U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Asian City?
Singapore, Singapore 8 5.41%
Tokyo, Japan 16 10.81%
Hong Kong, China 84 56.76%
Seoul, Korea 6 4.05%
Beijing, China 1 0.68%
Shanghai, China 3 2.03%
Dubai, the United Arab Emirates 2 1.35%
Bangkok, Thailand 19 12.84%
Taipei, Taiwan 3 2.03%
Osaka, Japan 6 4.05%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 12:08 PM

4 posts, read 8,030 times

Advertisements

Bangkok similar with Jakarta, over crowded :d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 04:43 AM

6 posts, read 5,362 times
Singapore is East Asian(Southeastern Chinese)+ SE Asia(Malay)+ S Asia(SE Indian) + a little Middle Eastern + Western(English language and cuisine)

HK is definitely Asian+Western in culture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Singapore is probably the best city that represents all of Asia. I mean it's got East Asian, South Asian, Austronesian and even some Middle Eastern culture. Kuala Lumpur too.
Most residents of major global cities in the world are stressed and serious anyway.
NYC, London, Tokyo, HK, Singapore.
But probably not Paris, LA and Sydney.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJohnsson View Post
What criteria are we looking at? Tokyo is one of the largest cities in the world and a lot going on, but people living there tend to be a bit stressed and serious.
HK, KL, Bangkok, Singapore and Dubai are major air transit hubs and Seoul and Tokyo are not.

Hong Kong has a border with Mainland China with most of its visitors from it although foreign visitors are also highly visible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Hong Kong alone gets more tourists every year than South Korea and Japan combined.
Seoul is not the most visited Asian city that's for sure...
Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Singapore, Dubai and Istanbul have more tourists than Seoul.
HK's view can be seen from mountains and harbour front on both sides of the harbour, or from a boat crusing in the harbour.
Tokyo's harbour is not interesting. Singapore's harbour has 1 side only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Tokyo's city skyline is uninspiring, HK and Singapore have it beat. I think Tokyo is all about the street-level experience.

From afar Bangkok does look pretty ugly: it's skyline doesn't look well planned and it's a jumble of all kinds of buildings just thrown together. But it does have some nice architecture. From a distance Singapore is quite pleasing and not as boring as some make it out to be. A lot of it's attractions lie outside the city centre.

Last edited by greyhairgfap; 10-16-2014 at 04:59 AM..

Old 10-16-2014, 04:52 AM

6 posts, read 5,362 times
China and Thailand are third worlds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Well it depends on the criteria
An over to some other criteria
Most scary city - Chengdu (I was by myself for the first two days and I couldn't speak chinese)
Worst Experience - Bangkok (I was convinced by my ex girlfriend to visit, but I was not interested in getting back together, pluss the city is dirty and ugly.)

Old 10-17-2014, 03:49 AM

1,031 posts, read 904,663 times
I've only been to Singapore, Hong Kong, Taipei, Seoul and Bangkok.

My personal ranking:

3rd is Taipei - people are very disciplined, people are gorgeous, best chinese food for me.
2nd is Bangkok - everything is affordable, people are extremely friendly, food is good (it's just so spicy!).
1st is Singapore - nearly a perfect city, clean and green environment, going out is easy as ABC, food is good and also cheap, better career opportunity (if you like to work here) but it may be boring for a yuppie expat. Maybe I'm a little bit biased since I live here and it is family friendly city.

Not that I don't like Hong Kong and Seoul, my experiences were not so good when I was there. But i was fascinated by the technology at Seoul and the vibrancy of Hong Kong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or