U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 03:16 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times

Advertisements

Technically Asia stretches from Turkey to New Guinea, from the Urals to the Bering Strait. It has over 4 billion people with a vast array of different peoples and cultures. There is little to unify peoples as diverse as Israelis, Siberian tribes, and Indonesians.

How much of a sense of pan-Asian unity is there? If not the Middle East or Asia Russia, what of East and South-East Asia? Does an Indian feel any affinity with a Chinese person, as an Asian? In a way Indian culture is as distinct from the rest of Asia as European, although there are religious links and the rice growing thing.

I'd say East and South East Asia is sort of one 'bloc', while South Asia is another, but the two often meet. Singapore and Malaysia is where the two cultures mingle. The same could be said for Dubai and the Middle East. Being Singaporean by birth anyway, I've always been familiar with South Asian culture and do think there is at least some sort of pan-Asian kinship.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:29 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
I notice very little in Japan or Korea. Korea seems to have a deep mistrust of Japan, and Korea has a superiority complex over it's less wealthy neighbors, including China.

Japan actually seems more open, but none of it's neighbors trust it much, etc.

Southeast Asians appear much more open though.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I notice very little in Japan or Korea. Korea seems to have a deep mistrust of Japan, and Korea has a superiority complex over it's less wealthy neighbors, including China.

Japan actually seems more open, but none of it's neighbors trust it much, etc.

Southeast Asians appear much more open though.
I'm not so familiar with attitudes in Japan and Korea, but I assume they're more homogeneous/suspicious there.

Singapore is probably the closest example of a fairly harmonious pan-Asiatic nation. Singaporeans of all ancestries, Chinese, Malay, Indian and other, are united by being Singaporean and there's more of a sense of being 'Singaporean first' I think than Malaysia, where the government sort of alienates people. Growing up here in Australia many of my friends were Singaporeans or Malaysian Indian. South East Asia - well moreso Singapore and Malaysia, seems to be more cosmopolitan and worldly than East or Northeast Asia. Despite Japan's influence it seems quite a closed country still.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:18 AM

1,953 posts, read 5,202,766 times
most all asians have something against another group because of Asian Hierarchy and animosity from the long history of conflict between those countries

each group feels they are superior to the other group in some way , seems like the further North east you go the more superior they think they are

the more south you go the lower the status

I heard Japan was the most racist and even have certain restaurants / bars that Do Not allow non Japanese customers

the only pan asian unity Ive seen is Chinese uniting with other Chinese from SEA countries

like a Singaporian Chinese with a Hong Kong Chinese, or a Chinese Malaysian with a Chinese Filipino, or a Chinese Vietnamese with a Taiwanese Chinese, etc

since most ethic Chinese usually retain their identity / language when they immigrate to another asian country

Old 10-09-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
most all asians have something against another group because of Asian Hierarchy and animosity from the long history of conflict between those countries

each group feels they are superior to the other group in some way , seems like the further North east you go the more superior they think they are

the more south you go the lower the status

I heard Japan was the most racist and even have certain restaurants / bars that Do Not allow non Japanese customers

the only pan asian unity Ive seen is Chinese uniting with other Chinese from SEA countries

like a Singaporian Chinese with a Hong Kong Chinese, or a Chinese Malaysian with a Chinese Filipino, or a Chinese Vietnamese with a Taiwanese Chinese, etc

since most ethic Chinese usually retain their identity / language when they immigrate to another asian country
Which is why I compare the Chinese to the Jews. Both seem to think themselves really important and 'special people', which is part of the reason many maintain their culture. Chinese culture has influenced all of East and SE Asia in some ways so it is the 'mother lode' so to speak of the Eastern culture.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:35 AM

1,953 posts, read 5,202,766 times
here is one example of asian unity I see in the local asian markets

a Chinese from Hong Kong going to a Vietnamese fish market or deli to buy a roast duck or some meat from the butcher, often the Vietnamese can speak the same dialect and easily communicate with a Hong Kong Chinese person, even if the Chinese Vietnamese person's family has been in Vietnam for many generations, he may have come from the Cholon distric in Saigon [Saigon's chinatown]

Old 10-09-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
here is one example of asian unity I see in the local asian markets

a Chinese from Hong Kong going to a Vietnamese fish market or deli to buy a roast duck or some meat from the butcher, often the Vietnamese can speak the same dialect and easily communicate with a Hong Kong Chinese person, even if the Chinese Vietnamese person's family has been in Vietnam for many generations, he may have come from the Cholon distric in Saigon [Saigon's chinatown]
If it's Cantonese, yes. I do wonder about the term 'Overseas Chinese' how applicable it is. My ancestry is mostly from China if you go back far enough, I think most recently my great grandparents migrated to Singapore in the late 1800s so that's still over 100 years ago. I do not speak any Chinese language, or am really Chinese culturally so am I really 'Chinese' in the true nationalistic/cultural sense of the word? No more so than an Italian who isn't culturally Italian anymore. My nationality by birth is Singaporean, but I never really lived there so the closest thing to an identity I have is Australian, which is sort of a shallow identity. I kind of resent the idea that I'm put under this umbrella of 'Overseas Chinese.'

Old 10-10-2012, 09:04 AM

218 posts, read 1,156,823 times
As someone living in Canada I'll say while I definitely believe everyone when they say that there is very little concept of a pan-Asian identity within Asia itself, there is definitely a pan-Asian identity among Asians in North America. Particularly among east Asians (Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Southeast Asians). Sometimes Indians/South Asians seem included in this pan Asian identity but mostly not; they are outliers in it.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:17 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,578,948 times
The only time I see any form of Asian unity (albeit an imperfect one) is when the FIFA World Cup rolls around. Teams whose fans typically hate the other team would not think twice of rooting for that typically hated rival when they play a non-Asian squad. At least that's what I notice online (including the comments section on FIFA.com) during the month-long tournament....

Old 10-10-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum237 View Post
As someone living in Canada I'll say while I definitely believe everyone when they say that there is very little concept of a pan-Asian identity within Asia itself, there is definitely a pan-Asian identity among Asians in North America. Particularly among east Asians (Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Southeast Asians). Sometimes Indians/South Asians seem included in this pan Asian identity but mostly not; they are outliers in it.
In my high school, there were a lot of Asians - both East, SE and South Asian who hung together in the 'nerdy' group. They weren't all nerds but it was kind of nerdy. I guess the fact many were from Singapore and Malaysia meant they had a lot in common. I had a Sri Lankan Singaporean friend and an Indian Malaysian friend in school for instance. There were also a few from India itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or