Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:27 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Well, from pictures I've seen, Bangkok looks like a royal mess. I would become emaciated from not eating for the duration of the trip. And I'm not interested in seeing these geeky comb-over types chasing young Thai chicks. This westerner is not interested. No one I know wants to go to Thailand. Everyone I know wants to keep going back to Europe.
We get it, you're not a fan of Far East, which is fair enough, we all have our preferences, but many people are genuinely interested in Asian culture and don't just go there for the chicks or the cheap booze or to lay on the beach all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 10:25 AM

633 posts, read 1,734,707 times
I am travelling to Thailand ( Phuket) quiet often because my parents in law live there for 9 to 10 months every year since 5 years now.

It is horrible to see the beautiful young girls with the (sometimes) VERY old western men. Fat and drunk (often). Reason is simple - like everywhere else in the world -: It is the easiest way for them to OVERLIVE. They feed the whole family with the 1000 Baht they get for a overnight date. ( But i heard that depends on the area - Pattaya would be cheaper as Phuket) I am not against prostitution as long as the girls do it for themselves and not for a pimp. Most men i saw with thai women would not have ANY chance to get a women in "real life" ( for example in Germany).

And it is not very difficult to find a match for the night as a single man in Thailand. Just walk down the street in the "well known" areas like Patong. Question is like : How many tonight - do i take 1 or 2 or 3?

Old 10-18-2012, 09:48 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Well, from pictures I've seen, Bangkok looks like a royal mess. I would become emaciated from not eating for the duration of the trip. And I'm not interested in seeing these geeky comb-over types chasing young Thai chicks. This westerner is not interested. No one I know wants to go to Thailand. Everyone I know wants to keep going back to Europe.
You've been lost at this forum for a while now...i can make it easier for you...just click on this link and you'll be in the right place again.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/europe/

Old 10-19-2012, 03:02 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I have been to Bangkok, but believe that it is overrated. Nothing against the Thai people, they are generally friendly and kind. As a tourist, there is only one reason that I can think of why male tourists would go there.
I find it telling that people go straight to the sex trade; there's a booming sex trade in every country, even your own.
I've been to Thailand 22 times and am going this year, again, for 6 weeks.
I don't even notice the sex trade.
I'm there for cultural and other interests.

If you want to find sex trade, you'll find it everywhere.
If you don't want to see it, you won't.

Last edited by chielgirl; 10-19-2012 at 03:14 AM..

Old 10-19-2012, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieGermany View Post
I am travelling to Thailand ( Phuket) quiet often because my parents in law live there for 9 to 10 months every year since 5 years now.

It is horrible to see the beautiful young girls with the (sometimes) VERY old western men. Fat and drunk (often). Reason is simple - like everywhere else in the world -: It is the easiest way for them to OVERLIVE. They feed the whole family with the 1000 Baht they get for a overnight date. ( But i heard that depends on the area - Pattaya would be cheaper as Phuket) I am not against prostitution as long as the girls do it for themselves and not for a pimp. Most men i saw with thai women would not have ANY chance to get a women in "real life" ( for example in Germany).

And it is not very difficult to find a match for the night as a single man in Thailand. Just walk down the street in the "well known" areas like Patong. Question is like : How many tonight - do i take 1 or 2 or 3?
Overlive?

Old 10-19-2012, 05:17 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
Most men i saw with thai women would not have ANY chance to get a women in "real life" ( for example in Germany).

They probably would have a chance if they didn't have so high expectations (a pretty slim chick who would be their daughter). There are plenty lonely middle aged women , maybe a bit overweight and not in their "prime" . But most older guys are not interested. It's a cultural thing, and I believe it's very unhealthy.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:35 AM

681 posts, read 1,671,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I find it telling that people go straight to the sex trade; there's a booming sex trade in every country, even your own.
I've been to Thailand 22 times and am going this year, again, for 6 weeks.
I don't even notice the sex trade.
I'm there for cultural and other interests.

If you want to find sex trade, you'll find it everywhere.
If you don't want to see it, you won't.
What do you plan to do there for six weeks?

As a Thai-American with relatives that live in Thailand, and a Thai wife who moed with me to the US recently, I easily can get bored there after 3 weeks lol....and I go like once a year!

Old 10-20-2012, 06:13 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,605,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieGermany View Post

It is horrible to see the beautiful young girls with the (sometimes) VERY old western men. Fat and drunk (often). Reason is simple - like everywhere else in the world -: It is the easiest way for them to OVERLIVE. They feed the whole family with the 1000 Baht they get for a overnight date. ( But i heard that depends on the area - Pattaya would be cheaper as Phuket)
the "beautiful young girls" you're so concerned about actually make quite a bit more than 1000b per pop. they're more likely to work in gogo bars, where their salaries are slightly higher (7000-10000b/month). make a commission on every ladydrink (~5000b/month) make 2000b for shorttime or 3000-4000b for LT everytime they get barfined(and even more if the customer is east asian), generally have sponsors who send them money every month, and also make money on the side via regulars and in discos. most of them are clearing over 100,000b/month, and many over 200,000b/month. im friends with plenty who drive 1 million baht + cars paid for by idiot sponsors. theres a lot more money being exchanged than you seem to realize. the explosion of military contractor work, and offshore work, and related stuff has caused a massive influx of money into these sorts of places.

the older girls who are working in beer bars are are the ones only getting 1000b for long time. they seem content with only making 12-15k/month tho. better than working hard for half that back home in isan i guess.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
What do you plan to do there for six weeks?

As a Thai-American with relatives that live in Thailand, and a Thai wife who moed with me to the US recently, I easily can get bored there after 3 weeks lol....and I go like once a year!
I'll be diving, hanging out in the north, spending some time in a hilltribe village where I have friends.
Seeing family and friends.
Go to my doctor and dentist.
Might pop over to Burma for a few days.

I don't think 6 weeks is enough time.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:54 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,585,521 times
I know many Scandinavians visiting Thailand. They love their service and beautiful beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia