U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2015, 11:19 PM
 
6,667 posts, read 2,470,922 times
Reputation: 4646

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_storm2004 View Post
Its a fad in most Asia. Skin whitening products are a billion dollar industry and i dont think they work. Sunscreen is fine. Basic protection is fine. Going overboard is just weird.

Its more about being "white" rather than just protection thing.
I saw an older Asian woman the other day and her face was scary looking because she wore heavy foundation and powder that was three or more times lighter than her natural skin tone. It was almost Kabuki theater white and she didn't pay attention to the skin on her neck and chest area, which was darker. She probably spent a lot of time and money to achieve that look and it was just awful, but she thinks she looks good so it really doesn't matter what other people think, just as long as she is happy. Skin whitening products are dangerous because it contains a lot of chemicals. If it's only foundation or powder, it won't be so bad, but those skin lightening products can do permanent damage to skin if used for long periods of time or abused. Asian complexions comes in all kinds of shades - there are naturally fair skinned Asians and there are darker toned Asians but currently, well actually for ages, there seems to be this ideal quest to have porcelain white skin and sometimes that just isn't possible for everyone so people try all kinds of stuff to achieve the impossible. It is sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2015, 09:50 AM
 
Location: US
645 posts, read 616,931 times
Reputation: 210
Well most creams are just plain damn sunscreens. They just claim to be fairness cream. Hey... as long as there are takers, companies will rake in the dough!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2015, 01:03 PM
 
Location: WA
35 posts, read 35,003 times
Reputation: 39
sorry double post~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2015, 01:04 PM
 
Location: WA
35 posts, read 35,003 times
Reputation: 39
Umm.. yea.... being 'white'... And I'll just assume that you're talking about skin white not race white cause not again with the whole thing about asian trying to be white or hating their own skin bla bla bla because, breaking news ! apparently, many asian naturally have pale skin too !

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I saw an older Asian woman the other day and her face was scary looking because she wore heavy foundation and powder that was three or more times lighter than her natural skin tone. It was almost Kabuki theater white and she didn't pay attention to the skin on her neck and chest area, which was darker. She probably spent a lot of time and money to achieve that look and it was just awful, but she thinks she looks good so it really doesn't matter what other people think, just as long as she is happy. Skin whitening products are dangerous because it contains a lot of chemicals. If it's only foundation or powder, it won't be so bad, but those skin lightening products can do permanent damage to skin if used for long periods of time or abused. Asian complexions comes in all kinds of shades - there are naturally fair skinned Asians and there are darker toned Asians but currently, well actually for ages, there seems to be this ideal quest to have porcelain white skin and sometimes that just isn't possible for everyone so people try all kinds of stuff to achieve the impossible. It is sad.
And it's just the same as how i as an asian (and i believe many of asian) look at how some white people use tan spray or go to tanning salon. they probably spent a lot of time and money to achieve that look and it was just awful, but they think they look good so it really doesn't matter what other people think, just as long as they're happy. Tanning bed is dangerous as it can cause skin cancers including melanoma (the deadliest type of skin cancer), basal cell carcinoma, and squamous cell carcinoma. Also, there are several studies suggest that the active ingredient in spray tans, DHA, may damage DNA and cause cancer !
White complexions comes in all kinds of shades - there are naturally tan skinned Whites and there are lighter toned Whites but currently, well actually for ages, there seems to be this ideal quest to have tan skin and sometimes that just isn't possible for everyone so people try all kinds of stuff to achieve the impossible. It is sad.

Yes, it is very sad !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2015, 10:30 PM
 
6,667 posts, read 2,470,922 times
Reputation: 4646
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanindonesia View Post
Umm.. yea.... being 'white'... And I'll just assume that you're talking about skin white not race white cause not again with the whole thing about asian trying to be white or hating their own skin bla bla bla because, breaking news ! apparently, many asian naturally have pale skin too !



And it's just the same as how i as an asian (and i believe many of asian) look at how some white people use tan spray or go to tanning salon. they probably spent a lot of time and money to achieve that look and it was just awful, but they think they look good so it really doesn't matter what other people think, just as long as they're happy. Tanning bed is dangerous as it can cause skin cancers including melanoma (the deadliest type of skin cancer), basal cell carcinoma, and squamous cell carcinoma. Also, there are several studies suggest that the active ingredient in spray tans, DHA, may damage DNA and cause cancer !
White complexions comes in all kinds of shades - there are naturally tan skinned Whites and there are lighter toned Whites but currently, well actually for ages, there seems to be this ideal quest to have tan skin and sometimes that just isn't possible for everyone so people try all kinds of stuff to achieve the impossible. It is sad.

Yes, it is very sad !
Yes, other end of the spectrum true, too - people tanning and also using chemicals and tanning beds to achieve that golden brown look with the risk later on of melanoma. People take so many risks to achieve this look they think is beautiful and maybe in their mind they really think they are beautiful and it makes them feel happy, but at what health cost?

I was talking about Asian skin tone, not about turning "white". Asian people have many complexions and some are born with naturally pale skin and they did nothing to achieve it, they are just born that way. That complexion stays pretty much with them the rest of their lives. They have that complexion that is prized but when you think of it, it's just another ideal of beauty ingrained in the culture. In the old days, people used to think that people with pale skin were wealthy and stayed indoors most of the day, while the workers that toiled under the hot sun in the fields naturally have darker complexions. Pale skin meant you were rich and of a higher class. Thank goodness people don't think that way anymore, but it is a carryover from a long gone past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2015, 12:01 AM
 
Location: US
645 posts, read 616,931 times
Reputation: 210
I meant the race thing though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2015, 12:02 PM
 
Location: WA
35 posts, read 35,003 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Yes, other end of the spectrum true, too - people tanning and also using chemicals and tanning beds to achieve that golden brown look with the risk later on of melanoma. People take so many risks to achieve this look they think is beautiful and maybe in their mind they really think they are beautiful and it makes them feel happy, but at what health cost?

I was talking about Asian skin tone, not about turning "white". Asian people have many complexions and some are born with naturally pale skin and they did nothing to achieve it, they are just born that way. That complexion stays pretty much with them the rest of their lives. They have that complexion that is prized but when you think of it, it's just another ideal of beauty ingrained in the culture. In the old days, people used to think that people with pale skin were wealthy and stayed indoors most of the day, while the workers that toiled under the hot sun in the fields naturally have darker complexions. Pale skin meant you were rich and of a higher class. Thank goodness people don't think that way anymore, but it is a carryover from a long gone past.
Well thank God you mean that way ! It's just a matter of preference, really. I don't have any problem of people wanting to make their skin lighter or darker if they're doing it in healthy way.
Most Asian prefer fair skin, while most white prefer dark skin. Nothing wrong with both of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_storm2004 View Post
I meant the race thing though!
Yeah. But no thanks, I love being Asian and have no plan to become 'race white'. And also most of my friends too.
Well many Asians actually do admire some of white people's feature, like eyes. I think having other eye color than black is really cool and interesting. But does that mean I want to be white ? No, thanks ! Some stupid asian girls do wanna be white though ! Just the same as how some white weaboos wishing they were asian.
Also, I don't see people screaming white people want to be Asian just because they dye their hair black or white people want to be black just because they tan themselves hmmm........
remember, not everything revolves around white people lol. why can't some white people just understand that ? you're only special to some people who never saw any white people, the same special as some people who never saw giraffes or pandas. sorry for the analogy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2015, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,805 posts, read 13,428,343 times
Reputation: 11338
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanindonesia View Post
Well thank God you mean that way ! It's just a matter of preference, really. I don't have any problem of people wanting to make their skin lighter or darker if they're doing it in healthy way.
Most Asian prefer fair skin, while most white prefer dark skin. Nothing wrong with both of it.


Yeah. But no thanks, I love being Asian and have no plan to become 'race white'. And also most of my friends too.
Well many Asians actually do admire some of white people's feature, like eyes. I think having other eye color than black is really cool and interesting. But does that mean I want to be white ? No, thanks ! Some stupid asian girls do wanna be white though ! Just the same as how some white weaboos wishing they were asian.
Also, I don't see people screaming white people want to be Asian just because they dye their hair black or white people want to be black just because they tan themselves hmmm........
remember, not everything revolves around white people lol. why can't some white people just understand that ? you're only special to some people who never saw any white people, the same special as some people who never saw giraffes or pandas. sorry for the analogy.
I've tried to explain this to people before, usually without success. In the West, especially the US, people are increasingly trained to read race into everything, because we are melting pots of different racial groups and have histories of institutionalized racism that we have had to address moving forward. Asian nations generally lack this history. Even the post-colonial nations tend to lack Eurocentric beauty standards - as is the case with Africa - because it's totally unrealistic and also reminds people of an ugly, embarassing, and shameful time in their history.

Go anywhere in China and you'll see young women with blonde hair and blue contact lenses eating Chinese food, listening to Chinese music, making no effort to be "western" or "white." There are Japanese mangas and anime that have a blonde haired, blue-eyed girl named Tomoko Mitsubara or something like that. It's just an aesthetic to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2015, 05:10 AM
 
Location: 東京
30 posts, read 22,481 times
Reputation: 37
Is it really a fad in China? In Japan, it's not a "fad", it's a millenniums-old tradition. Light skin means you are elite enough to not had to have worked outside, and it continues to this day (Korea is very similar from what I know).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2015, 06:28 AM
 
Location: Elysium
6,657 posts, read 3,699,747 times
Reputation: 4623
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcityguy0 View Post
Is it really a fad in China? In Japan, it's not a "fad", it's a millenniums-old tradition. Light skin means you are elite enough to not had to have worked outside, and it continues to this day (Korea is very similar from what I know).
And India and Pakistan and the Philippines and so on and so on.......It is only when global communications became what it has that we have been able to see advertising from there easily and see the underarm deodorant promising to whiten your skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top