such as Detective Conan & Kaito Kid

Old 09-30-2012, 03:48 PM

14,747 posts, read 29,275,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojob8 View Post
Yeah, Japan has an interesting culture and has interesting and rich history but so many people are overboard when it comes to Japan. Why do so many people like and idealize Japan so much in comparison to other Asian countries?
I saw this in LA as a kid. Japanese were initially the dominant Asian force in LA. The Koreans and Chinese came later, with the Chinese being a constant in SF.

Except for a few stoic a-holes I recall, most of the Japanese kids I grew up with very cool. They were super Americanized, being natives of LA. I learned all the Japanese swear words from them. Of a handful of best friends in HS, one was Japanese-American.

Still, there was a contingent of people who took up Japanese, had Japanese art in the house, and overdid it when it came to finding Japanese people to hang out with. It's LA. Why not learn Spanish? Or why not learn French or Italian? They're easier, and the former is useful for day-to-day living.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So aesthetic in an artistic sense, then? Because the way you used simplicity I thought you meant their lifestyle, not their looks or tastes I'm still confused
I wasn't confused and I wrote the post in my own POV! I guess your take on simplicity is different from mine since your post was of something else as you read it in your mind's eye! Each to their own meaning I guess! At least I explained my version of it, but it seems to still confuse you! Oh Well!

Old 09-30-2012, 05:47 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,465,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojob8 View Post
Yeah, Japan has an interesting culture and has interesting and rich history but so many people are overboard when it comes to Japan. Why do so many people like and idealize Japan so much in comparison to other Asian countries?
They don't. In all my years I've never known anyone who went overboard in studying Japanese culture ....... though I did once meet someone who could tell me everything about Okinawans (including that they are very different from the Japanese.)

Old 09-30-2012, 06:05 PM

Go to Steven Seagal's bio here and read all about his interesting experiences in Japan, he's "the man" and an "ass kicker" to boot not just in the movies, but true to life:

Steven Seagal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Steven Seagal - Master Of The Aikido - YouTube

Old 09-30-2012, 07:13 PM

136 posts, read 189,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
They don't. In all my years I've never known anyone who went overboard in studying Japanese culture ....... though I did once meet someone who could tell me everything about Okinawans (including that they are very different from the Japanese.)
Well then, I met different people than you met.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:30 PM

14,747 posts, read 29,275,808 times
Oh, yeah, this might not be cool, but white groupies in LA who were into the whole bowl of wax were called "eggs." Figure it out. I found those with an exaggerated penchant for Japanese culture were often odd.

Read definitions #5 and #6.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=egg

Old 09-30-2012, 07:42 PM

37 posts, read 42,919 times
Mainly because it is the only Asian country which is first world and romanticized through history, also, Anime and parts of Japanese culture are well represented in the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or