U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 11:33 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A friend of mine in Russia is from a tribe that's related to the Koreans, and she has reddish-brown hair. She said she thinks it comes from Indo-Euro admixture thousands of years ago, when early Indo-Europeans nomads migrated into Asia and settled the Altai Mountains, Mongolia, northern China, and oasis towns of eastern China desert regions. Some archeologists in China as well as the West say those people migrated as far east as the Korean border. Genetic studies on Uighurs, Tibetan nomads and Kazakhs show about 50% Indo-Euro admixture.
It's possible, but it's also possible it could be an independent development, as with the Australian aborigines and Melanesians.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:47 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times
I've seen Filipinos with red and blond streaks in their hair, usually kids who stay out in the sun a lot. People say that the sun causes the highlights

Old 12-17-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I've seen Filipinos with red and blond streaks in their hair, usually kids who stay out in the sun a lot. People say that the sun causes the highlights
The sun might accentuate the highlights, but I'm not sure about causing them. Maybe they put something in their hair and the sun does the rest.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:08 AM

78,521 posts, read 70,430,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's possible, but it's also possible it could be an independent development, as with the Australian aborigines and Melanesians.
With the Aussie aborigines and Melanesians, it's due to the fact that they're a very ancient people, the remnants of the first wave of migration out of Africa. So the races hadn't differentiated at that point; those people are said to carry some of the characteristics of all later "races". It would be interesting to see what genetic analyses of the Korean people have to say.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:38 AM

Quote:
The sun might accentuate the highlights, but I'm not sure about causing them. Maybe they put something in their hair and the sun does the rest.
I dunno. It's usually really poor kids, so I find it hard to believe that they're putting anything in their hair on purpose. But who know...

Here are some examples I found

All sizes | Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | Smokey mountain | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | DSC_4524 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | 20080315-IMG_7411 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

He's part of the Badjao "Sea Gypsy" ethnic group

All sizes | Badjao Kid in Siargao | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Also Badjao

All sizes | kids watching the Badjao work project3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | Cebu dump slum 087 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | Children of Carbon | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | PH288 soon he will be out from this slum | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And all the instances of blond hair happened to be blocked, so I couldn't post the pics. But here are the links...
All sizes | Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Ulingan Kids (8775) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Super friends | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | sitio-baseco 094 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | sitio-baseco 075 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Barangay Alaska, Cebu - A Sea Bajau Kid | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And when I asked Filipinos why many children had red and blonde hair, they always mentioned that it was because of the sun, not hair dying.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:01 AM

^ It's possible some Austronesian groups just naturally have this trait, although I haven't observed it among Malays, Indonesians, or Polynesians, which are related to Austronesians. Then again if Melanesians can have it, why not some of the ethnic groups of the Philippines?

Actually come to think of it I've seen Cambodians with brown hair, so it's kinda funny how some Asian groups have this trait more than others. I mean why is it not present in say China, which has had more contact with Eurasia as a whole, than Vanuatu, Fiji, Cambodia?

Old 12-19-2012, 12:15 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,324,029 times
Quote:
^ It's possible some Austronesian groups just naturally have this trait, although I haven't observed it among Malays, Indonesians, or Polynesians, which are related to Austronesians. Then again if Melanesians can have it, why not some of the ethnic groups of the Philippines?

Actually come to think of it I've seen Cambodians with brown hair, so it's kinda funny how some Asian groups have this trait more than others. I mean why is it not present in say China, which has had more contact with Eurasia as a whole, than Vanuatu, Fiji, Cambodia?
poor nutrients leads to this...notice how this blondeness is only evident in the poorest filipinos

Hmong would be a better example...since blondeness is even evident amongst middle class hmong in the USA

Old 12-19-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
poor nutrients leads to this...notice how this blondeness is only evident in the poorest filipinos

Hmong would be a better example...since blondeness is even evident amongst middle class hmong in the USA
Nah i don't believe that. Even the poorest in Africa and Asia don't start becoming blonde. The blondeness among Hmong is probably because those in gangs, who tend to be poorer, like to dye their hair. Never observed even brown hair among adults among the Hmong, only children.

Some Australian aborigines also have blonde hair, usually in childhood. It's genetic, nothing to do with nutrients.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:09 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,324,029 times
Quote:
Nah i don't believe that. Even the poorest in Africa and Asia don't start becoming blonde. The blondeness among Hmong is probably because those in gangs, who tend to be poorer, like to dye their hair. Never observed even brown hair among adults among the Hmong, only children.

Some Australian aborigines also have blonde hair, usually in childhood. It's genetic, nothing to do with nutrients.
I dont know if your playing stupid or not...but most blonde hmongs are not canned blonde

and yes it may have to do with nutrient deficiency in Philippines....as the only place I have seen blondeism in the Philippines was in the slums of manila aka the poorest most malnourished people in the country...either it has to do with malnutrition amongst tagalogs and ethnic minorities...or it has to do with negrid elements in tagalogs..its a either or

Old 12-19-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
I dont know if your playing stupid or not...but most blonde hmongs are not canned blonde

and yes it may have to do with nutrient deficiency in Philippines....as the only place I have seen blondeism in the Philippines was in the slums of manila aka the poorest most malnourished people in the country...either it has to do with malnutrition amongst tagalogs and ethnic minorities...or it has to do with negrid elements in tagalogs..its a either or
A lot of the pics that I posted above were from Cebu, so it's not just Manila. And it's especially prevalent in Badjaos, which is why it seems like the sun has something to do with it.

This is the first time I've seen a grown Filipino with some blonde or red, and they happen to be a Badjao, people who spend almost all their time in the sun

Badjao | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Badjao, Davao City | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | Badjao, spearfisher | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I think it may be a combination of underlying Australoid genes (the Negritos in the Philippines are also known to have these hair colors) and then the sun brings it out in many individuals.

I've been reading that the Hmongs originally came from Siberia (which is basically all of Asian Russia), so they probably had contact with Central Asians, where blonde hair is not uncommon. Hmongs don't look that different from Central Asians. And maybe their isolation in the mountains kept the blonde gene around.

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 03:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or