U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 07:29 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I'm going to Delhi in a couple of weeks.

To my extensive reading, Delhi has an amazing geographic location within India. You're a mere couple hundred km from the lesser Himalayas, the Great Thar Desert, and easy rail connections to anywhere else. The food is also great, but there's not much in the way of charm and the weather is horrible. I'm staying in a Tibetan refugee neighbourhood (Majnu Ka Tilla) to sort of ease my way in to India. The dumplings and soups for the first few days should hopefully delay the loperamide binge ...

I am really fascinated by Kolkata, although I ultimately decided not to visit. Bengali food looks great - maybe the best regional food in India. Outside you can check out the Sunder Bans mangrovey-swamp delta to see fishing and maybe Bengal tigers. As for the city, it's supposed to be grimey, but in a cool way since it was the first station for the British, and there are still some impressive edifices left over from that. They say Bengalis are also the most welcoming and generous people of India, in general.

Mumbai, I don't know much about. There's a nice hill station nearby called Matheran. I know it's more expensive, and supposed to be the entertainment centre, but I have very little interest in it.
Indeed it is, although few New Delhi residents probably get a chance to take many vacations. Let us know your impressions of Delhi. I plan to go to India in late 2015.

Well I don't if I'd go to the Sundarbans since it has a reputation for man-eating tigers! I think a lot of it is villagers venturing where they're not supposed to...various explanations have been given for why the tigers of the Sundarbans seem to be habitual man-eaters (most tigers are not).

Old 05-11-2014, 07:49 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,115,696 times
All developing cities with yrs if not decades to go. Don't go to India to find modern cities and great infrastucture, you will not find it. Believe me. Ride the hippie train! Backpack thru India in groups for safety and for the experience. Learn about different religions, chit chat with Sadhus about logic/philiosphy, Engage with Buddhist monks and mediate in mass....smoke some hash and wake up to temple beat early morning or wake up to some great chai, some weed and the Himalayas in front of you. Explore Dharmsala, walk over to Nepal, Explore the fort and palaces of Rajasthan or visit Hampi or the Ellaro Caves, etc.

I don't recommend any women to walk by themselves anywhere in India after dark. It's a safety issue but ppl do go out and nothing happens. I just prefer to not take any risks. I would say the same goes for most countries in the developing

If anything, I have seen how an average Indian male respects women way more than he respects men. There is a lot of prejudices against India and other developing countries.

Last edited by Mistertee; 05-11-2014 at 09:05 PM..

Old 05-11-2014, 08:43 PM

45 posts, read 88,382 times
I want to visit all three cities one day because India is great influence on Thai culture but Thai people are resemble more like Northeast Asians than Indian because they came from China. Do Indians is discriminate against Thai because they is resemble Chinese people?

Old 05-11-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aromesaveur View Post
I want to visit all three cities one day because India is great influence on Thai culture but Thai people are resemble more like Northeast Asians than Indian because they came from China. Do Indians is discriminate against Thai because they is resemble Chinese people?
There aren't many Thais in India, but some Indians in cities in Thailand. I'd say if anything, East Asians tend to discriminate against South Asians than vice versa.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:06 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,115,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Indeed it is, although few New Delhi residents probably get a chance to take many vacations. Let us know your impressions of Delhi. I plan to go to India in late 2015.

Well I don't if I'd go to the Sundarbans since it has a reputation for man-eating tigers! I think a lot of it is villagers venturing where they're not supposed to...various explanations have been given for why the tigers of the Sundarbans seem to be habitual man-eaters (most tigers are not).

Check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0kzdu_wTM0

Old 05-11-2014, 09:25 PM

4,508 posts, read 3,090,953 times
Delhi was actually pretty nice. I heard it is unsafe for women though. You do need to eat at Bukhara at the ashok sheraton hotel though if you go. the food is like crack. there's also an underground shady mall that as some neat cultural stuff to buy like a sandal wood chest sets. I couldn't find that stuff anywhere else. You can visit some of the tombs however most were of islamic imperialists. I actually almost jumped by some dudes wearing man dresses and skull caps while getting my photo taken at huyaman's tomb. Luckly, the cops came by with their wooden beat down sticks and scared them away. You should also visit the gate in delhi. Also, if you in delhi, take a day trip to agra and visit the taj. I've only been to mumbai once so I don't remember much of it. they don't have a subway though. Kolkata has the nicest people, the best food, and is pretty good for shopping for gold and saris. you can also find a lot books at college. I got books on hindu mythology with sanskrit and english translations. I also bought a katar and a dagger at the curo shops. I will say this though, the northwest of india has crappier food than kolkata except for bukhara. the people are also untrustworthy or slimey. I think its because of westernization or flux of tourists. Kolkata has nicer people but its more chaotic and orderly. it still has a long way to go. Also, you should go with a group. Don't go alone. bring lots of 100 rupee notes for tipping. Get a citibank account for easy money exchange. Don't forget hand sanitizers and butt wipes.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:32 PM

4,508 posts, read 3,090,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
There aren't many Thais in India, but some Indians in cities in Thailand. I'd say if anything, East Asians tend to discriminate against South Asians than vice versa.
I'm going to have to agree with this assessment. You can see the evidence just from the red chinese nationalists on this board that ironically live in democratic western or westernized countries. There have been cases other is in the northwest sections of india of assaults on the mongoloid looking Indians. i think its the chauvinism there. I think kolkata there aren't any problems since its very close to the northeast and many bengalis have mongoloid features. ironically, Indian chinese food is one of most popular foods to eat in India.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:44 PM

Such incidents are rare elsewhere in India but seemingly common in the Sundarbans of West Bengal and Bangladesh.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Delhi was actually pretty nice. I heard it is unsafe for women though. You do need to eat at Bukhara at the ashok sheraton hotel though if you go. the food is like crack. there's also an underground shady mall that as some neat cultural stuff to buy like a sandal wood chest sets. I couldn't find that stuff anywhere else. You can visit some of the tombs however most were of islamic imperialists. I actually almost jumped by some dudes wearing man dresses and skull caps while getting my photo taken at huyaman's tomb. Luckly, the cops came by with their wooden beat down sticks and scared them away. You should also visit the gate in delhi. Also, if you in delhi, take a day trip to agra and visit the taj. I've only been to mumbai once so I don't remember much of it. they don't have a subway though. Kolkata has the nicest people, the best food, and is pretty good for shopping for gold and saris. you can also find a lot books at college. I got books on hindu mythology with sanskrit and english translations. I also bought a katar and a dagger at the curo shops. I will say this though, the northwest of india has crappier food than kolkata except for bukhara. the people are also untrustworthy or slimey. I think its because of westernization or flux of tourists. Kolkata has nicer people but its more chaotic and orderly. it still has a long way to go. Also, you should go with a group. Don't go alone. bring lots of 100 rupee notes for tipping. Get a citibank account for easy money exchange. Don't forget hand sanitizers and butt wipes.
When i visit India I definitely plan to go with a group tour.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I'm going to have to agree with this assessment. You can see the evidence just from the red chinese nationalists on this board that ironically live in democratic western or westernized countries. There have been cases other is in the northwest sections of india of assaults on the mongoloid looking Indians. i think its the chauvinism there. I think kolkata there aren't any problems since its very close to the northeast and many bengalis have mongoloid features. ironically, Indian chinese food is one of most popular foods to eat in India.
Yes, Kolkata was home to the largest Chinese community in India which is sadly dying off. I think they get along pretty well with the locals. I remember on Indian Idol there was a Chinese Indian contestant, he was pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or