Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 03:17 PM

218 posts, read 1,240,792 times

Advertisements

In business in particular, what is the lingua franca of Malaysia? English, Malay, Mandarin? On the streets I would assume Malay (or is it? what about in Kuala Lampur) but I'd be curious to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 07:13 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum237 View Post
In business in particular, what is the lingua franca of Malaysia? English, Malay, Mandarin? On the streets I would assume Malay (or is it? what about in Kuala Lampur) but I'd be curious to know.
English is the main language of business, although Malay and the Chinese languages are used as well.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:00 AM

218 posts, read 1,240,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
English is the main language of business, although Malay and the Chinese languages are used as well.
Thanks. Very interesting. I heard the government is trying to de-emphasise English in favour of Malay.

Is it that the Chinese minority are disproportionately represented in the country's business scene (even despite the racist affirmative action policies working against them), so not many of the Chinese know Malay (because of different schools and Malay being seen as an "ethnic language"), therefore English becomes the unifying language between the different race groups?

Old 10-02-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum237 View Post
Thanks. Very interesting. I heard the government is trying to de-emphasise English in favour of Malay.

Is it that the Chinese minority are disproportionately represented in the country's business scene (even despite the racist affirmative action policies working against them), so not many of the Chinese know Malay (because of different schools and Malay being seen as an "ethnic language"), therefore English becomes the unifying language between the different race groups?
I should mention that it depends what sort of business you're talking about. If you mean most of the shop-keepers, it will depend on the specific group of people. In Chinese owned businesses Mandarin, Hokkien, Cantonese, Hakka is often more commonly spoken, in Malay places of business Malay, and in Indian Tamil, Hindi, Bengali.etc. I would say yes, Chinese are disproportionately represented in business, although the government is using 'affirmative action' to get more Malays into university.etc. Actually almost everyone, at except maybe some older Chinese and Indians, can speak Malay because it is the language of much instruction in schools and is taught throughout school. More Malaysians will use Malay at least some of the time, even if they live in a Chinese enclave like Ipoh. Most Malaysians can speak English, although their proficiency ranges from native (with an accent of course) to pretty basic. In general, the more educated the better their English is likely to be. You shouldn't have trouble finding people who speak English except maybe in the smallest of rural kampongs.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:22 AM

991 posts, read 1,769,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I should mention that it depends what sort of business you're talking about. If you mean most of the shop-keepers, it will depend on the specific group of people. In Chinese owned businesses Mandarin, Hokkien, Cantonese, Hakka is often more commonly spoken, in Malay places of business Malay, and in Indian Tamil, Hindi, Bengali.etc. I would say yes, Chinese are disproportionately represented in business, although the government is using 'affirmative action' to get more Malays into university.etc. Actually almost everyone, at except maybe some older Chinese and Indians, can speak Malay because it is the language of much instruction in schools and is taught throughout school. More Malaysians will use Malay at least some of the time, even if they live in a Chinese enclave like Ipoh. Most Malaysians can speak English, although their proficiency ranges from native (with an accent of course) to pretty basic. In general, the more educated the better their English is likely to be. You shouldn't have trouble finding people who speak English except maybe in the smallest of rural kampongs.
And the rural kampongs are populated by Bumi's which are native Malays who don't speak Bahasa but their own dialect. You will find in corporate Malaysia lingua franca is English, followed by Bahasa, followed by Hokkien.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
And the rural kampongs are populated by Bumi's which are native Malays who don't speak Bahasa but their own dialect. You will find in corporate Malaysia lingua franca is English, followed by Bahasa, followed by Hokkien.
If you go to the jungle and the villages you will see the 'real' aboriginal people of Malaysia, the real 'sons of the soil'. They are 'negritos' and have dark brown skin and very curly/kinky hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia