Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 10:19 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,995,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
I don't think so, the Singaporean government has always advocated a policy of equality in regards to race and citizenship and since independence there have been no major racial tensions, Singapore was kicked out of Malaya due to the racial issues however. For better or worse the ruling PAP has always advocated the rule of an academically meritocratic elite, rather than one based on race or religion, it hasn't worked perfectly but overall Singapore has been a relative success economically. Expect this current generation to call for democratic reform.
chinese have a dominating influence in almost every facet of singapore.....the dramas are in chinese....the food is chinese.....in fact I think singapore is a multi-ethnic/race country that revolves around chinese......just like AMerica is a multi-race country that revolves around Anglos

Old 02-19-2013, 03:31 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
A lot of the entertainment media was formerly in a Chinese language since Hong Kong, Taiwan, and to some extent China were far larger popular media producers and had more vibrant (much larger and wealthier markets) pop cultures than Malaysia, Indonesia or Tamil Nadu. Singaporean food is not really just food from China as it's a lot closer to the food of Malaysia than it is that of any region of China. Perhaps it's confusing due to Chinese cuisine having had a large influence on Southeast Asia in general.

The major newspaper is in English and so is the language of instruction.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:47 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
A lot of the entertainment media was formerly in a Chinese language since Hong Kong, Taiwan, and to some extent China were far larger popular media producers and had more vibrant (much larger and wealthier markets) pop cultures than Malaysia, Indonesia or Tamil Nadu. Singaporean food is not really just food from China as it's a lot closer to the food of Malaysia than it is that of any region of China. Perhaps it's confusing due to Chinese cuisine having had a large influence on Southeast Asia in general.

The major newspaper is in English and so is the language of instruction.
Yes I don't think it's not accurate to call most Singaporean food 'Chinese food', it's a distinct cuisine in itself.
It's more to distinguish the food developed mostly by the ethnic Chinese, although there is a lot of Malay or even Indian influence.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:47 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Brief, interesting history of the Chinese in the Philippines

A Brief History of Chinese in the Philippines - YouTube

After I watched that, I looked at the list of the top 20 wealthiest families in the Philippines.

http://www.therichest.org/nation/philippines/
15 are Chinese-descent (many were born in China), 4 are Spanish-descent, and 1 is indigenous Filipino from a very poor background. That's just crazy to me.

Last edited by Smtchll; 02-19-2013 at 11:24 PM..

Old 02-19-2013, 10:52 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times
There are Chinese in many other countries in Europe and South America for example that retain their ethnic identity...so retaining their ethnic identity in SE Asia is not that much different...

Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
There are Chinese in many other countries in Europe and South America for example that retain their ethnic identity...so retaining their ethnic identity in SE Asia is not that much different...
Not to the degree you see in SE Asia. In Malaysia, some Chinese still speak their language, for instance.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:24 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
I don't think so, the Singaporean government has always advocated a policy of equality in regards to race and citizenship and since independence there have been no major racial tensions, Singapore was kicked out of Malaya due to the racial issues however. For better or worse the ruling PAP has always advocated the rule of an academically meritocratic elite, rather than one based on race or religion, it hasn't worked perfectly but overall Singapore has been a relative success economically. Expect this current generation to call for democratic reform.
Singapore was not kicked out of Malaya; Lee Kuan Yew pulled Singapore out because he knew that he could never be the dictator when UMNO was set to be dictator. Still, under LKY's somewhat benign dictatorship, Singapore has progressed much farther than Malaysia has under the UMNO dictatorship.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:37 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Singapore was not kicked out of Malaya; Lee Kuan Yew pulled Singapore out because he knew that he could never be the dictator when UMNO was set to be dictator. Still, under LKY's somewhat benign dictatorship, Singapore has progressed much farther than Malaysia has under the UMNO dictatorship.
Singapore was expelled from Malaysia:

"On August 7, 1965, Prime Minister Tunku Abdul Rahman, seeing no alternative to avoid further bloodshed, advised the Parliament of Malaysia that it should vote to expel Singapore from Malaysia. Despite last-ditch attempts by PAP leaders, including Lee Kuan Yew, to keep Singapore as a state in the union, the Parliament on August 9, 1965 voted 126-0 in favour of the expulsion of Singapore, with members of Parliament from Singapore not present. On that day, a tearful Lee Kuan Yew announced that Singapore was a sovereign, independent nation and assumed the role of prime minister of the new nation. His speech included this quote: "For me, it is a moment of anguish. All my life, my whole adult life, I have believed in merger and unity of the two territories." Hence, Singapore became the only country in the history of the modern world to gain independence against its own will." - Singapore in Malaysia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-20-2013, 01:10 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Singapore was expelled from Malaysia:

Singapore in Malaysia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lee Kuan Yew knew what he was going. He wanted to separate Singapore from Malaya but do it in a way that made it look like Singapore was being kicked out. Take a look at some scholarly studies, not Wikipedia, aka "Encyclopedia Lite".

Let me guess: You also buy into the UMNO line that they rule for the betterment of Malaysia?

Old 02-20-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Lee Kuan Yew knew what he was going. He wanted to separate Singapore from Malaya but do it in a way that made it look like Singapore was being kicked out. Take a look at some scholarly studies, not Wikipedia, aka "Encyclopedia Lite".

Let me guess: You also buy into the UMNO line that they rule for the betterment of Malaysia?
So you think those were crocodile tears all for show?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia