U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 10:13 PM

35 posts, read 34,443 times

Advertisements

Same as well as Indonesia. Most of people prefer pale skin over to dark skin. The Chinese minority are known for their pale skin in Indonesia. But my skin isn't that pale anyway, more like light brown while my little brother is pale as hell .
Funny story, I have one brother and one sister. My mom said when she was pregnant with my sister people around her said that to have a pale skinned child you need to drink a lot of soy milk during your pregnancy (another Chinese myth I think haha) so she drank a loooooooooooot soy milk when she was pregnant with my sister but she ended up rather dark skinned for a han Chinese . Then, when she was pregnant with me, she drank less but still lot of soy milk but I ended up being lighter skinned then my sister. Sooo when she was pregnant with my little brother, the trend was to drink a lot of birdnest (chinese medicine I think? 燕窝) and so, she drank a lot of it and finally my brother now is very light skinned .

But really, I think nothing is wrong with many Asian preferring light skin over dark skin. It also has nothing to do with Asian wanting to become white or bla bla bla. Not everything revolves around white people, you know .
I personally prefer pale skinned girls too. I think the contrast of an asian woman with black hair and pale skin is very beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
my fiance is hugely into fashion and makeup, and makes a side income selling stuff on wechat. She has lighter skin naturally, but explains that whitening creams are used to give you an "even complexion" and not to "make you lighter." If they did, then your face would be a lighter shade than your body and look weird as hell anyways. When I told her about this controversy, she said that the people who worry about this stuff need to "work harder so they don't bother themselves with stupid things" (delivered in a serious, accented monotone).
Yep, heard that a lot from my sister. The name of the cream is BB cream. And a respect for your wife, very sassy lol .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 03:41 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
The proprietors and patrons of tanning salons in Beijing and Shanghai don't appear to possess that opinion...
BBC NEWS -- China's changing skin colour
Xinhuanet.com -- Back to the Bronze Age
The tanning is the "fad" in Asia. It comes and goes with some celebrities such as movie stars or athletes that have darker complexions. The lightening though, is not a fad, but more like what Asians are used to in the absence of any fad.

Not sure why this is surprising... after all, the Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs fairy tale comes from Europe and she was described as the fairest one of all due to her skin as white as snow.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:26 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,351,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
The tanning is the "fad" in Asia. It comes and goes with some celebrities such as movie stars or athletes that have darker complexions. The lightening though, is not a fad, but more like what Asians are used to in the absence of any fad.

Not sure why this is surprising... after all, the Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs fairy tale comes from Europe and she was described as the fairest one of all due to her skin as white as snow.
It's only surprising to people who fell for the line that outside and independent of eurocentric norms, everyone in the world prefers darker skin and that racism was invented by Europeans... well-meaning, but bogus self-loathing (and indirectly, self-important) drivel.

While western social justice advocates decry the ongoing white, patriarchal, racist imperialism destroying beautiful Eastern cultures and their sense of self-worth, Chinese men and women who are convinced of China's insurmountable 5,000 year cultural superiority over the rest of the global riffraff will continue to buy billions of RMB in skin whitening creams in a bid to not look like those disgusting foreigners with their blotchy white-and-pink complexions

Old 07-29-2015, 08:03 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
In Vietnam I noticed most women wear long white gloves while on their motor bikes to keep their arms from getting tan.
Protecting your skin is one thing but deliberately trying to get your skin whiter is harmful. I have 3 Asian daughters and I have them wear protection when outside but I would never tell them they should be whiter. Cultural differences I know but I have to admit, they get really tan in the summer even with protection and they are beautiful.

Latest trend sweeping China: Lighter skin - CBS News
It's not a fad. This has been going on since about forever.

It's a sign of wealth. The whiter your skin, the less you are seen to be a person who works in the fields all day.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:27 AM

1,424 posts, read 734,780 times
Males prefer females with light skin. It's been like that for 10,000 years.
In fact, some scholars suggest sexual selection is the major reason why Europeans have light skin, instead of the old theory of Vitamin D.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:34 AM

5,659 posts, read 3,642,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
When I told her about this controversy, she said that the people who worry about this stuff need to "work harder so they don't bother themselves with stupid things" (delivered in a serious, accented monotone).
If more people followed this excellent advice, we wouldn't have to deal with as many stupid nonsense fads and trends and celebrity gossip and all the other useless tripe of our shallow, narcissistic culture.

As for the topic of this thread, I think that people would be a lot happier if they would just learn to be content within their own skin, whatever shade it happened to be.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:12 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,368,271 times
Well I'm glad Europeans and North Americans aren't responsible for this (nice to know that we aren't the only ones with irrational beauty standards). But has anyone considered the ramifications for darker-skinned minorities or those "unfortunate" enough in to be a darker-skinned member of the majority in these countries that have an obsession with fair skin? I'll argue two things: preference for lighter skin is learned and not natural, and a widespread cultural preference for ANY skin color over another is inherently discriminatory.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:11 AM

376 posts, read 742,607 times
In Jakarta is now not only a commodity bleach creams for women here, but plastic surgery is also much preferred, the real face of you who originally round/falt, snub nose, dark skin can turn into a pretty face with a "tirus" face as well as a clean white leather, , doctors usually come directly from korea.
example:
http://hiburan.metrotvnews.com/read/...-up-di-youtube

Old 07-31-2015, 04:51 AM

1 posts, read 763 times
Yes, the East Asian men prefer light skin women. They consider the darker skin as bad looking.

Most East Asians are not interested in people with darker skin than them.
But western men are often seen hanging with darker skin local women in South East Asia.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:13 AM

4,294 posts, read 3,078,814 times
I don't understand some times either. I have a cousin who has a girl friend from Manila. She is wearing many things to stay out of the son because she is afraid of being dark skin. For me it never a matter I am brown and I am proud of that. But in Asia there is a believing that white skin has good future. I am quiet not sure why how and so and so. But I hear from that girl friend once. she told my face that " for you it does not matter your father is Russian and he is white so you get good job always" So I wonder if I got no qualifications and go for a interview do I get a job because my father is white???? Nah I don't think so. May be I am wrong but I think it is some sort of colonial mentality is. May be I am wrong. At some point stay out of too much of sunlight is not a bad idea now days.
How ever that my neighbor lady got skin burned during some sort of tanning process. As I hear she paid 4500 euros. she should have try 80 cents brown shoe polish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or