U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 10:15 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,347,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
I don't understand some times either. I have a cousin who has a girl friend from Manila. She is wearing many things to stay out of the son because she is afraid of being dark skin. For me it never a matter I am brown and I am proud of that. But in Asia there is a believing that white skin has good future. I am quiet not sure why how and so and so. But I hear from that girl friend once. she told my face that " for you it does not matter your father is Russian and he is white so you get good job always" So I wonder if I got no qualifications and go for a interview do I get a job because my father is white???? Nah I don't think so. May be I am wrong but I think it is some sort of colonial mentality is. May be I am wrong. At some point stay out of too much of sunlight is not a bad idea now days.
How ever that my neighbor lady got skin burned during some sort of tanning process. As I hear she paid 4500 euros. she should have try 80 cents brown shoe polish
There's also a difference between the immigrant experience and that of people in their home countries. In the Philipines, China, Vietnam, India, Thailand, etc, where either a majority of the population or at least a significant chunk of it is darker-skinned, you will naturally see more dark skinned people in high level positions. In northern Europe, where the native people who make up the majority of the population don't have dark skin, you'll see fewer dark skinned people in high level positions.

Some people assume this is because of racism or white privilege, when it's really more that immigrants are more likely to have language and cultural barriers and a lack of contacts that will hold them back. Filipinos, Indians, and Pakistanis are among the highest earning ethnic groups in the US, for example... it just takes a generation or two to integrate. Meanwhile, there are also plenty of low-earning white-skinned people to be found in low-end service and labor jobs all over the EU and North America. An unskilled white guy who shaved, put on a suit, and applied for a job at an accounting firm is probably about as likely to be hired as a Filipino guy with the same lack of credentials.

The preference for light skin in Asia predates colonialism; take a look at artwork depicting beautiful women made in China, Japan, India, Korea, etc, and even in situations in which they aren't depicted as having "white" skin, they are still lighter than the average person from that land. I think it's more that it was a) exotic, b) a sign of wealth and sophiatication (as she would have stayed out of the fields), and c) marital devotion to her husband and family (never leaving the house).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 03:38 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,073,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
I don't understand some times either. I have a cousin who has a girl friend from Manila. She is wearing many things to stay out of the son because she is afraid of being dark skin. For me it never a matter I am brown and I am proud of that. But in Asia there is a believing that white skin has good future. I am quiet not sure why how and so and so. But I hear from that girl friend once. she told my face that " for you it does not matter your father is Russian and he is white so you get good job always" So I wonder if I got no qualifications and go for a interview do I get a job because my father is white???? Nah I don't think so. May be I am wrong but I think it is some sort of colonial mentality is. May be I am wrong. At some point stay out of too much of sunlight is not a bad idea now days.
How ever that my neighbor lady got skin burned during some sort of tanning process. As I hear she paid 4500 euros. she should have try 80 cents brown shoe polish
im Filipino and dark but I would not want anybody to be under the sun without any protection whether its hat or umbrella. its one thing to be sunbathing under the sun in southern California and walking outside under the tropical heat in the Philippines or anywhere else in the tropics.

theres a a reason why farmers wake up early and work in the fields before the sun rises. its just unbearable to be working under the heat of the sun, even if its just 8am. I know, I did that when I was a bum for a while

Old 08-11-2015, 11:30 PM

1,953 posts, read 2,068,651 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D

Old 08-12-2015, 01:40 PM

645 posts, read 609,986 times
Its a fad in most Asia. Skin whitening products are a billion dollar industry and i dont think they work. Sunscreen is fine. Basic protection is fine. Going overboard is just weird.

Its more about being "white" rather than just protection thing.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:14 PM

6,573 posts, read 3,629,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_storm2004 View Post
Its a fad in most Asia. Skin whitening products are a billion dollar industry and i dont think they work. Sunscreen is fine. Basic protection is fine. Going overboard is just weird.
It goes beyond a fad. Tanning in Asia is a fad. When every product thst touches the skin except toothpaste is marketed as skin whitening something more is going on then a fad. No excuse me while I find an Asian market with some imported skin whitening underarm deodorant.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
It goes beyond a fad. Tanning in Asia is a fad. When every product thst touches the skin except toothpaste is marketed as skin whitening something more is going on then a fad. No excuse me while I find an Asian market with some imported skin whitening underarm deodorant.
You mean tanning or not tanning?

Really did not understand what you meant there!

Old 08-12-2015, 03:52 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,073,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_storm2004 View Post

its works for Beyoncé and MJ

Old 08-12-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
its works for Beyoncé and MJ

Give me Whitney any time! MJ.... LEGEND!

Old 08-12-2015, 06:40 PM

103 posts, read 65,469 times
It's sad that people have to resort to changing their skin color because of what society deems beautiful. I can't be bothered by what society says.. However, I do notice that many of my Asian American friends feel so much pressure from family to be lighter and lighter. I'm proud to be a gorgeous 2007 pre-skin lightening treatment Beyonce skin color and I don't care if I get darker or lighter.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:43 PM

It is what it is, unfortunately! The aspect of racism will never go away, so manufacturers will keep raking in the cash!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or