U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 02:49 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,819,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
Are you Thai or of Asian descent by any chance? Just curious

What do you mean by "I need more guns and gods in my life" ?
Nope, western.
Oops, I meant to wrrite: I don't need more guns and gods in my life.
The US is way too wacked for my taste.

I feel very lucky to have found the place where my heart lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 03:37 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,708,360 times
Quote:
That's cool! I'm wishing you a fantastic time there!

I love Thailand and envision myself spending at least 4-5 months there at a time when I am retired, just like my parents do. But I do easily get homesick and want to come back to the USA....In my heart the US is my primary home, Thailand is secondary.
Yea Thailand is beautiful, but i could never give up living here in MN for Thailand lol. I really like the natural scenery in Thailand though.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:39 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,752,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
i don't. i find such statements to be highly offensive. thailand is not a destination country for pedophiles, and even if a few do come, thailand has stricter laws and enforcement on this sort of things than most countries. these western do-gooder scumbags who like to perpetuate this myth should get their own houses in order. i mean most of the ppl on this forum who are spreading this nonsense are from the US for G-ds sake! the US of all places. jeez, look i the mirror.
With all due respect...if I offended you or anyone else on this thread, I certainly apologise. That being said, as Shakespeare in Henry IV, part 2 said, don't shoot the messenger. The facts are still the facts, everywhere in the world, yes, in the U.S. as well.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 10-23-2012, 07:26 PM

681 posts, read 1,394,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbs01 View Post
Thailand is a one of the most beautiful country in the world.its natural beauty is so attractive.Bankok is the capital of Thailand and it is a great tourist city in thailand
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Nope, western.
Oops, I meant to wrrite: I don't need more guns and gods in my life.

The US is way too wacked for my taste.

I feel very lucky to have found the place where my heart lives.
That's great! I'm very happy for you and that you have chosen Thailand out of all places!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yea Thailand is beautiful, but i could never give up living here in MN for Thailand lol. I really like the natural scenery in Thailand though.
There are many things I would miss about the USA if I moved to Thailand, they are:

1) Open minded culture and diversity of the USA
2) Weather. Thailand can get crazy hot at times and at times I can handle it but at times, I appreciate the cool weather of the Northeastern USA.
3) Traffic and road conditions. Bangkok roads and traffic are horrible. Road conditions out in the provinces aren't all that better unless you drive on a main highway leading out of town. As an automotive enthusiast, I like the highways and roads here in the US better, plus need to be near a racetrack.
4) overall sense of freedom
5) I have more freedom to pursue my hobbies in the USA whereas in Thailand its more of a hassle

Things I miss about Thailand:

1) Low cost of living for food and housing
2) Authentic Thai food. I don't like how Thai's cook American food, or try to cook food from other countries lol..
3) The Malls, and outdoor markets, and just shopping in general.
4) The MRT and BTS public transportation systems....far nicer than the NYC subways and buses
5) My friends and family
6) All the historical landmarks, natural beauty
7) The beaches
8) How everywhere you go in Bangkok, you seem to see exotic cars on a regular basis and wonder why?
9) interacting with the local population. There is something unique and special about Thai's that I don't find in other Asians.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:18 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,819,132 times
Quote:
Agreed!

That's great! I'm very happy for you and that you have chosen Thailand out of all places!

There are many things I would miss about the USA if I moved to Thailand, they are:

1) Open minded culture and diversity of the USA
2) Weather. Thailand can get crazy hot at times and at times I can handle it but at times, I appreciate the cool weather of the Northeastern USA.
3) Traffic and road conditions. Bangkok roads and traffic are horrible. Road conditions out in the provinces aren't all that better unless you drive on a main highway leading out of town. As an automotive enthusiast, I like the highways and roads here in the US better, plus need to be near a racetrack.
4) overall sense of freedom
5) I have more freedom to pursue my hobbies in the USA whereas in Thailand its more of a hassle

Things I miss about Thailand:

1) Low cost of living for food and housing
2) Authentic Thai food. I don't like how Thai's cook American food, or try to cook food from other countries lol..
3) The Malls, and outdoor markets, and just shopping in general.
4) The MRT and BTS public transportation systems....far nicer than the NYC subways and buses
5) My friends and family
6) All the historical landmarks, natural beauty
7) The beaches
8) How everywhere you go in Bangkok, you seem to see exotic cars on a regular basis and wonder why?
9) interacting with the local population. There is something unique and special about Thai's that I don't find in other Asians.
I don't find the US to be very open minded. I prefer the mail ben lai attitude.

I think a lot of our (meaning all people) view of the world stems from our cultural background.
We see the limitations of our own cultures while neglecting to see the same limitations in other cultures.

And Thailand is not all BKK. Any major city will have the same problems.
I don't much like the pollution in Thailand, though.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:45 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Because Thai restaurants have learned how to make Banana Pancakes.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't find the US to be very open minded. I prefer the mail ben lai attitude.

I think a lot of our (meaning all people) view of the world stems from our cultural background.
We see the limitations of our own cultures while neglecting to see the same limitations in other cultures.

And Thailand is not all BKK. Any major city will have the same problems.
I don't much like the pollution in Thailand, though.
I agree with you as well on the pollution aspect. I also want to add on top of that the noise of the city, the overcrowding, and the fact that street vendors practically take up every inch of sidewalk in Bangkok, which makes it all the more harder for pedestrians to pass with ease. On top of that you have to watch out for the occasional motorcyclist who'd rather drive on the sidewalk and buzz you rather than riding in the street with the rest of traffic. All too many times I have nearly gotten hit or run off the road by these guys.

My other complaint about bangkok is the poor sewage systems in many residential neighborhoods and business districts. On a nice sweltering hot day, just walk by any storm drain and hold your breath!!!

The Mai pen rai attitude of Thai people can only get you so far. Not so, when my car gets buzzed in a tiny soi leaving me with scratches alongside my car, or a cracked side view mirror when the other driver says
Mai pen rai...

Or when a taxi driver shortchanges you because he doesn't have enough change and says Mai pen rai....

I can give other examples but I won't lol. My mother who was born and raised in Thailand has had her thinking evolve a whole lot after living in the USA for the past 35+ years. And the Mai pen rai thing is a pet peeve for the both of us to an extent...

Old 10-24-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Because Thai restaurants have learned how to make Banana Pancakes.
Lol...one of my pet peeves is the extremely small portions of food there when you order american breakfast. I almost have to order two orders in order to get full

Old 10-25-2012, 11:15 PM

223 posts, read 430,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieGermany View Post
I am travelling to Thailand ( Phuket) quiet often because my parents in law live there for 9 to 10 months every year since 5 years now.

It is horrible to see the beautiful young girls with the (sometimes) VERY old western men. Fat and drunk (often). Reason is simple - like everywhere else in the world -: It is the easiest way for them to OVERLIVE. They feed the whole family with the 1000 Baht they get for a overnight date. ( But i heard that depends on the area - Pattaya would be cheaper as Phuket) I am not against prostitution as long as the girls do it for themselves and not for a pimp. Most men i saw with thai women would not have ANY chance to get a women in "real life" ( for example in Germany).

And it is not very difficult to find a match for the night as a single man in Thailand. Just walk down the street in the "well known" areas like Patong. Question is like : How many tonight - do i take 1 or 2 or 3?
May I ask what makes you an authority on the proper age differences between consenting adults?

I will agree that my girlfriends in Thailand have been about 4 points ahead of the ones I've had here in the States (on a 1-10) scale. Throw in the fact that there are a lot of highly educated ladies, who are very datable as well. I know a girl named "Pum Pui" (means fat) that would qualify as a runway model in most of the US. Turns out, she was just a big baby, and the name stuck. Most of the girls working at the 7-11s would be head turners at any singles bar in the States. Obesity is the exception, not the rule.
I used to have a house in Chiang Mai and I said many times that it seemed like it was a factory of beautiful ladies.

As far as the pedophilia. I don't think anyone, who lives near a Catholic Church should be commenting on the problem in Thailand, which has very strict laws on this matter. How come Mexico gets off the hook so easily on this matter? Age of consent 12?

But, forget about the rice queens for a moment. The simple fact that GDP growth is at 7% in Thailand and much closer to zero in the US makes BKK a super happening place. They are net exporters of food. People eat very well there. Healthcare is affordable and excellent, as well. So for a single man, say 55, who could be spending 1000 per month on health insurance, and another 500 in property taxes per month in the States, could go over there and live better with better healthcare for just that 1500 per month.............Can you blame them. I've never paid more than 1070 RT, and if you can get 65,000 miles, the ticket is less than 100 bucks, but yes it is really far, that's why you want to stay at least a month.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutyotsuk View Post
May I ask what makes you an authority on the proper age differences between consenting adults?

I will agree that my girlfriends in Thailand have been about 4 points ahead of the ones I've had here in the States (on a 1-10) scale. Throw in the fact that there are a lot of highly educated ladies, who are very datable as well. I know a girl named "Pum Pui" (means fat) that would qualify as a runway model in most of the US. Turns out, she was just a big baby, and the name stuck. Most of the girls working at the 7-11s would be head turners at any singles bar in the States. Obesity is the exception, not the rule.
I used to have a house in Chiang Mai and I said many times that it seemed like it was a factory of beautiful ladies.

As far as the pedophilia. I don't think anyone, who lives near a Catholic Church should be commenting on the problem in Thailand, which has very strict laws on this matter. How come Mexico gets off the hook so easily on this matter? Age of consent 12?

But, forget about the rice queens for a moment. The simple fact that GDP growth is at 7% in Thailand and much closer to zero in the US makes BKK a super happening place. They are net exporters of food. People eat very well there. Healthcare is affordable and excellent, as well. So for a single man, say 55, who could be spending 1000 per month on health insurance, and another 500 in property taxes per month in the States, could go over there and live better with better healthcare for just that 1500 per month.............Can you blame them. I've never paid more than 1070 RT, and if you can get 65,000 miles, the ticket is less than 100 bucks, but yes it is really far, that's why you want to stay at least a month.
Excellent post!

I agree with your points. I never really looked at the girls at 7-11 as head turners as many of them are lady boys. gotta look with a discerning eye lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia