U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 05:49 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times

Advertisements

I've seen a few full Korean people now, include my childhood friend, with naturally dark reddish brown hair and it got me thinking about 'unusual' hair colour/types in East and Southeast Asia. His mother used to babysit my sister and I and I remember it being this reddish colour even when he was very young, maybe 4 or 5. It was only when I went through his FB album, which had pics of him at that age, that I thought about it. I saw another Korean guy today with the same sort of hair, and I don't think it's dyed. I've met quite a few Koreans from Korea and not one of them have dyed their hair, although Japanese seem to do it much more commonly.

Also I visited a Hmong school in hilly northern part of Vietnam...some of the children had distinctly dark brown hair. If you know Hmong they just look like Chinese people to most Westerners, and weirdly I didn't see any adults with this colour, just children.

I've yet to meet a Chinese, Japanese or Vietnamese person with naturally brown or slightly reddish hair though, that I know of. My guess is the reddish hue comes from the Altaic-Central Asian phenotypes, which are probably most common in North Asians (Asian Russia), then Korea, Western China, Mongolia, Tibet. Mongolia in fact has people who look 'Mongoloid' but have brownish, reddish or even blondish hair, and light eyes, blue, green.etc. The Uyghars of Western China and Kazakhs also have this feature.

I've also noticed variations in hair type. The majority of East Asians have pretty straight hair, but quite a few have very wavy or even curly hair. Again it seems Koreans tend to have this, although it's VERY common for Korean women to perm/curl their hair. Yet I do know Koreans who naturally just have hair like that, i believe the late Kim Jong Il is an example. Quite a few Japanese and Chinese people also have wavy/slightly curly hair. Southern Chinese and Vietnamese a bit less so, although southern Vietnam again has more examples because of the Austronesian admixture.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:10 AM

111 posts, read 240,798 times
I've never seen an East Asian with a natural reddish tint or shade in my life! And I'm from Japan. I know some though with medium to dark brown tints. I'm Japanese and have a natural jet black hair. But my hair is naturally wavy. It grows out straight then turns wavy towards the end.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:48 PM

564 posts, read 1,186,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
I've never seen an East Asian with a natural reddish tint or shade in my life! And I'm from Japan. I know some though with medium to dark brown tints. I'm Japanese and have a natural jet black hair. But my hair is naturally wavy. It grows out straight then turns wavy towards the end.
Same here but I'm Korean. Starting from the scalp by hair looks basically straight for about 3-4 inches, then it goes into this unkempt poofy wavy mess.

I'm 100% Korean as far as I know. Korea has been overrun by many waves of conquerors and barbarians from Central Asia, so you never know.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:40 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've seen a few full Korean people now, include my childhood friend, with naturally dark reddish brown hair and it got me thinking about 'unusual' hair colour/types in East and Southeast Asia.
I lived in Korea for 7-8 years, and never saw that before.

I have known MANY foreigners who've married Koreans and had kids, and oddly, the mass majority of the time, the kids look very Korean.

Unlike kids I've seen who are half Filipino or half Japanese, and look to be half. Something about Koreans, they just seldom ever look half, they just look Korean.

So, my guess is that that particular friend probably has some Australian/European blood in his bloodline. While he probably looks fully Korean, except for the hair, that's probably the one indication he's actually mixed.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:40 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

I have known MANY foreigners who've married Koreans and had kids, and oddly, the mass majority of the time, the kids look very Korean.

Unlike kids I've seen who are half Filipino or half Japanese, and look to be half. Something about Koreans, they just seldom ever look half, they just look Korean.

So, my guess is that that particular friend probably has some Australian/European blood in his bloodline. While he probably looks fully Korean, except for the hair, that's probably the one indication he's actually mixed.
No both of his parents are full-blooded South Koreans from South Korea. i've met them before. Trust me, he looks 100% Korean. I would post pics but of course he's not me so I can't just post his pic on here. Recently, in Singapore, I saw a Korean girl who also had distinctly dark brown hair. She was about maybe 9 or 10 so I highly doubt she'd have dyed it. I think this trait is more common among Altaic type Asians: Siberians, Koreans, Mongolians, and even among them tends to darken into black as they reach adulthood, so it might not be easy to spot.

I also had a classmate who had a Korean grandfather (his last name was 'Kim') but was, I believe 3/4 European. He had blue eyes but you could still see the Korean in him.

Jackie & Julie Kim / Ta Bom Food Truck

These girls are half Korean (and pretty cute too I might add lol) and I reckon they look it too.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:04 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,324,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

hmmm half koreans tend to end up mexican looking IMO

well most half asians tend to...

Old 12-17-2012, 09:03 AM

607 posts, read 2,072,977 times
All the asians I've met have been very black haired with straight hair. And I've met koreans, japanese and chinese.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:31 AM

1,953 posts, read 5,201,777 times
Ive seen some people that resemble Koreans with reddish hair but they speak Russian

Old 12-17-2012, 12:35 PM

607 posts, read 2,072,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
Ive seen some people that resemble Koreans with reddish hair but they speak Russian
probably central asians, but they certainly do have caucasian genes. East asians have always thick jet and straight black hair.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:13 PM

564 posts, read 1,186,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
hmmm half koreans tend to end up mexican looking IMO

well most half asians tend to...
That's certainly true. My both my sisters married white guys and people come up to their kids speaking Spanish all the time. None them could pass for full Korean by a long shot. In fact, two of them have very light brown hair and look almost totally white. The other two look more Latino.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or