U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 08:19 AM

788 posts, read 1,600,878 times

Advertisements

Depends on what the emphasis of your trip is.

Considering that you will be based in Hong Kong, I recommend the Philippines because:
- Not touristy at all. (uncommon to find foreigners....)
- CHEAP. People have no idea how cheap the Philippines can be. I'm talking $5 1 hour body massages and they come to your place.
- English is probably the best in Asia (besides Singapore/HK)
- Filipinos are very hospitable to foreigners
- Some of the best beaches in the world
- Short flight to HK (i've seen rt airfare on Cebu Pacific as low as $100 USD)

I personally really liked Malaysia too. It was a good break from the tourist hubs of Singapore and Thailand. The country is beautiful and the people speak better English than Thais. Plus, it's a pretty unique country due to its development, religion, politics, and food. I found Malaysia to be less expensive than Thailand because locals weren't in the business to rip off foreigners. The food was also delicious!

I've never been to Taiwan, but I have heard only positive reviews of the country. AMAZING food and culture, and it's relatively inexpensive for a developed country. Also, the flight to HK is only 2 hours are hovers around $215 rt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 03:52 PM

351 posts, read 558,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post

Considering that you will be based in Hong Kong, I recommend the Philippines because:
- CHEAP. People have no idea how cheap the Philippines can be. I'm talking $5 1 hour body massages and they come to your place.

I personally really liked Malaysia too. It was a good break from the tourist hubs of Singapore and Thailand. The country is beautiful and the people speak better English than Thais. Plus, it's a pretty unique country due to its development, religion, politics, and food. I found Malaysia to be less expensive than Thailand because locals weren't in the business to rip off foreigners. The food was also delicious!

I've never been to Taiwan, but I have heard only positive reviews of the country. AMAZING food and culture, and it's relatively inexpensive for a developed country. Also, the flight to HK is only 2 hours are hovers around $215 rt.
Couldn't agree more. If you're concerned with safety don't go too far south (no further south than Bahol). Terrorists (Al-Qaeda et al) recruit and train in the southern Philippines. Otherwise, very safe and cheap to travel and tour.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,512,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post

How safe is it for foreign tourists walking around Manila and other big cities? Can one walk around at night? That's my main concern with the Phils, but would love to go there one day.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:40 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,146,432 times
Tiger Beer...can you comment on safety in Phill for tourists since you've been there? I've hear mixed messages on that and many Filipino friends I have in the U.S. say I have to be careful if I visit. Is most of the danger in Manila? I would imagine Boracay is pretty safe.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:37 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,874,680 times
These are a lot of the best, most magnificent, and inviting places in Asia and there is plenty of options to choose from:

Thailand: Bangkok, Phuket/Southern Thailand beaches, Pattaya, Chiang Mai.

China: Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Hangzhou, Nanjing, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Harbin, Kunming, Guilin, Chinese/Tibetan Himalayas, Western China’s Tian Shan and Altai mountains, Lhasa, Dali, Lijiang, some Chinese beaches, Chengdu, Qingdao, Dalian, Shenyang, Hainan, Chongqing, Urumqi, Xi’an.

Japan: Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Nagano, Japanese Alps, Nara, Kochi, Miyazaki, Sapporo, Okinawa, Fukuoka, Nagoya.

Taiwan: Taipei, Suao-Hualien coast/Fulong/other parts of the Northern/Eastern coastline, Yushan mountains, Jiufen, Taichung, Kaohsiung.

Singapore

South Korea: Seoul, Busan, some rural mountainous/hilly/coastal areas.

Vietnam: Hanoi, Ha Long, Hoi An, Nha Trang, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnamese coastline, Sapa.

Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur, Malacca, Ipoh, Penang/Georgetown, Borneo island.

India: Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Indian Himalayas, Shimla, Srinagar, Goa, Agra, Amritsar, Kerala.

Cambodia: Phnom Penh, Siam Reap.

Bhutan

Old 11-01-2012, 08:24 AM

12 posts, read 12,926 times
I and some of my friends decided to visit in nepal in our vacation.we start our tour next week.air ticket is confarm,and everything is okay.now we collected some information in nepal..........

Old 11-01-2012, 11:05 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,412,150 times
What I would do is try to find a direct flight from HK to some city that is not a national capital, in one of the outer areas of a country like Medan (Indonesia), Cebu (Philippines), Chiang Mai (Thailand), Hanoi (Vietnam) or Fukuoka (Japan). Then, explore the country out there, well away from Jakarta, Manila, Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh or Tokyo.

It can be pretty hard to find an international flight to anywhere except capital to capital, but there is a cheap ($400) direct flight to Cebu. Local travel agents on the ground often know about ways to get places that are not known to the internet, or well obstructed by the online travel mafia. Walk into a storefront travel agent in Hong Kong, tell them your parameters, see what they can do. Here is a hypothetical list of places you can fly to from Hong Kong: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Ko...d_destinations

Dragonair looks pretty promising, they have flights that are below the radar of the internet travel mafia. Published fares are high, but local travel agents know all kinds of stuff.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-01-2012 at 11:59 AM..

Old 12-24-2012, 03:19 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,606,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Thanks Mr. Bolo. What about Malaysia? Places like Bali and Phuket seem a little too touristy. How about Korea....any thoughts on Korea?
The thing about Bali is that you can be as low-key or gregarious, expensive or cheap, as you wish, while still always surrounded by great beauty and hospitality, in an endlessly fascinating and complex culture. And generally speaking the farther north of Kuta, and even artist-friendly Ubud, that you go, the less crowded and more affordable it gets. There's a reason it's called the island of the gods, and having traveled quite a bit around Asia, it's still my favorite place, probably followed closely behind by Yogyakarta (aka, ''Joeg-jah'') in central Java.

BTW, IMO Korea has a lot of parallels with Germany, for better or worse, especially before the Berlin Wall came down. Phuket is OK if you just wanna hang out and don't care that much about the local culture (or the hundreds of ''euro gypsies''), and Malaysia's fine, if you aren't first put off by that little ''welcome sign'' usually posted at all the borders... ''Death to drug traffickers''!

Last edited by mateo45; 12-24-2012 at 03:57 PM..

Old 12-24-2012, 03:21 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,304,502 times
I'd go to Malaysia. Hands down.

Or maybe China. Or Japan...

I've been to Hong Kong Vietnam and China already, fantastic.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:28 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,676,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Tiger Beer...can you comment on safety in Phill for tourists since you've been there? I've hear mixed messages on that and many Filipino friends I have in the U.S. say I have to be careful if I visit. Is most of the danger in Manila? I would imagine Boracay is pretty safe.
Most of the Philippines is pretty safe, except for the southwestern part of the country. The only large city that is not recommended for tourists is Zamboanga City. The other major cities in Mindanao, Davao City and Cagayan de Oro City are safe. Most of Luzon and the Visayas (Cebu, Bohol, Iloilo, Bacolod) are pretty safe. Metro Manila is not that much dangerous compared to a lot of places in the US. Just leave your passport in the hotel safe, and don't bring too much cash. Pick pockets are common in crowded areas, so better carry your wallet in your front pocket. Most foreign visitors stay in Makati City or the Roxas Blvd area in Manila. Both areas are well-lit and mostly safe at night. Just use common sense. There are dangerous areas like Tondo, but then again, there's absolutely no reason why tourists should go there. Find a nicer hotel and ask advice from there. Four-star hotels in Metro Manila can be had for about US$70 to US$125 a night, Four-star hotels (city hotels, not on the beach) in Cebu can be had for about US$60 to US$100. There are decent three-star hotels for less, but don't expect outstanding quality for US$30.

Being ripped off? Just take a fixed-rate airport taxi (state your destination at the counter) if you are in Manila or take a yellow airport taxi if you are in Cebu. They are more expensive, but it's generally only PHP300 to PHP400 (less than US$10) to most destinations. If you know your way, metered taxis may save you PHP100 less (US$2.50), but save the hassle of the taxi driver asking you which way you want to go. You can also ask your hotel to get you a metered taxi to go to your destination. The hotel policy is always obey the laws and use the meter. You can also complain at the hotel as they list out the taxi license plate for whatever problems you have. Most common problem though is the taxi driver will ask if you can pay them like PHP100 fixed rate if your destination is too close and the meter only says PHP60. People sometimes make a big deal that they've been "ripped off", but it's only like US$1 more and really not worth reporting to the hotel or anyone. I've had worse experiences in other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or