Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 09:30 AM

136 posts, read 235,790 times

Advertisements

Yeah, Japan has an interesting culture and has interesting and rich history but so many people are overboard when it comes to Japan. Why do so many people like and idealize Japan so much in comparison to other Asian countries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 09:41 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
I live in Japan, but I'm not obsessed with it. I'm actually quite oblivious to all the comic book and anime and such. I believe that is what attracts many westerners.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:44 AM

987 posts, read 1,386,267 times
I like the Japanese culture and their lifestyle! "Simplicity" is their way of life even though their economy and cost of living is now expensive!
They have come a long way after WWII, but they were already OK before the WWII, but they just got arrogant, big headed and wanted to rule the world! The atomic bomb put them back in their place!
I would love to live in Japan if I could afford it and if their immigration laws will allow it without being complicated to stay indefinite in their country!

Old 09-30-2012, 09:46 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
I like the Japanese culture and their lifestyle! "Simplicity" is their way of life even though their economy and cost of living is now expensive!
They have come a long way after WWII, but they were already OK before the WWII, but they just got arrogant, big headed and wanted to rule the world! The atomic bomb put them back in their place!
I would love to live in Japan if I could afford it and if their immigration laws will allow it without being complicated to stay indefinite in their country!

You can get simplicity anywhere in the world if you want it with the Amish, Mennonite, German Colonies or your own choice to live simply without being part of any group.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:50 AM

840 posts, read 1,147,238 times
They're a fully developed country that already worked out most the kinks other Asian countries are still dealing with and were diverged their resources to entertainment, technology and what's not. The same way Americans always idealize English/France/whatever and not Serbia.

Personally, I'm more into Korean culture.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:52 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
The simplicity is not so easy in the winter. Extremely poor insulation, even with a heater on all the time, it doesn't feel much different than being outside.

Regarding WWII...Japan just tried to do the 'colonialism' thing a century too late. It wasn't 'cool' anymore when they tried it.

Immigration laws. Plenty of people stay here a very long time, who aren't Japanese. It's easier than you think. Of course it helps if a person either marries into the culture, or is seen as an 'asset' to the culture - i.e. advanced degrees, etc.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 09-30-2012 at 10:12 AM..

Old 09-30-2012, 09:58 AM

987 posts, read 1,386,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You can get simplicity anywhere in the world if you want it with the Amish, Mennonite, German Colonies or your own choice to live simply without being part of any group.
The topic was about the Japanese culture and not about the lifestyle of the Amish, Mennonite, German Colonies, which they have a totally different style of their own even though one may consider it a "simple" lifestyle!
The Japanese people just have their own style of "simplicity" like no other nationalities of any country!
That's what I mean of "simplicity" of the way of life of the Japanese culture, where's there's just no similar comparison, especially the scenery and landscape of their country!
Unfortunately their country sits right in the path of "The Ring of Fire" making their landmass susceptible to catastrophic earthquakes and tsunamis!

Last edited by Art2ro; 09-30-2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old 09-30-2012, 11:18 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
The topic was about the Japanese culture and not about the lifestyle of the Amish, Mennonite, German Colonies, they have a different style of their own even though one may consider it a "simple" lifestyle!
The Japanese people just have their own style of "simplicity" like none of the other nationalities of any country! That's what I mean of "simplicity" of the way of life of the Japanese culture, where's there's just no comparison!
How is life in Japan simple? Define simple, because Japanese seem to have stressful lives compared to other developed nations, when it comes to the high expectations of education and work and whatnot.

As for the OP's question, thank anime and manga for the proliferation of the "Wapanese"

Old 09-30-2012, 11:20 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Japanese anime and video games. Ever since Dragon Ball Z and Nintendo, people have been obsessed with Japan and everything Japanese has become like a cult following among gamers. It's not surprising how dissapointed many of them become once they actually move to Japan and experience the culture first hand. They find life there is nothing like the anime or movies.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:27 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Japanese anime and video games. Ever since Dragon Ball Z and Nintendo, people have been obsessed with Japan and everything Japanese has become like a cult following among gamers. It's not surprising how dissapointed many of them become once they actually move to Japan and experience the culture first hand. They find life there is nothing like the anime or movies.
Heh, kinda like how Canada is disappointing to some Americans because it's not as liberal and utopia as they idealized but, that's why they call that having rose tinted glasses. It also happens with people who move away from where they came from, and start developing a romanticized past that never existed about their country whenever their new country disappoints them or doesn't live up to their expectations.

You can see it all over the internet, always 14-16 year olds wanting to move to Japan already "because it's so awesome". I've had Japanese penpals in the past, and not because I was obsessed with anime, I wanted to see if the hype was all true. Needless to say, I concluded that I'm glad I'm not Japanese they seem to be a stressed out people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia