U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-10-2013, 03:12 PM
 
369 posts, read 800,556 times
Reputation: 339

Advertisements

I wouldn't say i'm obsessed with Japan but i'm most interested in Japan out of all Asian countries:


I'm really in awe of how they can be so polite and highly respectful of others, which is in sharp contrast to their aggressive and brutal wartime behaviour. The fact that they are usually polite to a fault and strongly considerate for others' feelings and needs just made me feel like their nation's war record should no longer be condemned.


Although some might point out the fact that the Koreans and Chinese are more outgoing and friendly than the Japanese, i'd feel that the latter are usually warmer and more hospitable than the former. Once the Japanese gets to know you better, they would extend a hand of invitation to you to their events, unlike the Koreans and Chinese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2013, 03:53 PM
 
3,764 posts, read 3,805,972 times
Reputation: 5198
Because the Japanese are probably the most civilized country on Earth.


The level of kindness, patience, and attention to detail they have is amazing. They're basically the Germans of Asia, but take precision and attention to detail to a whole different level.

You can leave your computer, wallet, and cell phone on a table in a cafe in Japan and go to the bathroom, and guess what, all your stuff will still be there when you get back. Crime and stealing are almost unheard of in Japan compared to almost every other nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
1,413 posts, read 3,875,391 times
Reputation: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Because the Japanese are probably the most civilized country on Earth.


The level of kindness, patience, and attention to detail they have is amazing. They're basically the Germans of Asia, but take precision and attention to detail to a whole different level.

You can leave your computer, wallet, and cell phone on a table in a cafe in Japan and go to the bathroom, and guess what, all your stuff will still be there when you get back. Crime and stealing are almost unheard of in Japan compared to almost every other nation.
In before someone takes his post too seriously.

Agreed, it is refreshing that you do not have to look over your shoulder when walking through a metropolis like Tokyo. While we all know crime exists, it is not as violent or common compared to other parts of the world.

Interesting statistics here, especially compared to a lot of other Asian countries. China's rate is low, so before someone reacts to the amount, the rate is still low. 1 per 100,000 is not bad. You just get higher numbers when a country is over 1 billion people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
147 posts, read 189,021 times
Reputation: 217
From what I have seen, people who enjoy video games, anime comics, sci-fi, cars, and/or electronics are obsessed with Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Mount of Showing the Way
1,953 posts, read 2,070,935 times
Reputation: 615
Roots of the Emperor of Japan & the Imperial House of Japan are scion of Sumerian King. D2 gene=YAP. - Japanese is born with an extra gene. The secret is in Sumer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 01:32 PM
 
6,726 posts, read 6,609,353 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Because the Japanese are probably the most civilized country on Earth.


The level of kindness, patience, and attention to detail they have is amazing. They're basically the Germans of Asia, but take precision and attention to detail to a whole different level.

You can leave your computer, wallet, and cell phone on a table in a cafe in Japan and go to the bathroom, and guess what, all your stuff will still be there when you get back. Crime and stealing are almost unheard of in Japan compared to almost every other nation.
It's interesting you mentioned Germany.
Both of them initiated the WWII, and both were extremely brutal, especially towards Jews and Chinese.
There must be something in common. Too much self-discipline often leads to cruelty to other people.

In fact I think the French and Chinese have something in common too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 02:36 PM
 
1,487 posts, read 2,055,454 times
Reputation: 936
I lived the decade of the 1960's in Japan. At that time There were few Westerners there with the exception of the American GI's and they weren't very obsessed with the country at all. I had since high school, a deep interest in the language and the culture especially the literature. This all came about because I was raised in a Japanese-American area of Los Angeles and my high school had both Chinatown and Little Tokyo within it's district. I had a freshman English teacher who as a J-A and he introduced me to modern Japanese literature. The more I read the more fascinated I became and by the end of high school I had read all there was translated. I realized that in get to the very depth of the subject you had to know the language and that is true of all literature. But the Japanese, being and Island country, have a totally different approach to writing than other cultures. Also having been a closed nation with no one in or out for 250 years also had a great effect on the culture in general and especially the literature. I realized I'd have to go there to really learn the language and that again in true of any language.

Western students and especially American students didn't really begin to go there and learn about the country until the late 70's. Each time I returned I found more and more people had developed a great interest in not only Japan but all if East Asia. This was spurred on by the economic boom first in Japan and then in Korea and China.

I didn't find the people "obsessed" (the word may have fit a few odd-balls) but for the most part I found, especially among Americans, a deep interest in the area. By the 1990's the interest seemed to top out and more people had become interested in China.

The funny thing is not about Japan at all, it's more about us. If you are interested in Western culture, say for example France, you are a francophile or if it is The UK you are an anglophile but you are not "Obsessed". However if you are interested in the Orient you are looked at as a bit strange even loony and you are now "obsessed" in the minds of many. This affects even the interested person and the strange thing I found about Westerners and mainly Americans is each one develops his own private Japan or Korea and is really very protective of that so-called space so I suppose that one might see these Japanophiles a bit obsessed. Perhaps it is still because most in the West still see the Far East as "exotic". Even the definitions differ slightly, for example:


Francophilia (or Gallophilia) a strong positive predisposition or interest toward the government, culture, history, or people of France. One with such a predisposition is a Francophile.

Japanophilia is an interest in, or love of, Japan and anything Japanese; its opposite is Japanophobia. One who has such an interest or love is a Japanophile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
1,413 posts, read 3,875,391 times
Reputation: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It's interesting you mentioned Germany.
Both of them initiated the WWII, and both were extremely brutal, especially towards Jews and Chinese.
There must be something in common. Too much self-discipline often leads to cruelty to other people.

In fact I think the French and Chinese have something in common too.

During WWII they both countries treated their leader like a God. It is really interesting to see how Hirohito transformed the country from thugs and invaders to a country of ingenuity and savvy. I would think his cabinet during WWII had a lot more to say then he did, but regardless, what happened was not right.

I often wondered where Japan would be today, had the US forced Hirohito out of power and faced the trials he should have faced.

Anyway, there is a lot to your point and one does have to wonder...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 03:56 PM
 
369 posts, read 800,556 times
Reputation: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It's interesting you mentioned Germany.
Both of them initiated the WWII, and both were extremely brutal, especially towards Jews and Chinese.
There must be something in common. Too much self-discipline often leads to cruelty to other people.

In fact I think the French and Chinese have something in common too.

Fascism laid the groundwork for authoritarian rule in both countries during WW2. The theory behind fascism was that, the only way to unite a nation and its people was through war and violence, and that autarky was necessary for a powerful nation as she would be economically self-sufficient in terms of natural resources and food supplies.


Also, just as the newly united German nation embarrassed France time and again by taking Alsace-Lorraine in 1871 and setting foot in French soil during the First and Second World War, Japan did exactly the same by taking Korea and Taiwan in 1895, imposing the 21 Demands on China and invading China in 1937.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 04:09 PM
 
6,726 posts, read 6,609,353 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
Fascism laid the groundwork for authoritarian rule in both countries during WW2. The theory behind fascism was that, the only way to unite a nation and its people was through war and violence, and that autarky was necessary for a powerful nation as she would be economically self-sufficient in terms of natural resources and food supplies.


Also, just as the newly united German nation embarrassed France time and again by taking Alsace-Lorraine in 1871 and setting foot in French soil during the First and Second World War, Japan did exactly the same by taking Korea and Taiwan in 1895, imposing the 21 Demands on China and invading China in 1937.
China had endless revolutions from 1840s to 1949, just like France had been doing earlier.
People knew China needed to change, but the country was too big and people had way different opinions:
Some wanted to follow the British (constitution+Monarchy), others wanted to model Japan, while still others loved Soviet Union, or the US. Many of the revolutions in China can be explained in terms of ideology conflicts.

Generally speaking, Chinese people are also "lazier" and "sloppier" than Japanese. They lost most wars in recent history. Even during war time, there were big developments of Chinese cuisine, Chinese opera and literature. Something very weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top