U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-17-2012, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Sometimes Miami sometimes Australia
1,093 posts, read 2,278,272 times
Reputation: 1057

Advertisements

There are two types of Asian hair - reddish black and blue black. Basically only the very fair people have the bluish-black hair. It is considered the most desirable. I don't know if Asians born overseas would really be able to tell (or even know about) the difference, but ask anyone in east Asia (especially China, Korea or Japan) and they should know about it

 
Old 12-17-2012, 05:36 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
probably central asians, but they certainly do have caucasian genes. East asians have always thick jet and straight black hair.
Clearly, stereotypes are your friend. Anyone with an observant eye who has actually been to several Asian countries can easily tell you otherwise. I've met people who look full Chinese with kinky Afro like hair. Maybe it's one of those 'mutation' things like blue eyes but I've seen it. And indeed I had a friend from Hong Kong who had pretty curly hair.
 
Old 12-17-2012, 05:39 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
All the asians I've met have been very black haired with straight hair. And I've met koreans, japanese and chinese.
In my experience, the Southern Chinese and Vietnamese are mostly likely to have the straightest hair.




David Suzuki is full Japanese in terms of ancestry (although he's Canadian of course) and his type of hair isn't atypical in Japan. Watch enough Japanese movies/TV shows, or meet enough Japanese people and you'll know.
 
Old 12-17-2012, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,324,029 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In my experience, the Southern Chinese and Vietnamese are mostly likely to have the straightest hair.




David Suzuki is full Japanese in terms of ancestry (although he's Canadian of course) and his type of hair isn't atypical in Japan. Watch enough Japanese movies/TV shows, or meet enough Japanese people and you'll know.
japanese have ainu ancestry
 
Old 12-17-2012, 06:20 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
japanese have ainu ancestry
Why do people keep insisting than curly/brownish hair MUST be the result of non Asian ancestry (or non-Mongoloid)?

Not all humans fit into your neat little categories. There are aborigines in Australia with BLONDE hair and dark skin, who have no European blood whatsoever. There are 'black' people in Vanuatu who as kids have light blonde Afros. Human beings can be weird creatures indeed. Suzuki doesn't look very Ainu to me, and the Ainu are no more curly haired than the Yayoi etc were.
 
Old 12-17-2012, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,324,029 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Why do people keep insisting than curly/brownish hair MUST be the result of non Asian ancestry (or non-Mongoloid)?

Not all humans fit into your neat little categories. There are aborigines in Australia with BLONDE hair and dark skin, who have no European blood whatsoever. There are 'black' people in Vanuatu who as kids have light blonde Afros. Human beings can be weird creatures indeed. Suzuki doesn't look very Ainu to me, and the Ainu are no more curly haired than the Yayoi etc were.
then why is it japanese who only have these qualities??
 
Old 12-17-2012, 06:40 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
then why is it japanese who only have these qualities??
It's not just Japanese who have these qualities. I've met Chinese people with hair like Suzuki's or even wavier/curlier. They're not uncommon. With women especially, however, the problem is many DO perm/curl their hair so it skews things, but I'm talking middle aged men, young kids...China is a nation of 1.4 billion, it's full of genetic diversity. Akin to Western Europe. In the same ways Swedes have straighter hair than Italians, some parts of China have more curly-haired individuals.
 
Old 12-17-2012, 07:49 PM
 
17 posts, read 62,513 times
Reputation: 16
I have lived in China and Hong Kong for quite some time but I must admit I've never seen an East Asian with reddish or slight brown hair! Not naturally born with. As for myself, mine is black, straight when short but start to get curvy when it gets longer.
 
Old 12-17-2012, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Sometimes Miami sometimes Australia
1,093 posts, read 2,278,272 times
Reputation: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1304 View Post
I have lived in China and Hong Kong for quite some time but I must admit I've never seen an East Asian with reddish or slight brown hair! Not naturally born with. As for myself, mine is black, straight when short but start to get curvy when it gets longer.
It's not apparent unless someone points it out. A very subtle difference. After a while, you pick it out though
 
Old 12-17-2012, 10:49 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
78,526 posts, read 70,430,585 times
Reputation: 76489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
se, Japanese or Vietnamese person with naturally brown or slightly reddish hair though, that I know of. My guess is the reddish hue comes from the Altaic-Central Asian phenotypes, which are probably most common in North Asians (Asian Russia), then Korea, Western China, Mongolia, Tibet. Mongolia in fact has people who look 'Mongoloid' but have brownish, reddish or even blondish hair, and light eyes, blue, green.etc. The Uyghars of Western China and Kazakhs also have this feature.
A friend of mine in Russia is from a tribe that's related to the Koreans, and she has reddish-brown hair. She said she thinks it comes from Indo-Euro admixture thousands of years ago, when early Indo-Europeans nomads migrated into Asia and settled the Altai Mountains, Mongolia, northern China, and oasis towns of eastern China desert regions. Some archeologists in China as well as the West say those people migrated as far east as the Korean border. Genetic studies on Uighurs, Tibetan nomads and Kazakhs show about 50% Indo-Euro admixture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top