U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-25-2014, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,241,785 times
Reputation: 2833

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyFox View Post
I agree.

All human features including hair color come from the aboriginal populations that settled the planet. Therefore, blonde hair is not a "European" trait. It is just that populations in Europe have some of the highest incidences of this trait, but that doesn't mean that the trait itself originated among European populations. Therefore, blonde hair, brown or reddish hair is something found among many indigenous "aboriginal" Asian groups from Central Asia, India, South East Asia and the Pacific and has absolutely nothing to do with European genes. And when I say aboriginal, I don't mean negrito necessarily either because all aborigines don't just have curly hair, just like in India and Australia. The occurrence of any human feature is the result of genetic drift and natural selection which will cause certain traits to be turned on or off in the genetic code over time. Hence people as far as possible from Europe in the Pacific have blonde hair.
Well they think there are different genes/genetic mechanisms responsible for blondism in Europe versus in other places, most notably Melanesian and Australia. Blondeism is not uncommon among children in some Australian Aboriginal and for instance people like Vanuatu and the Solomon Islands. It usually darkens but sometimes this is retained in adulthood. But they think they are different mutations, and are not really sure what the advantage of blonde or reddish brown hair in a tropical population might be. It seems rather a quirk, since blonde hair itself is almost unknown in most of the world.

 
Old 02-25-2014, 07:38 AM
 
83 posts, read 153,869 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well they think there are different genes/genetic mechanisms responsible for blondism in Europe versus in other places, most notably Melanesian and Australia. Blondeism is not uncommon among children in some Australian Aboriginal and for instance people like Vanuatu and the Solomon Islands. It usually darkens but sometimes this is retained in adulthood. But they think they are different mutations, and are not really sure what the advantage of blonde or reddish brown hair in a tropical population might be. It seems rather a quirk, since blonde hair itself is almost unknown in most of the world.
I agree about blondism but my understanding is that most human hair is basically just shades of brown and that black hair is really just very dark brown. Eumelanin is the chemical that is responsible for this and it is responsible for color in the brown to black range, including blondism. It would be interesting to see how many people who are said to have black hair in Asia actually just have very dark brown hair.

The clue for me is that many times when I look at pictures of dark south Asian types they often have brown hair. Including those in the pacific. Which means that these colors have always been there since a very long time ago.
 
Old 02-25-2014, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,241,785 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyFox View Post
I agree about blondism but my understanding is that most human hair is basically just shades of brown and that black hair is really just very dark brown. Eumelanin is the chemical that is responsible for this and it is responsible for color in the brown to black range, including blondism. It would be interesting to see how many people who are said to have black hair in Asia actually just have very dark brown hair.

The clue for me is that many times when I look at pictures of dark south Asian types they often have brown hair. Including those in the pacific. Which means that these colors have always been there since a very long time ago.
Well blonde is a different thing from dark brown. It's a specific gene that controls for blondness. Originally, it was believed all human beings had dark hair and dark eyes, dark brown/black and brown usually. Most people with black hair truly do seem to have black hair - although they often look reddish in the sun. I have seen adult Asians though with very dark brown or reddish hair which I don't believe was dyed but knowing how prevalent dyeing is it's hard to know.
 
Old 02-27-2014, 03:35 AM
 
8 posts, read 24,660 times
Reputation: 12
I am Vietnamese but my natural hair color is closer to dark brown than black, especially in the sun.
 
Old 02-27-2014, 05:45 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,241,785 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorNeptune View Post
I am Vietnamese but my natural hair color is closer to dark brown than black, especially in the sun.
Interesting. Most Viets seem to have jet black hair.
 
Old 02-27-2014, 06:29 AM
 
Location: West Jakarta + Tangerang
376 posts, read 743,056 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyFox View Post
I agree.

All human features including hair color come from the aboriginal populations that settled the planet. Therefore, blonde hair is not a "European" trait. It is just that populations in Europe have some of the highest incidences of this trait, but that doesn't mean that the trait itself originated among European populations. Therefore, blonde hair, brown or reddish hair is something found among many indigenous "aboriginal" Asian groups from Central Asia, India, South East Asia and the Pacific and has absolutely nothing to do with European genes. And when I say aboriginal, I don't mean negrito necessarily either because all aborigines don't just have curly hair, just like in India and Australia. The occurrence of any human feature is the result of genetic drift and natural selection which will cause certain traits to be turned on or off in the genetic code over time. Hence people as far as possible from Europe in the Pacific have blonde hair.
agree with you:
there are 2 things people have Asians hair color red / blonde
1. hair coloring
2. Exposed to sunlight, especially live near the coast
Blonde hair certainly be very beautiful and generally only on the people of European or Usa, because it fits perfectly with the skin and eyes their color.
I think this is a good example of one little boy of mixed ancestry White , he has a distinctive European hair if he was among 90 Indonesian children who all have black hair, surely everyone will pay attention to this child than the 90 other children, and some people will run pinched the child cheek and took pictures together.
 
Old 02-28-2014, 08:57 AM
 
8 posts, read 24,660 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Interesting. Most Viets seem to have jet black hair.

Yeah. I colored my hair black before. It faded and I left it alone.
I have a natural wave to my hair too. I have to use a straightener on my hair.
 
Old 02-28-2014, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,241,785 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorNeptune View Post
Yeah. I colored my hair black before. It faded and I left it alone.
I have a natural wave to my hair too. I have to use a straightener on my hair.
Why, wavy hair looks great on Asian or any women I think...if I had wavy hair I'd embrace it lol. My sister kind of has wavy hair.
 
Old 02-28-2014, 10:58 PM
 
8 posts, read 24,660 times
Reputation: 12
Lol, I think I look Mexican with wavy hair.
 
Old 03-01-2014, 01:21 AM
 
Location: Brisbane
3,517 posts, read 5,458,888 times
Reputation: 2828
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
hmmm half koreans tend to end up mexican looking IMO

well most half asians tend to...
Yep our daughter is half Korean but looks totally Australian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top