U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2014, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,849,430 times
Reputation: 796

Advertisements

Pushing and cutting in line are not acceptable in the Philippines.

 
Old 06-10-2014, 10:35 AM
 
Location: San Francisco, California
1,953 posts, read 5,205,573 times
Reputation: 2294
pushing and bumping is also a sign of possible pick pockets

my father once told me a guy used a razor blade and tried to cut his pocket and steal his wallet

be very cautious around people who bump in to you in asia, it could be a pick pocket

especially in crowded places or on a crowded bus, a person could use it as a form of distraction and take something out of your bag at the same time

Last edited by mr bolo; 06-10-2014 at 10:44 AM..
 
Old 06-10-2014, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,121,205 times
Reputation: 4565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm in Taiwan right now and its probably the most well mannered, ordered Asian country I've been to, maybe the Japanese influence. Everyone stands in a neat line to board trains and the rule of standing on the right side of the escalator is always adhered to. People always offer their seats for old people, who often politely decline. People also seem to say please, thankyou and sorry more than the mainland.
Ummmm this is kind of accurate.A good thing about Taiwan I suppose
 
Old 06-10-2014, 12:14 PM
 
399 posts, read 579,865 times
Reputation: 319
I haven't traveled all over Asia, but in the Hong Kong airport I had this happen to me, but I think most of these people were Chinese but not from Hong Kong.
 
Old 06-10-2014, 06:22 PM
 
20 posts, read 36,284 times
Reputation: 25
Pushing, jumping in queues are considered rude in the Philippines. Try doing it and people will call you out for it.

Filipinos are used to long lines in gov't offices, supermarkets and even fastfoods so they know how to fall in line.

In some establishments like banks, we have a thing called "priority number system". The moment you enter a bank, you get a priority number. Bank tellers won't deal with you until your number is called.
 
Old 06-10-2014, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,241,785 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea_kristy View Post
Pushing, jumping in queues are considered rude in the Philippines. Try doing it and people will call you out for it.

Filipinos are used to long lines in gov't offices, supermarkets and even fastfoods so they know how to fall in line.

In some establishments like banks, we have a thing called "priority number system". The moment you enter a bank, you get a priority number. Bank tellers won't deal with you until your number is called.
So the PH stands out among developing Asian nations in that regard. It seems the more westernised countries or those influenced by Japan, as wel as the more developed countries have a stronger code of etiquette. Singapore, Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia, Philippines. In Singapore when I was leaving the train a girl reprimanded, 'would you please wait?'
 
Old 06-10-2014, 09:09 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
12,588 posts, read 15,054,657 times
Reputation: 12128
I agree, Filipinos are very well mannered in this regard. The worst offenders, who have "no clue" about lines, queues and what their functions are, are:

1/ Chinese, especially from Mainland China (Chinese from the US are a much more polite group of people)
2/ Indians (Just as bad as Mainland Chinese)
3/ Vietnamese

Japanese are very polite, as well as Singaporeans.

Learn your manners, people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea_kristy View Post
Pushing, jumping in queues are considered rude in the Philippines. Try doing it and people will call you out for it.

Filipinos are used to long lines in gov't offices, supermarkets and even fastfoods so they know how to fall in line.

In some establishments like banks, we have a thing called "priority number system". The moment you enter a bank, you get a priority number. Bank tellers won't deal with you until your number is called.
 
Old 06-11-2014, 06:40 AM
 
110 posts, read 106,710 times
Reputation: 25
Be it in a developed countries or in a poor country, when you were physically pushed for no reason at all is considered rudeness to the pusher. It is not a culture thing...it may have become a way of life for some because it's what they have learned since when they were little or it's what the circumstance is needed for them to do it...
it's not true that you could not even witness a single occurrence of pushing in a developed world...or that youll expect people from the undeveloped Asian world to push you over in a queue...
it's just plain stereotyping.
 
Old 06-11-2014, 06:45 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,241,785 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot09 View Post
Be it in a developed countries or in a poor country, when you were physically pushed for no reason at all is considered rudeness to the pusher. It is not a culture thing...it may have become a way of life for some because it's what they have learned since when they were little or it's what the circumstance is needed for them to do it...
it's not true that you could not even witness a single occurrence of pushing in a developed world...or that youll expect people from the undeveloped Asian world to push you over in a queue...
it's just plain stereotyping.
In Sydney I was physically pushed out of the way on the elevator by someone yelling 'get out of the way!' It hasn't happened anywhere else.
 
Old 06-11-2014, 06:47 AM
 
110 posts, read 106,710 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
In Sydney I was physically pushed out of the way on the elevator by someone yelling 'get out of the way!' It hasn't happened anywhere else.
either he was trying to get to the toilet badly or he was just plain rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top