U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 04:49 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,833,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
I agree with you as well on the pollution aspect. I also want to add on top of that the noise of the city, the overcrowding, and the fact that street vendors practically take up every inch of sidewalk in Bangkok, which makes it all the more harder for pedestrians to pass with ease. On top of that you have to watch out for the occasional motorcyclist who'd rather drive on the sidewalk and buzz you rather than riding in the street with the rest of traffic. All too many times I have nearly gotten hit or run off the road by these guys.

My other complaint about bangkok is the poor sewage systems in many residential neighborhoods and business districts. On a nice sweltering hot day, just walk by any storm drain and hold your breath!!!

The Mai pen rai attitude of Thai people can only get you so far. Not so, when my car gets buzzed in a tiny soi leaving me with scratches alongside my car, or a cracked side view mirror when the other driver says
Mai pen rai...

Or when a taxi driver shortchanges you because he doesn't have enough change and says Mai pen rai....

I can give other examples but I won't lol. My mother who was born and raised in Thailand has had her thinking evolve a whole lot after living in the USA for the past 35+ years. And the Mai pen rai thing is a pet peeve for the both of us to an extent...
Oh, I almost forgot about the damned motorcycles on the sidewalk. I hate that more than anything. I only see in in Bangkok, though.

I love Wat Phra Keo, Wat Po, Wat Benjamabophit (with its carrera marble). I've been to Waht Phra Keo at least a dozen times and never get bored. I thoroughly enjoy the murals of the Ramakien.
I enjoy taking new people to cultural events, like seeing traditional dance and theatre.
I even enjoy walking down Khao San Road (once) while I'm there for a great coffee vendor and a marvelous place to get fruit shakes, I'm particularly enamored with lamut shakes (mai naam tan). The hint of cinnamon sucks me in every time.

I love my coffee vendor for my caffee yen in the morning and chai yen in the afternoon.
I love the buddhist veggie restaurant across the street and behind a building from the chatuchak; the farmers market at the chatuchak (across the street the other way).
I love the night train from BKK to Chiang Mai.

I love Phisanalok, Kampheng Phet, Tak and Sukhotai; the hot springs where people boil eggs.

I get confused in my feeling about using Burmese women in the Mai Hong Song area as Long Neck Karen. Sad that the women are exploited, happy to see the tribal culture continue.

In the north, Wat U Mong on the outskirts; the 50+ veggie restaurants; northern style massage; acupuncture; hanging out at the hash bar with the CM hash house harriers. I like the Worowat market, wonderful flower market and fruit market.
Dichan chap polomai. Chap phak mak mak, kha.

I get all of my medical done in Thailand.
My dentist and primary care doctor are there.
Complete physical with blood work, stress test, cancer screening, eyes, etc. for no more than $250 (with a bad exchange rate).
Don't forget Thai massage, get at least 90 minute massages, not hot oil, traditional massage.
I prefer the northern style.

25 types of bananas. Kampheng Phet has a kluay khai queen.

I'm homesick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,041 times
Very advance sex tourism development, What else western men can do in Thailand ?

Old 08-14-2015, 09:57 AM

4,668 posts, read 6,116,267 times
Bump an old thread just to repeat something that's already been said. Brilliant.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:19 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,342,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince vecoco View Post
Very advance sex tourism development, What else western men can do in Thailand ?
Well, I'm a western man and I've been to Thailand four times and I do not go there for sex.

Believe it or not, many of us are interested in Thai history and culture. I enjoy photographing the old Siamese Buddhist architecture of the many wats, or temples, over there. Many of us visit the Thai Buddhist centers to take courses on meditation. There are some outstanding museums throughout the country. Archeological and historical sights such as Sukhothai and Ayutthaya are outstanding tourist attractions. Shopping is fantastic in Thailand, especially for some luxury items like gemstones and silk.

Beaches, watersports, great restaurants and culinary adventures, nightlife and folklore also make for a great vacation.

Of course all you younger guys have sex on the brain so that's what you want to talk about. May I suggest that some Latin countries like Cuba, the Dominican Republican, Brazil, Venezuela, Costa Rica and Colombia also have very diverse and well developed sex tourism scenes. I can tell you about orgy venues and sex clubs in Rio, during Carnival and every other time as well.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:45 PM

1,424 posts, read 735,908 times
Besides sex etc., I find westerners are obsessed with sunshine and warm weather.
while Asian people avoid sun light as much as possible, westerners do the opposite.

Most Europeans and Americans like to go to warm places, but I have never been a fan of tropical places.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:55 AM

306 posts, read 440,061 times
I'd rather be tropical than freeze to death.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:57 AM

1,424 posts, read 735,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsa71 View Post
I'd rather be tropical than freeze to death.
There are many places in between.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:26 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,371,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Besides sex etc., I find westerners are obsessed with sunshine and warm weather.
while Asian people avoid sun light as much as possible, westerners do the opposite.

Most Europeans and Americans like to go to warm places, but I have never been a fan of tropical places.
The last time I checked, Thais were considered Asian. I doubt most of them would prefer the temperate zone over their tropical home.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:06 PM

722 posts, read 922,773 times
Default cheap sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince vecoco View Post
probably for the cheap sex? a former military man told me the women were so poor, he would buy a bag of peaches at the BX and they would have sex with him for a bag of peaches.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:26 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,387,859 times
The sex trade involving Western men has been going on since the 1960's during Vietnam when the US locate several airbases in Thailand to bomb the communists. You have a flawed economic system in Thailand where a large number of people lived near the poverty line while the elites control much of the county's wealth.

The result in regards to some Thai women is sexploitation. No other economic opportunities rather than to trade sexual favors for cash. This kind of situation occurs all over the world aided and abetted by affluent men from abroad with money in their pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia