U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 06:53 AM

15,947 posts, read 36,185,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Japan is a lot more traditional than I thought.

Would you say Italy is more or less that way than Japan? I mean do women work as housewives and look after the grandparents to the same extent? In terms of being traditional I see Italy is being up there in Europe.

Then again, if you went to Copenhagen or Vancouver it's likely you might not see a lot of gay couples because they don't always display affection publicly. Doesn't mean they're not very tolerant.
I'm not so sure about Italy.

Regarding Copenhagen/Vancouver. I haven't been to Copenhagen, but I have been to Vancouver. I didn't see any gays displaying affection in publicly though. I'd assume they do at times.

I've seen thousands and thousands of gays all over the U.S. who often show affection and walking around and such. Especially in NYC, SF, Portland Oregon, Minneapolis, Washington DC, and whatever other large cities I've been to. There are entire communities in them, in all of those cities. Entire neighborhoods well-known for gay men. Other places more well-known for lesbians, etc.

I guess the ironic thing though is that the Federal Law in the U.S. seems questionably tolerant of them. Yet, I've yet to see that in public anywhere in Northeast Asia anywhere, despite the fact that there probably aren't any national laws against it, and I don't think anyone is trying to pass laws against it either. Probably no reason to try to pass a law, as no one sees it anyways.

No particular point to saying that, just observational stuff...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 06:57 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,421,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm not so sure about Italy.

Regarding Copenhagen/Vancouver. I haven't been to Copenhagen, but I have been to Vancouver. I didn't see any gays displaying affection in publicly though. I'd assume they do at times.

I've seen thousands and thousands of gays all over the U.S. who often show affection and walking around and such. Especially in NYC, SF, Portland Oregon, Minneapolis, Washington DC, and whatever other large cities I've been to. There are entire communities in them, in all of those cities. Entire neighborhoods well-known for gay men. Other places more well-known for lesbians, etc.

I guess the ironic thing though is that the Federal Law in the U.S. seems questionably tolerant of them. Yet, I've yet to see that in public anywhere in Northeast Asia anywhere, despite the fact that there probably aren't any national laws against it, and I don't think anyone is trying to pass laws against it either. Probably no reason to try to pass a law, as no one sees it anyways.

No particular point to saying that, just observational stuff...
Would you say part of it is that PDA's are just less a part of Asian culture? I mean did you see as many straight couples displaying affection in Asia as the US?

Singapore, Malaysia and Myanmar are the only E or SE Asian countries which have laws against homosexuality (which I thought of when you mentioned it being more tolerated in SE Asia). In the case of Singapore at least though it only applies to male homosexuality. I saw a documentary about homosexuals in Singapore and know that a fairly large underground community exists. Strangely prostitution is legal in Singapore. It goes to show that law and practice don't always go hand in hand.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:05 AM

28 posts, read 49,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I assume you're referring to this sentence: "When I moved to Korea, I found that to not be the case at all. It was very hectic, had a strong sense of extremely conservative confucianism thinking, heavy consumptionism, and a stronger interest in christianity than buddhism."

Japan has the consumptionism and sort of hectic. I found Korea much more hectic though. I didn't find Japan to have that much of confucianism structure anywhere near as strong as Korea though. I guess we both agree that the christian religions aren't that strong in Japan at all, whereas in Korea they are.

So, I guess the only one left for me to expand on, is the confucianism. Yeah, Japan has a little bit of it, but nowhere near the level of Korea. In Korea, it really dictates all things, and is immensily in overdrive. I see it in Japan a little bit, but nowhere near the level of Korea.

For example, in Korea, pretty much ANY OLDER MAN will lecture any female and anyone younger on and on and on and on and on at anytime about anything. Everyone younger and/or female just has to nod their head and bow back to them, agreeing 100% to every word, all the time. Stuff like that. I see bowing and respect in Japan, but most Japanese men seem pretty kind and nice and sweet people. Korean old men put everyone on edge all the time. Just NOT pleasant people to be around, whatsoever. That kind of Confucianism seems to go over in Korea in a major way.

(I've been in Japan about 4 1/2 years now, and I was living in South Korea for about 8 years).
Thanks for the insight - from what I've heard from many people, Korea is kind of a mirror of Japan from 25-30 years ago, in various ways (I don't know how true that is, but from what I've experienced it seems reasonable).

Old 10-01-2012, 07:10 AM

15,947 posts, read 36,185,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Would you say part of it is that PDA's are just less a part of Asian culture? I mean did you see as many straight couples displaying affection in Asia as the US?

Singapore, Malaysia and Myanmar are the only E or SE Asian countries which have laws against homosexuality (which I thought of when you mentioned it being more tolerated in SE Asia). In the case of Singapore at least though it only applies to male homosexuality. I saw a documentary about homosexuals in Singapore and know that a fairly large underground community exists. Strangely prostitution is legal in Singapore. It goes to show that law and practice don't always go hand in hand.
That's true. In Northeast Asia, you'll almost never see any couple displaying affection. A kiss is extremely taboo. It grosses people out.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:06 AM

17,271 posts, read 19,566,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojob8 View Post
Yeah, Japan has an interesting culture and has interesting and rich history but so many people are overboard when it comes to Japan. Why do so many people like and idealize Japan so much in comparison to other Asian countries?
Japan comes off to me as a pretty advanced and rich country - more so than any other Asian country. Tokyo is one of the top cities in the world - right up there with New York City, London and Paris. I'm also interested in learning more about ancient Japanese culture.

That's why the idea of visiting Japan is appealing to me.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:16 PM

2,145 posts, read 1,589,850 times
Because if the American culture many live in was a computer program, Japan was it being run out with different input parameters. Then it crashed sometime in the 90s.

I would say no two societies were more alike (or more rich and glamorous) than 80s USA and 80s Japan.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:48 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,945,905 times
I like visiting Japan. I would consider living there in the right location with the right job. Maybe in the Tokyo metro area, though I think way down in Miyazaki would be my preference for warmer climates and more surf. At the same time, I'm not sure if I could live with such a follow-the-rules and in-your-neighbor's-business society. Everyone always remarks on how clean and neat Japan is, but that comes at a price of freedom, fun, and rowdyness, IMO. Also, COL is obscenely high. My impression of the Japanese is that they are the "Germans of Asia". Hard-working, industrious, but also very repressed and prone to outbursts of officially-sanctioned/denied society-wide pathological behaviour (ala. Nanking/Holocaust).

My wife and I like anime, especially the psychological stuff like Shonen Bat, bizarre slice-of-life like Welcome to the NHK, or the off-the-wall kind like FLCL. The brutal honesty (and sometimes just brutality) of some of the series is really refreshing compared to the tired cliche's of a lot of American drama.

Someone asked about gender equality and acceptance of homosexuals in Taiwan. Homosexuality in Taipei is widely accepted. Several popular TV personalities are openly gay or have changed genders. Generally the Taiwanese are not given to PDA's so it's hard to tell which same-sex couples are friends and which are lovers. When my spouse and I visit the young people market near old town, we often stop by a strip of gay bars to rest and have a drink. We're hetero, but the drinks are cheap.

Women are very "equal" in Taiwanese society. They are expected to go to college, get an advanced degree, manage a successful career, and--as an afterthought almost--have children as well. It's this expectation that has driven Taiwan's birth rate to be one of the lowest in the developed world; around 1 child per COUPLE. I think only HK is lower. Social issues like outlawing abortion / birth control etc. are pretty much nonstarters in Taiwan. At the same time, there are some gender roles which are socially cemented. There are no women in the military. There are few workplace harassment protections. However, the media is extremely influential and will gleefully persecute harassers, and they'll be shunned by society in general.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:12 AM

111 posts, read 241,237 times
I think after the world war 2, Japan has been heavily introduced and promoted in the US. I know some Hollywood celebrities in the 50s going to Japan. And they were famous and known here in Japan. I don't even know how that happened.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:50 PM

12,611 posts, read 15,076,634 times
The Japanese people are usually well mannered and polite and great hosts/hostesses. Whenever I have visited Japan, I always left in awe at how polite complete strangers in Japan were to me.

Japan is also very high tech and efficient.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:09 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,365,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
The topic was about the Japanese culture and not about the lifestyle of the Amish, Mennonite, German Colonies, which they have a totally different style of their own even though one may consider it a "simple" lifestyle!
The Japanese people just have their own style of "simplicity" like no other nationalities of any country!
That's what I mean of "simplicity" of the way of life of the Japanese culture, where's there's just no similar comparison, especially the scenery and landscape of their country!
Unfortunately their country sits right in the path of "The Ring of Fire" making their landmass susceptible to catastrophic earthquakes and tsunamis!
Scandinvian design (specifically, Swedish) is highly regarded in Japan for its simplicity and efficiency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or