U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:46 PM

12,564 posts, read 15,036,884 times

Advertisements

I agree with you that Thai food is great and the food in BKK is delicious. I have eaten sushi, Chinese and western food while in BKK and enjoyed it all.

Just my observation about males and groups of males traveling there, though (in relation to the sex trade).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The majority of travellers both male and female who go to Bangkok do not go in for the sex tourism. Bangkok isn't that great, the temples are kind of cool from an architectural standpoint, the food is good, but that's about it. Not that interested in shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 10:56 AM

681 posts, read 1,394,076 times
Quote:
The majority of travellers both male and female who go to Bangkok do not go in for the sex tourism. Bangkok isn't that great, the temples are kind of cool from an architectural standpoint, the food is good, but that's about it. Not that interested in shopping.
For the outdoor adventurer there is a lot to do in Thailand, maybe not in Bangkok, but in the outside provinces. When my American friends came to Thailand for my wedding, they had a blast hiking, zip-lining and water rafting up in Chang Mai....not to mention the many beautiful beach resorts that we have that either cater more towards couples on their honeymoon, or young people looking to get drunk and party.

As for Bangkok....its a huge city with a population the size of NYC's population. What else can one do there?
shopping, dining, visiting the ancient temples, night clubbing etc....other than that go for the cultural experience.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
It's not all sex tourism...

I'd say because of the beaches, hospitality of the people, culture, the fact that until recently it was impossible to visit Vietnam or Myanmar. Malaysia is also quite popular.
This is true. Now that Vietnam and Myanmar is open for tourism, its definitely gonna steal some business from Thailand.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Your post is kind of the equivelant to, 'there is nothing to do in New York but score some coke and find a hooker'. Maybe for SOME, but most don't go to NYC for that purpose.

For 'backback travelers' or 'tourists', you'll see milllions of western FAMILIES (with their little kids), western WOMEN (traveling solo or with friends), and western men as well....all traveling around in Asia....either long-term or short-term. If a person is interested in travel, Thailand has an extremely rich culture, at a low price, with a ton of other countries all around it to visit and backpack as well.
Good post!

I agree that Thailand has a lot to offer for travelers looking to experience new culture on a budget. The reason why Europeans and Americans like to go to Thailand is because the US Dollar, Euro, and GBP goes very far there. Its not that expensive to have a good time on a budget....which is something us Americans & Europeans can't really do in our home countries, unless you were uber rich.

I for one by American standards am not rich, but every time I go back to Thailand with my US dollars, I feel like a millionaire, and often treat friends and family to nice meals!

Old 10-04-2012, 11:09 AM

111 posts, read 240,798 times
Quote:
Actually, they have extremely tough laws for pedophiles. Most western countries have laws that can extradite pedophiles back to face prosecution.

I.E. The famous 'Gary Glitter' case....English Rock Star who was a pedophile in Cambodia. There was another while I was teaching in Korea. Some Canadian pedophile who was briefly teaching in Korea, but was posting photos online about his Thailand 'boys'. Interpol (International Police) did a quick international manhunt and he's sitting in a Canadian prison.

In short, pedophiles aren't tolerated whatsoever, anywhere. Not saying they don't try, you can look at any country anywhere, and find people getting busted for it. But they are being busted for it.
I didn't say they are untolerated. My point is, pedophiles have easier access due to rampant child prostitution in those countries.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:42 AM

8,565 posts, read 11,062,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
I didn't say they are untolerated. My point is, pedophiles have easier access due to rampant POVERTY in those countries.
Let me fix that for you.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:23 AM

2,735 posts, read 3,266,765 times
Quote:
Your post is kind of the equivelant to, 'there is nothing to do in New York but score some coke and find a hooker'. Maybe for SOME, but most don't go to NYC for that purpose.
. . .and those are two great reasons to visit New York?

(Just kidding! Couldn't help myself!)

Old 10-07-2012, 09:17 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,109,166 times
Thailand is an excellent spot for backpackers. Exotic, foreign and inexpensive compared to Western Europe and places like Japan, Australia, NYC etc.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:20 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,578,649 times
1) Thailand offers an experience the Westerners usually won't find in their homeland.

2) The Thai government are masters in the art of promoting their country!

Old 10-10-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
1) Thailand offers an experience the Westerners usually won't find in their homeland.

2) The Thai government are masters in the art of promoting their country!
And ripping off their people as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia