U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 08:22 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,377,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Chinese Singaporeans tend to emphasise their nationality rather than their religion/race. They usually just identify themselves as Singaporeans instead of Chinese Singaporeans, unlike Chinese Malaysians, who tend to emphasize their race, probably out of the fear of losing their culture and racial unity in a Malay/Muslim-dominated country.

Indonesia has long lifted the ban on Chinese culture and languages since the fall of Suharto in the late 90s. Chinese New Year is now an official public holiday in the country. Heck, even the native Indonesian politicians employ Chinese characters on their election campaign banners!
Yes i think they feel they have more of a place in the national identity than Chinese Malaysians, who are, ironically marginalised despite being on the wealthier side.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:25 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,325,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes i think they feel they have more of a place in the national identity than Chinese Malaysians, who are, ironically marginalised despite being on the wealthier side.
I think malays are just scared they might be overtaken by the chinese...there is like a 60% chinese/Indian and 40% malay imbalance in malaysia I think

Old 02-18-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
I think malays are just scared they might be overtaken by the chinese...there is like a 60% chinese/Indian and 40% malay imbalance in malaysia I think
I think it's the other way around. About 60% Malay and 40% other. At the time of independence in 1957 I believe Chinese outnumbered Malays though. Malays have the highest birth-rate so they're increasing as a percentage.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:35 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,062,013 times
Quote:
It's actually the other way round. But the Malays do not wish to see the Chinese overtaking them in political leadership roles, especially when the larger chunk of the economic pie is already in the hands of the Chinese community.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:39 PM

2,845 posts, read 3,936,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think it's the other way around. About 60% Malay and 40% other. At the time of independence in 1957 I believe Chinese outnumbered Malays though. Malays have the highest birth-rate so they're increasing as a percentage.
At the time of independence, Singapore was included in the country Malaya, until Lee Kuan Yew pulled the Big Stink out in 1963. Thus, the Malay % jumped after 1963 simply because the Singaporean Chinese were no longer counted.

If you have an urge to read more, try Lynn Pan's book Sons of the Yellow Emperor. It is the best I have read regarding the Chinese Diaspora.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:37 PM
kyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
At the time of independence, Singapore was included in the country Malaya, until Lee Kuan Yew pulled the Big Stink out in 1963. Thus, the Malay % jumped after 1963 simply because the Singaporean Chinese were no longer counted.

If you have an urge to read more, try Lynn Pan's book Sons of the Yellow Emperor. It is the best I have read regarding the Chinese Diaspora.
Still, Chinese birthrates are among the lowest in Malaysia. Even with the addition of Singapore in Malaysia now, the total Chinese population would be approximately 10 million, compared to 15 million Malays in Malaysia alone.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 AM

2,845 posts, read 3,936,219 times
Quote:
Still, Chinese birthrates are among the lowest in Malaysia. Even with the addition of Singapore in Malaysia now, the total Chinese population would be approximately 10 million, compared to 15 million Malays in Malaysia alone.
Most Chinese families have 1-2 children; Malays 5-6. I wouldn't say that Chinese birth rates are low, but rather that Malay birth rates are high. The government will provide free education through college for up to six children per family; thus, the number 6 is what many Malay families shoot for when family planning. Clearly, it is (was, will be) the government's intent to dilute the influence of the Chinese through demographic change.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:43 AM
kyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Most Chinese families have 1-2 children; Malays 5-6. I wouldn't say that Chinese birth rates are low, but rather that Malay birth rates are high. The government will provide free education through college for up to six children per family; thus, the number 6 is what many Malay families shoot for when family planning. Clearly, it is (was, will be) the government's intent to dilute the influence of the Chinese through demographic change.
True, still the Chinese are more prone to late marriage (or none at all), and many now opt not to have kids even after marriage.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
True, still the Chinese are more prone to late marriage (or none at all), and many now opt not to have kids even after marriage.
In the Chinese speaking world, birth-rates in Taiwan and Hong Kong are about as low as China without the one child policy. They're more into their careers.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:16 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,538,252 times
Quote:
could it be due to the fact that chinese culture is the dominant culture in singapore
I don't think so, the Singaporean government has always advocated a policy of equality in regards to race and citizenship and since independence there have been no major racial tensions, Singapore was kicked out of Malaya due to the racial issues however. For better or worse the ruling PAP has always advocated the rule of an academically meritocratic elite, rather than one based on race or religion, it hasn't worked perfectly but overall Singapore has been a relative success economically. Expect this current generation to call for democratic reform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or