U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 10:19 PM

919 posts, read 603,026 times

Advertisements

I believe color preferences differ from country to country.

White is popular color in Japan. Here is an example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 02:23 AM

931 posts, read 614,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Wow that mask is awful looking. lol

It shows people will buy anything if marketed well.
Food water and shleter are the only things anyone really needs, everything else is marketed, whoever is the best at manipulating people will make the most money.

On an off note, Asian women unlike Caucasians have flat features, dark skin tend to wash Asian features out. I am an Asian woman and lighter skin looks better.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-26-2015 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: Language, if you have to alter a word to get past our filters, you can't use it.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:58 AM

5,433 posts, read 3,506,314 times
Sad, but strange. Chinese are already light skinned for the most part, makes little sense.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:01 AM

5,433 posts, read 3,506,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
Food water and shleter are the only things anyone really needs, everything else is marketed, whoever is the best at manipulating people will make the most money.

On an off note, Asian women unlike Caucasians have flat features, dark skin tend to wash Asian features out. I am an Asian woman and lighter skin looks better.
Not one is better than the other, whatever one is naturally.
I disagree that it makes one washed out. Too pale can be pretty creepy. By the features can go well with different skin tones, like blonde and tan, dark brown eyes with pale skin.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:12 AM

36,485 posts, read 43,777,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
I believe color preferences differ from country to country.

White is popular color in Japan. Here is an example.
this thread is about skin color...not car color.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:51 PM

919 posts, read 603,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
this thread is about skin color...not car color.
We Japanese sees white color as a symbol for purity, and we respect it. It is natural for us to prefer light skin, isn't it? This is what I intended to mean.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:26 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,265,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Wow that mask is awful looking. lol

It shows people will buy anything if marketed well.
They may look awful (which I agree) but in 20 years those who wear it will look 10 years younger than those who don't assuming similar sun exposure.

Don't judge. We Asians think those long trunks American men wear to swim look awful too.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:02 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,222,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
We Japanese sees white color as a symbol for purity, and we respect it. It is natural for us to prefer light skin, isn't it? This is what I intended to mean.
If that's the case, somebody goofed when they selected Ariana Miyamoto as Miss Universe Japan 2015.
Multiracial Miss Universe Japan hopes to change homeland's thinking on identity -- The Japan Times

Old 07-28-2015, 03:11 PM

1,424 posts, read 735,637 times
East Asia has the same latitude as North Africa and the Middle East. UV can be pretty strong in summer and it is wise to protect themselves.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:19 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,359,093 times
I think a lot of people in the West look at it through a Eurocentric lens which paints it as an issue of race, and then take an anti-racist bent against it and decry the whole thing as being a case of self-loathing or cultural imperialism, without realizing that a) not all Asians are dark, or even medium-complected, and b) it's an aesthetic preference that has existed since long before Europeans appeared on the scene. A lot of asians are puzzled as to why white people like tanning and looking darker.

I remember when a Chinese-American friend of mine got in a debate with a relative over Facebook on the matter, probably aroubd the time this thread started, when there was a hoopla over whitening creams. My friend posted a rant over how disgusting the creams were and that people who used them should be ashamed for "wishing they were white." Her cousin, in her late 30's, explained to her that around the time she started getting cracks around the edge of her eyelids, she started getting little brown freckles that she thought looked nasty, and over the next year or two, they started on her hands, too. This happens to lots of Asian women as they get towards middle age. she said that she used skin whitening cream to make the freckles/spots less noticeable; basically, that she wasn't trying to look like a "white" woman, but like a "younger Asian woman."

my fiance is hugely into fashion and makeup, and makes a side income selling stuff on wechat. She has lighter skin naturally, but explains that whitening creams are used to give you an "even complexion" and not to "make you lighter." If they did, then your face would be a lighter shade than your body and look weird as hell anyways. When I told her about this controversy, she said that the people who worry about this stuff need to "work harder so they don't bother themselves with stupid things" (delivered in a serious, accented monotone).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or