U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 05:38 AM

353 posts, read 803,999 times

Advertisements

Just curious, what culture do the majority of citizens from Shenzhen and Guangzhou most identify with: Mainland Chinese culture or Hong Kong culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 05:44 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times
China is a diverse country with many regional cultures. Most Chinese people, whatever the region, whatever the ethnic group, can speak Mandarin because they are taught this. In Guangdong and Hong Kong Cantonese is the lingua franca of the common person on the street. Chinese from Guangdong can almost all speak Mandarin but often speak Cantonese and share some cultural similarities with those from Hong Kong such as cuisine. Hong Kong is getting more Mandarin influenced though but it still seems pretty Cantonese through and through.

You probably know that 'Canton' was the old name for Guangzhou.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:08 PM

6,214 posts, read 6,370,006 times
From what I have heard, the southern regions of China are the more economically liberal, and exert the most autonomy from the central gov't in the North. Also most of the people in Hong Kong came from Guangdong province and most likely have relatives still there, at least during the dark days. They all speak the same dialect.

I have been to Hong Kong, but not shenzhen or Canton, but I am going to go with my gut instinct, and say that they look more to Hong Kong. Afterall, the Cantonese have to stick together.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:50 PM

12,594 posts, read 15,058,526 times
Southern China is very close language wise to HK and Macau. The culture is a little close, but HK people are a lot more Westernized (because of the previous British rule and colonization). Native HK'ers are usually fashion conscious and hip.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:38 PM

570 posts, read 1,505,250 times
Shenzhen and Guangzhou mainly speak cantonese like Hong Kong. Shenzhen and Guangzhou have many different mirgrant chineses from many regions of China, so you should expect people may speak languages and have cultures that even some Chinese don't understand.

The city is similar to HK because they both big cities and expensive. people who have money in Shenzhen and Guangzhou are westernized too. HK people act differently because of what they learn in school in different than China.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:55 PM

128 posts, read 295,992 times
I thought Mandarin was dominant in Shenzhen.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:05 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horiz View Post
I thought Mandarin was dominant in Shenzhen.
Cantonese is the traditional language of Guangdong, but most people can speak Mandarin.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:37 AM

880 posts, read 1,734,826 times
While the majority of the people in Guangzhou and Shenzhen speak Cantonese, I feel like they identify more with mainland culture. There are still A LOT of Mandarin speakers there and I'd like to say they've been "influenced" by Hong Kong a bit, just because they are right there, and that's the only reason people can speak Cantonese.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:24 AM

128 posts, read 295,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Cantonese is the traditional language of Guangdong, but most people can speak Mandarin.
I thought most people of Shenzhen were migrants from inland.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 AM

570 posts, read 1,505,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
While the majority of the people in Guangzhou and Shenzhen speak Cantonese, I feel like they identify more with mainland culture. There are still A LOT of Mandarin speakers there and I'd like to say they've been "influenced" by Hong Kong a bit, just because they are right there, and that's the only reason people can speak Cantonese.

No, the reason people speak Cantonese in Shenzhen and Guangzhou because that's their main language. HK people are from canton(Guangzhou) province.

people who speak Mandarin in Shenzhen are mostly migrants. locals and older generation don't speak Mandarin at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or